Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

ac still not running after installing a new condenser fan

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ac still not running after installing a new condenser fan

i installed a condenser fan for my ac bec. the mechanic sais that ihe fan was causing a shortage. i installed it and it worked for the whole then it stopped when i used it the next day. the problem hasnt been solved yet. theres stil a shortage somewhere. the condenser fan fuse keeps blowing up. it tried putting a higher number fuse and it would run for a while then it blows. one thing i notice when i put a new fuse, before it blows, while my engine is running and the ac is running fine for a little bit, while the engine is on standby and running and it starts to "idle"- (not really if thats the right term, it seems like the engine is starting to relax) im still learning so be nice. thats when the fuse blows. the only tools i have at home is voltage tester and a test leads. is there anyway of determining the problem with the tools i have. what do you think is the cause? thanks

its for a 1997 civic ex.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: ac still not running after installing a new condenser fan

Is hood fuse #56 or dash fuse #17 blowing?
Old 08-18-2009, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If a fuse is blowing you need to fix the wiring. You already stated there is a shortage now you gotta hunt it down.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i dont know if its 17 or 56 but its the fuse located at the hood beside the battery. its uses a 20 fuse for condenser fan. problem is i dont know how to hunt down wiring. i can only do replace and add parts, mostly not electrical.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That's 20A fuse 56. Test whether unplugging the condenser fan connector and turning on the A/C while driving prevents fuse 56 from blowing.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i drove for 5 min. and it stil blows. for the few seconds when i start the car, it seems like the engine is about to stall whenever the compressor clutch tries to turn on, and my radio restarts when i just started the car and when i was about to park.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dhortz214
i drove for 5 min. and it stil blows. for the few seconds when i start the car, it seems like the engine is about to stall whenever the compressor clutch tries to turn on, and my radio restarts when i just started the car and when i was about to park.
So fuse 56 still blows when you unplug the condenser fan, right? If so, now pull out the condenser fan relay in the under-hood fuse box and redo the same test to see if fuse 56 still blows.

Old 08-18-2009, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its stil blows even with the condenser fan connector and condenser fan relay removed. btw thanks for taking the time to help me.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its stil blows even with the condenser fan connector and condenser fan relay removed. btw thanks for taking the time to help me.
This is most likely telling you that there is an internal short in the under-hood fuse box. To fix, you need to replace the fuse box.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is it easy to replace the fuse box? can i just do it myself? is there any special tool that i need? do you advise going at a junkyard and pull one or buy brand new? if you dont mind can you explain what are the causes and how it happen. just curious and trying to learn. thanks.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is it easy to replace the fuse box? can i just do it myself? is there any special tool that i need? do you advise going at a junkyard and pull one or buy brand new? if you dont mind can you explain what are the causes and how it happen. just curious and trying to learn. thanks.
It's a pretty straightforward job actually. JUST REMEMBER TO DISCONNECT THE BATTERY TERMINALS BEFORE STARTING THE JOB. Remove a couple of bolts, disconnect the alternator and battery connections, and unplug some connectors from the underside. You may need to transfer the fuses and relays to the replacement box.

You can pick up a used replacement box from the junk yard or buy a new one from online discount sites like this one (enter your VIN and click on Control Unit (Engine Room)).

I can't say what caused your fuse box to fail. When you remove and inspect it, there may be clues.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for all the help. i aprreciate. il try going to junkyard tom. il let know how it goes after i install it. thanks again.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is the 2000 si fuse box compatible with my 97 civic ex?
Old 08-19-2009, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is the 2000 si fuse box compatible with my 97 civic ex?
If you don't get an answer here, try calling Honda.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hey ron, i just finished installing the new fuse box, i left the car on and the fan ran fine for 5 min. and after that it did the same thing again, the fan stoped turning.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hey ron, i just finished installing the new fuse box, i left the car on and the fan ran fine for 5 min. and after that it did the same thing again, the fan stoped turning.
Crap. Is fuse 56 blown? If so, unplug the condenser fan relay to see whether it prevents fuse 56 from blowing. This time also do the same test for the compressor clutch relay unplugged or for both relays unplugged.

Last edited by Former User; 08-26-2009 at 03:09 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah... condenser fan fuse was blown. so you want me to unplug the condenser fan relay WHILE driving. and do the same thing for the compressor clutch relay. do you want me to do them at the same time?
Old 08-26-2009, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i dont know if this helps but its weird bec. with the blown fuse attached, i put a voltage tester bec. i saw the mechanic did it b4 but the left side of the 20a fuse lights up like its fine and the right side doesnt.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah... condenser fan fuse was blown. so you want me to unplug the condenser fan relay WHILE driving. and do the same thing for the compressor clutch relay. do you want me to do them at the same time?
Yes to all, though you don't have to drive the car if fuse 56 will blow when the engine is idling with the A/C on. Start by unplugging the compressor clutch relay. Then do both relays.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i dont know if this helps but its weird bec. with the blown fuse attached, i put a voltage tester bec. i saw the mechanic did it b4 but the left side of the 20a fuse lights up like its fine and the right side doesnt.
That's exactly what should happen when the fuse is blown.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ron, if its fine with you, could you pm me your man or yahoo messenger id so when diagnose it much faster. i removed the compressor clutch relay and let it ran for a while and it didnt blow. i just hope its only a short. i dont have the money for a new compressor. thanks
Old 08-26-2009, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was just about to say that the compressor clutch relay and condenser fan relay usually are fed by the same fuse... If the fuse still hasnt blown and you have the clutch relay removed, go ahead and plug it back in and remove the wire going to the compressor clutch @ the compressor. Should be a single wire connection. Run car again & see if fuse blows. If so, you have a short in the wiring between the clutch relay and clutch connector. If it is OK, you have a short on the compressor.

Either way, the person that initially diagnosed your car was wrong.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

...i removed the compressor clutch relay and let it ran for a while and it didnt blow. i just hope its only a short. i dont have the money for a new compressor. thanks
Okay, back on track. As mentioned, plug the compressor relay back in, unplug the connector on the compressor, and redo your test. If the fuse again does not blow, then you most likely have a short in the compressor coil. If so, you may be able to replace the coil without disconnecting the refrigerant lines.

Do you have a Sanden or Denso compressor?

To validate your test, only remove the condenser fan relay and run the engine to verify that fuse 56 still blows.

Last edited by Former User; 08-26-2009 at 05:08 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i put the compressor relay back in and unplug the single wire connector to the compressor and it didnt blow, so i turned the car off just to make sure and plug the compressor back and the a/c ran fine for a while and it blew. so the shortage is on the compressor? how do i know if its sanden or denso? thanks for the help guys
Old 08-26-2009, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Look for a tag, label, or marking brand on the compressor:

DENSO:

Quick Reply: ac still not running after installing a new condenser fan