Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

ACT 4 VS 6 PUCK CLUTCH

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ACT 4 VS 6 PUCK CLUTCH

Just wondering how many of you out there are running an ACT 4 OR 6 puck sprung clutch? If you have either which pressure plate do you run, (xtreme or heavy duty)? How do you like it? Are you running boost or N/A? Hows the peddle feel? Just curious, looking for boost fairly soon and want to know mainly what the difference/feel is between the 4 and 6 puck. Any one feel free to chime in!
Old 02-09-2010, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ACT 4 VS 6 PUCK CLUTCH

im runnin a fidanza 6 puck with a lightweight flywheel the car is boosted imo its not the best for daily driving best for track where its in or out...
Old 02-09-2010, 10:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would NEVER run a puck clutch for DD unless i had no other option presented to me. They are stiff and they engage choppy, dont like heat well either.

what kind of numbers are you looking to make when your boosted?
Old 02-09-2010, 10:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I use an act 6 puck clutch with a heavy duty plate and a light weight flywheel. I daily drive this set up and at first it is annoying but i drive it like its a normal clutch. Just takes a matter of getting used to. At first i would spin tires everywhere but now i take off smoothly. Its good for daily use IMO and it gets put to use when i feel like hitting gears. Just have patience in traffic. If u enjoy driving ur car at its full potential then it is worth it.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 93egSLEEPER
I would NEVER run a puck clutch for DD unless i had no other option presented to me. They are stiff and they engage choppy, dont like heat well either.

what kind of numbers are you looking to make when your boosted?
I understand its not going to be the most forgiving clutch, the thing is I use to run a ACT HD pressure plate w/ street/strip disc on my old mildly modified prelude and I felt it wasn't enough (still broke 2 springs in the disc in about 20K miles). I just want something that engages a little more harsh so to speak.. Lookin for about 250-280 daily after its built.

Originally Posted by pi Ka chuuu
I use an act 6 puck clutch with a heavy duty plate and a light weight flywheel. I daily drive this set up and at first it is annoying but i drive it like its a normal clutch. Just takes a matter of getting used to. At first i would spin tires everywhere but now i take off smoothly. Its good for daily use IMO and it gets put to use when i feel like hitting gears. Just have patience in traffic. If u enjoy driving ur car at its full potential then it is worth it.
Thats the clutch combo I was thinking of. As I heard the 4 puck is more of a track use only kind of clutch. Although I've heard of quite a few people that still DD w/ a 4 puck..

