Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Acceleration Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 Acceleration Problem

Hello guys, can you help me with my problem. I have a 96 vtec civic automatic and had it overhauled. Changed my piston rings and con-rod bearings and all gaskets plus changed my broken PCV valve and knock sensor and timming belt. Before that the car has an acceleration problem already so I thought of giving it an overhaul but after I did the car still has the acceleration prblem. The power I get is not enough when accelerating from stop as well as when I am already driving and step on the gss the car seems not to respond well. It is hard to overtake because of this problem.Can anyone tell me where and what to look at for this problem? I am not familiar with cars so I need your help please. It becomes worse when I drive with the aircon on.

By the way, someone told me to have my transimission oil and filter change. Will it solve my problem?
Old 01-29-2009, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Acceleration Problem

Make sure your catalytic converter is not clogged. That would the first place I would look. Then look into air restrictions, like the air filter.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Check the fuel filter and injectors also. I've seen people blow hundreds of dollars before checking them.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:03 AM

Hi guys, thanks for the replies. Can the fuel filter and catalytic converter be cleaned or do I have to buy new ones?

Another, does pcv valve has anything to do with my acceleration problem?
Old 01-30-2009, 03:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

check tps sensor and map sensor(my buddy didnt have his hooked up and it seems like its gona stall)
Old 01-30-2009, 05:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dude_uuk
Hi guys, thanks for the replies. Can the fuel filter and catalytic converter be cleaned or do I have to buy new ones?

Another, does pcv valve has anything to do with my acceleration problem?
The pcv valve is not likely the culprit. Fuel filter and catalytic converter cant really be cleaned. You can always take the cat off and run an open manifold and see if your problem goes away. While it will be very loud, just be sure not to get pulled over by local law enforcement. If you notice is GREAT difference, then chances are its your cat. A clogged fuel filter will more often than not create more of a stuttering with in your rpm range rather than feel like a loss of power.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

tq converter, im 100 percernt sure if your motor is performing as it should, then your tq converter is faulty.
its located inside the tranny so you know.

what made me say this is your complaint of poor acceleration from a stop but once moving you have more power or feels better. thats a tq converter failure right there

to replace the trans filter you would have to open the case, you can do a fluid swap but its not gonna help.
also use only honda auto trans fluid
Old 01-30-2009, 10:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by robfrmny21
tq converter, im 100 percernt sure if your motor is performing as it should, then your tq converter is faulty.
its located inside the tranny so you know.

what made me say this is your complaint of poor acceleration from a stop but once moving you have more power or feels better. thats a tq converter failure right there

to replace the trans filter you would have to open the case, you can do a fluid swap but its not gonna help.
also use only honda auto trans fluid

See bold print below. Yet again, another non reading member.

Hello guys, can you help me with my problem. I have a 96 vtec civic automatic and had it overhauled. Changed my piston rings and con-rod bearings and all gaskets plus changed my broken PCV valve and knock sensor and timming belt. Before that the car has an acceleration problem already so I thought of giving it an overhaul but after I did the car still has the acceleration prblem. The power I get is not enough when accelerating from stop as well as when I am already driving and step on the gss the car seems not to respond well. It is hard to overtake because of this problem.Can anyone tell me where and what to look at for this problem? I am not familiar with cars so I need your help please. It becomes worse when I drive with the aircon on.

By the way, someone told me to have my transimission oil and filter change. Will it solve my problem?
Old 01-30-2009, 10:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the oil shouldnt affect it like you said. also you dont have a serviceable tranny filter