Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Acura 1.6EL 2000 P0420/P0430

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Acura 1.6EL 2000 P0420/P0430

Hey,

New here, this seems to be the most active forum I could find regarding Honda/Civics.

I have a P0420 & P0430 code on my MIL. This code came up after I took it to a garage to change the spark plugs. Any idea why this code will show up after a spark plug change?

I haven't tested the secondary oxygen sensor using a multimeter yet, so I will do that.

My question is, if my Oxygen sensor needs to be replaced, which brand/part should I buy? There's quite a few to select from. I would like the one with with the connector at the end.

I am from Canada, Ontario. Is there any other place I can order online for a cheaper price? If not, the below will do.

http://canada.autopartswarehouse.com...shipping2|GT+0

Thank you

Last edited by ssidenable; 08-10-2014 at 11:25 AM.
Old 08-10-2014, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Acura 1.6EL 2000 P0420/P0430

When you are looking up certain parts for your Acura 1.6 EL (mechanical parts I mean, not cosmetic parts), you should look it up instead for a 2000 Honda Civic sedan. It is the same car as your EL except with a Honda badge instead of an Acura badge. The only reason I say this is because sometimes the EL parts are more expensive than the Civic parts because it is Acura instead of Honda.
Old 08-10-2014, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by andoxviii
When you are looking up certain parts for your Acura 1.6 EL (mechanical parts I mean, not cosmetic parts), you should look it up instead for a 2000 Honda Civic sedan. It is the same car as your EL except with a Honda badge instead of an Acura badge. The only reason I say this is because sometimes the EL parts are more expensive than the Civic parts because it is Acura instead of Honda.
Oh that's a good idea, never thought of that. So the equivalent is Honda Civic Si? I'm not too sure.
Old 08-10-2014, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ssidenable
Oh that's a good idea, never thought of that. So the equivalent is Honda Civic Si? I'm not too sure.
Oh ****...I'm just thinking...no Canadian Civic sedan had the D16Y8 engine like the American version. That is why we had the Acura EL in the first place.

So my idea works with everything except the engine, transmission or clutch. In those cases, you should look up a 2000 Honda Civic Si coupe.
Old 08-10-2014, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by andoxviii
Oh ****...I'm just thinking...no Canadian Civic sedan had the D16Y8 engine like the American version. That is why we had the Acura EL in the first place.

So my idea works with everything except the engine, transmission or clutch. In those cases, you should look up a 2000 Honda Civic Si coupe.
Ok this has nothing to do with those, so I should be good to go with Civic Si?

Either way, after reading the sticky above, found this part at Canadian online retailer,

Sorted by Acura 1.6 EL $67
http://www.autopartsway.ca/PartDetai.../pagenum1/tabS

Denso or NTK is recommended, but they don't seem to have NTK. I can't tell if the above one comes with a male connector though.

Sorted by Honda Civic $98
http://www.autopartsway.ca/PartDetai.../pagenum1/tabS

This one shows a male connector. Any other recommendations from this site? Priced in USD.

http://canada.autopartswarehouse.com...h&No=10&Npp=10
Old 08-10-2014, 09:24 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

Wow, this is a tricky one for OP. User andoxviii is correct stating that you should look up parts for a Civic with a D16Y8 engine, and that the only Canadian equivalent with that engine is the Civic Si. However, that autopartsway.ca site uses THE AMERICAN TRIM LEVELS for the vehicles there, so it's very confusing. Well, there is some Canadian stuff mixed in ad hoc but that doesn't make it any better or easier.

However, before you get in to dropping $$ for another sensor, the fact that your mechanic changed some spark plugs then your O2 sensor stopped working really raises some red flags. Did it happen instantly, like on the drive home? Or was this days or weeks later. Check under the hood first - maybe they broke something, or knocked something. However are these codes for the upstream or downstream sensor? Be sure you're buying the right sensor for the correct location if you do need to replace it.

I believe this is a list of compatible O2 sensors for your engine: http://www.autopartsway.ca/PartList..../pagenum1/tabS ... note NTK = NGK and don't bother with Bosch for a Honda.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:32 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

Also confirm part numbers with this: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raca...&parttype=5132

vs.

EX models here: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raca...&parttype=5132

...then run the part numbers through Amazon.CA. You'll find some surprisingly good prices sometimes. Example: http://www.amazon.ca/gp/offer-listin...&condition=new
Old 08-11-2014, 05:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by deschlong
Wow, this is a tricky one for OP. User andoxviii is correct stating that you should look up parts for a Civic with a D16Y8 engine, and that the only Canadian equivalent with that engine is the Civic Si. However, that autopartsway.ca site uses THE AMERICAN TRIM LEVELS for the vehicles there, so it's very confusing. Well, there is some Canadian stuff mixed in ad hoc but that doesn't make it any better or easier.

However, before you get in to dropping $$ for another sensor, the fact that your mechanic changed some spark plugs then your O2 sensor stopped working really raises some red flags. Did it happen instantly, like on the drive home? Or was this days or weeks later. Check under the hood first - maybe they broke something, or knocked something. However are these codes for the upstream or downstream sensor? Be sure you're buying the right sensor for the correct location if you do need to replace it.

I believe this is a list of compatible O2 sensors for your engine: http://www.autopartsway.ca/PartList..../pagenum1/tabS ... note NTK = NGK and don't bother with Bosch for a Honda.
My car broke down and it was towed to the mechanic. He changed the spark plugs and the distributor as far as I know. It took just one day for the MIL to come on, probably just one cycle. I went back to the mechanic, he re-checked what he did and found no problem. He then told me the code, and cleared it. Of course it came back, but I haven't gone back to see the mechanic.

I've also opened up the hood and rechecked all the wiring, and fluids. I don't see anything that's knocked over or broken bits. Should I open up the distributor to check? I don't believe he opened that up when he re-checked it.

The code is not specific to upstream or downstream sensor. It's a P0420/P0430 for the cat converter, and my own OBDII doesn't display any more info than that.

Before I replace the o2 sensor I do plan on going through the troubleshooting and checking the voltage.

Other than that I am at a loss to what's causing this issue. I don't want to go to the mechanic for him to diagnose both o2 sensor and cat converter and charge me $1k. Any idea what I can do to narrow it down where the problem may be? I also like to add this code has come and gone for the past 3 or 4 years whenever something was done to the car. No other code just this one (P0420) I don't actually remember what was done, my family member took it to the mechanic at the time. It has always just been cleared, then it doesn't come up. This time after the spark plug/distributor even after a few clears it comes back.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hi,

After doing some troubleshooting and looking at all other things that might cause problems, I've decided to change the downstream oxygen sensor.

NTK 24546 NGK/NTK Packaging Oxygen Sensor: Amazon.ca: Automotive NTK 24546 NGK/NTK Packaging Oxygen Sensor: Amazon.ca: Automotive

Other than the one above, would it be possible for someone more experience to look up a compatible Honda Civic part at http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/

I will try and find it on a canadian site with the part number. Reason I ask is, it's much cheaper as you guys mentioned above.

Thank you