Anyone else have opinions keep em' coming! Any one running a 4 puck w/ HD pressure plate?
Old 02-10-2010, 11:03 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 93egSLEEPER
I couldn't disagree more. I have an Competition Clutch Stage 4 (6pk) and it has nice engagement. Prior to this, i ran an Exedy 3 puck and was also very impressed with its drivability. I don't understand the hesitance to run a pucked clutch. I daily my Integra and have NO complaints about it whatsoever...
Old 02-10-2010, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Schister66
I couldn't disagree more. I have an Competition Clutch Stage 4 (6pk) and it has nice engagement. Prior to this, i ran an Exedy 3 puck and was also very impressed with its drivability. I don't understand the hesitance to run a pucked clutch. I daily my Integra and have NO complaints about it whatsoever...
Awesome, glad to hear it.. I'm not going to let anyone sway me from my decision I'm just curious as to what everyone thought. I just don't know if I want the 4 or 6.. Hmmmm...
Old 02-10-2010, 12:11 PM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont know what kind of power you're looking for, but i'm sure that Competition Clutch makes something that will fit your needs. I heard good reviews about them which is why i purchased one when the time came. I'm not saying that ACT is bad, but i have had great success with my CC Stage 4 and would highly recommend it. Hell, even if you dont need the torque capacity that it offers, the stage 4 is a very streetable clutch and removes the issue of upgrading if/when you decide you want more power.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Schister66
I dont know what kind of power you're looking for, but i'm sure that Competition Clutch makes something that will fit your needs. I heard good reviews about them which is why i purchased one when the time came. I'm not saying that ACT is bad, but i have had great success with my CC Stage 4 and would highly recommend it. Hell, even if you dont need the torque capacity that it offers, the stage 4 is a very streetable clutch and removes the issue of upgrading if/when you decide you want more power.
I just checked out the stage 4 from CC. I might give it a try, looks good enough.. Its like 7 dollars cheaper than the ACT and has 6 springs on the disc as opposed to 4. How long have you had yours in for?
Old 02-10-2010, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't know if there's anything about Honda's that make them different from other cars in this aspect, but where I come from a Stage 1 competition clutch kit for a Turbo Miata is good for 318lb/ft and is only slightly stiffer than a stock clutch. Even the stage 2 kit is good for 353lb/ft and uses a full surfaced disk. Is there really a need for pucked clutches for anything lower than that?
Old 02-11-2010, 05:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 96romaEK
I don't know if there's anything about Honda's that make them different from other cars in this aspect, but where I come from a Stage 1 competition clutch kit for a Turbo Miata is good for 318lb/ft and is only slightly stiffer than a stock clutch. Even the stage 2 kit is good for 353lb/ft and uses a full surfaced disk. Is there really a need for pucked clutches for anything lower than that?
While there may not be a need for it, I stated in an earlier post I use to run a ACT HD pressure plate w/ street/strip disc on a mildly modified prelude and I broke 2 springs within 20K miles. Also I really want something stiffer with quicker engagement/ disengagement, but still want it to be streetable.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone else using an ACT 4 or 6 puck??
Old 02-11-2010, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well now they are making a sprung version of the clutch's puck 4 and 6 , this guy i knew one time put a 4 puck un sprung act kit in his sohc coup , boosted, killed his legs and take off , then broke off inside his trans because of dd he hated it, but 6 is more of a ok set-up and if it has springs all the better.

but deffenelty not 4 puck. and has any one every seen the pads on the puck discs, they are not worth any life span.

i had the 6 about a few months ago was nice set-up and had lots of hold and clam, the kit is worth it but the full disc clutchs are getting better mad today and are safer and longer lasting.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well now they are making a sprung version of the clutch's puck 4 and 6 , this guy i knew one time put a 4 puck un sprung act kit in his sohc coup , boosted, killed his legs and take off , then broke off inside his trans because of dd he hated it, but 6 is more of a ok set-up and if it has springs all the better.

but deffenelty not 4 puck. and has any one every seen the pads on the puck discs, they are not worth any life span.

i had the 6 about a few months ago was nice set-up and had lots of hold and clamp, the kit is worth it but the full disc clutchs are getting better mad today and are safer and longer lasting.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bobbyeg6

i had the 6 about a few months ago was nice set-up and had lots of hold and clamp, the kit is worth it but the full disc clutchs are getting better mad today and are safer and longer lasting.
yeah i would definitely get a sprung disc. im probably going to get the 6 puck anyways, either ACT or a Competition Clutch stage four. either one with a HD pressure plate.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also redrocket I left out that my 6 puck clutch was an unsprung type. Idk if that makes a difference in your decision, Just trying to be as accurate as possible to help u better.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by pi Ka chuuu
Also redrocket I left out that my 6 puck clutch was an unsprung type. Idk if that makes a difference in your decision, Just trying to be as accurate as possible to help u better.
can you feel the peddle difference in sprung and unsprung?
Old 02-11-2010, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I never drove a clutch with springs so idk from experience. I do know from what ive read the springs reduce shock on the driveline. But since ive never driven one i cant tell u the difference in how it feels. All i can say is my 6 puck unsprung grabs hard lol I spin up to 4th gear on a 1.6, b16 that is.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah i think im gonna try out the sprung for a little while and if i dont like it just sell the disc to my buddy and get an unsprung disc