Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

ac problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 10:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 ac problems

my girl just bought a 99 honda civic ex with a few minor problems. one was the old owner cut the ac belt off because both tge idler pully and the compressor will not spin. the idler pully is just a cheap replacement part, but i was wondering if anyone had any experience with the compressor being seized. is there a simple fix i can try, can i replace the clutch, or will there be a possiblility of the compressor being bad and should i go that route. any advice would be greatly appreciated as to what i should check/look for, or do. im going to do the timing belt in two weeks so i will just fix it along with that.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: ac problems

Pull the compressor off and if the pulley doesn't turn freely, then you'll likely have to replace the compressor. It's possible to rebuild compressors (i.e., replace bearings, etc.) but it's usually less of a pain and more cost effective to just grab a new OEM one from a junkyard or something.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

test the compressor and see if it is bad ... if your looking for a good used one ...PM me I have one from a 98
Old 06-14-2013, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

how would i go about testing the compressor?
Old 06-14-2013, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

If the compressor is seized and that's the only problem, then the compressor pulley should still spin freely when the clutch is disengaged. If the pulley won't spin with the clutch disengaged, then start by replacing the compressor pulley bearing.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Correct me if im wrong, but the only thing worth trying to replace on the compressor is the clutch. Outside of that, if the compressor pulley is seized, it would prob be easier and cost effective to just grab a junkyard compressor (got mine for $80).
Old 06-14-2013, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

I don't agree. The pulley can be removed with a 2-jaw puller, and the clutch, pulley, and coil can be replaced without disconnecting the refrigerant lines, if you don't mind working in a tight space. The latter as well as refrigerant recovery, evacuation, and recharging must be done if the compressor is replaced.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well i meant that in terms of finding the parts. Only thing i could find at a reasonable price was the clutch. Unless you got a broke compressor.

Im definitely with ya about the self recharge though.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well i meant that in terms of finding the parts. Only thing i could find at a reasonable price was the clutch. Unless you got a broke compressor.

Im definitely with ya about the self recharge though.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok. so since its the pully that wont turn at all it would be the bearing in the pully system itself then? cause thats the problem im having. we just got the car and the belt was off the ac system so i can easily put my hand on the compressor and it wont budge at all when the cars off.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow I guess the compressor pulleys are rather cheap

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-AC-COMPRESSOR-PULLEY-CLUTCH-BEARING-CROSS-35BD219DUK-35mm-55mm-20mm-35x55x20-/160935247937?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1999%7CMake%3AHonda%7CModel%3ACivic&hash=item25787d0041&vxp=mtr
BTW....I'd triple check thats the correct part. That was just a 5 sec google search...i was just quite surprised at how wrong I was in my last post...
Old 06-17-2013, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
I don't agree. The pulley can be removed with a 2-jaw puller, and the clutch, pulley, and coil can be replaced without disconnecting the refrigerant lines, if you don't mind working in a tight space. The latter as well as refrigerant recovery, evacuation, and recharging must be done if the compressor is replaced.
Ron is right about all the parts of a compressor being able to be replaced. I've taken mine completely apart, tested it, examined the bearings and put it back together. It's really not that complex of a part. The only trick is giving yourself enough room to do what you need to do while the compressor is still on the car. I'm lucky enough that if push comes to shove and i need to replace the entire compressor, the local pick-n-pull only charges $35 bucks for compressors.

I'm afraid the main problem you'll run into when replacing the pulley bearing is not getting the pulley off. Just about any 2 or 3 jawed pulley puller will get the pulley off without a problem. It's pressing the new bearing in and the pulley back on that will likely be a huge pain in the ***. When I put my pulley back on I had to whack it a few times with a small dead blow hammer to get it to sit flush.

You can always give it the old college try, though. If you absolutely cannot get the new bearing in and the pulley back on while the compressor is still on the car, you'll just have to have the system evacuated and take the compressor completely out to give yourself enough room.

If anybody has any creative solutions for pressing in a new bearing and getting the pulley on while the compressor is still in the car, i'm all ears. My compressor bearing is getting a little suspect too. I was planning on removing the compressor to work on it, but if I can get it done while still in the car, that would be amazing.