Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Accident - car is probably totalled - need help with insurance claims

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 10:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accident - car is probably totalled - need help with insurance claims

The accident:
So I will try to make the story of the accident short... I was going about 5mph or less in stop and go traffic behind a ford explorer when a minivan slams into the back of my car and pushes me into the back of the ford explorer. Clearly the minivan's fault. My 99 hatch is almost certainly done while the minivan and explorer had minimal to no damage. We all have insurance.

The damage:
The radiator support, fenders, VIS carbon fiber hood, CTR headlights, Si grill, OEM bumper, are all gone. Engine seems fine and runs but the driver's side mount split open and shot fluid everywhere.
The back bumper, hatch, quarter panel, frame, tail lights, and muffler are all gone. (not to mention a custom sub box I just finished a week ago).

My concern:
My concern is with the claims on the damage of my car. Clearly it was the minivan's fault and everyone agrees. My guess is that the insurance rep will come analyze my car's damage and declare it totalled. In which case they will want to cut me a check for what it is worth. Unfortunately I have many non-factory parts on the car that cost much much more than what I am sure they are planning on giving me. Also, if they give me a check for the car, won't they also want to keep the car? In that scenario, I would need many parts to be taken off including full koni shocks and my b18c1. They will certainly not be taking all of those parts with it.

So basically, what are my options? What is the insurance rep. going to tell me? Technically, morally, and lawfully I should really be cut a check that will be equal to what needs to be replaced and dealt with. I mean there is absolutely no reason why I should walk away from this screwed/at a loss. The accident was not my fault and I expect to be reimbursed to the point where it ultimately is like it never happened. Is this just fanciful thinking? Am I going to walk away from this screwed no matter what?

Please reply if you have been in a similar situation, have dealt with insurance claims like this, or work for an insurance company. Thanks a lot.

Photos aren't really relevant to my questions....but I know people will want to see..

Old 07-08-2009, 10:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Accident - car is probably totalled - need help with insurance claims

damn shitty situation, sorry bout ur parts/car...
Old 07-08-2009, 10:41 PM

Default Re: Accident - car is probably totalled - need help with insurance claims

Originally Posted by ej1love
damn shitty situation, sorry bout ur parts...
this is what i did and was 'partially' reimbursed.... well i had saved ALL of my reciepts(hope to god you did cus this is make or break) when the claims came to inspect i showed the reciepts and proof that the parts were on the car and they reimbursed me about 60%. now remember all insurance companies are different tho... i have AAA. but damn dude that sucks and i definitely know hoe it feels. GL
Old 07-08-2009, 10:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i think your insurance will give you the option to buy the car back with the check that they give you..

i don't really know though. Sorry about your hatch.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by geneeunit
i think your insurance will give you the option to buy the car back with the check that they give you..
agree. buy it back dirt cheap.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

**** they can see that there is money ionto the car. have them inspect the car, tell them the parts (CTR hl's, carbon hood, etcc./..) they should be abel to give you a good amount of money, IF you were the good claimee and told them as you modified the car. receipts are a huge deal here, so be prepared

sorry that happened to the hatch. person in the van should have to foot the whole bill if I was in charge
Old 07-08-2009, 11:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SoCalHatch
this is what i did and was 'partially' reimbursed.... well i had saved ALL of my reciepts(hope to god you did cus this is make or break) when the claims came to inspect i showed the reciepts and proof that the parts were on the car and they reimbursed me about 60%. now remember all insurance companies are different tho... i have AAA. but damn dude that sucks and i definitely know hoe it feels. GL
60% is such bullshit. If the accident was completely unavoidable on your part and was in no way your fault, you should be reimbursed 100% if not more. The minivan has AAA, so the claim should be similar. Thanks for the input man.

Originally Posted by ej1love
damn shitty situation, sorry bout ur parts/car...
Originally Posted by geneeunit

i don't really know though. Sorry about your hatch.
Originally Posted by WickedKP
agree. buy it back dirt cheap.
Originally Posted by mattliston
**** they can see that there is money ionto the car. have them inspect the car, tell them the parts (CTR hl's, carbon hood, etcc./..) they should be abel to give you a good amount of money, IF you were the good claimee and told them as you modified the car. receipts are a huge deal here, so be prepared

sorry that happened to the hatch. person in the van should have to foot the whole bill if I was in charge
Thanks for the replies guys.

Anymore input?
Old 07-08-2009, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by alacard
60% is such bullshit. If the accident was completely unavoidable on your part and was in no way your fault, you should be reimbursed 100% if not more. The minivan has AAA, so the claim should be similar. Thanks for the input man.Thanks for the replies guys.Anymore input?
oh your tellling me! i was so pissed. and what was even dumber was that i had to fight for the sixty. i got hit by an unlicensed drunk too so i know how the zero responsibility feels. the insurance response will be that they were not insuring the car for what YOU added to it. a valid point but still gay as ****
Old 07-08-2009, 11:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SoCalHatch
oh your tellling me! i was so pissed. and what was even dumber was that i had to fight for the sixty. i got hit by an unlicensed drunk too so i know how the zero responsibility feels. the insurance response will be that they were not insuring the car for what YOU added to it. a valid point but still gay as ****
Wow, words can't describe what I would do to that drunk driver. Anyways, my insurance isn't covering this...the girl's insurance is. I am not paying her insurance to insure my car for my aftermarket parts.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by alacard
Wow, words can't describe what I would do to that drunk driver. Anyways, my insurance isn't covering this...the girl's insurance is. I am not paying her insurance to insure my car for my aftermarket parts.
oh when i regained conciousness the bitch was throwing up blood and had a very excessively swollen head. head on at 55+ each of us. i couldnt walk but i was sure letting my thoughts be known to the f*cker that totaled my three week old car... a very valid point to be made to them! lettem have it. the difference is my insurance had to cover me cus the person that hit me was uninsured. so good luck!
Old 07-09-2009, 01:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I just helped a family member go though the same thing and I had to with my 91 si that was gsr swaped. Like others have said make sure you have all reciepts or try your best to get them. Make 3-5 copys also when the adjuster comes show them the orignals and give them 2 copys and keep 1-3 for your self along with the orignals. Look up kbb and on auto trader what cars of your year around your state with the same mileage are going for find clean ones and then if you can ones with some mod's reflecting a higher price also. But you have to make sure they are in your state/area. Print these out and make copys for your self and them. Tell them that is at the least what you expect for your car and then add up the mod's to it. Give them a price and stick to it, even if it means going to court. Remember you did not cause the accident you should not have to be at loss for your money. Get a good lawyer if you have to go to court also and bring all papers.

Be prepared to go though a long process insurance companys are there to f--- you backwards and give no help at all. Ask about a buy back which 95% of the the time they will let you. There is no doubt that your car is totaled and sorry to say it was a clean ride. Its a long road you got and probably about 1-2 monts of bs and drama. Make sure you get loss of wages, rental car fee's, and medical bills covered(if any) and lawyer fees also.Try not to contact the driver of the van also. Its their fault yes, but also accidents do happen and thats why we have insurance. If you need any help pm me and I'll help you out with steps also.