Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

AC manual override rad fan!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 06:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC manual override rad fan!!!

I know this sounds like a stupid idea, But i want it for when I go to the track.

I have a turbo honda and I want to manually turn the fan on when I go to the track. So I have no AC it has all been pulled out. I want to know if anybody has turned their AC switch into a manual override switch for the radiator fan. Technically all I should have to do is jump the pressure switch but it doesn't work that way. Any other Ideas. If not then I am not gonna worry about it.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: AC manual override rad fan!!! (stealthcivic94)

Subscribed... I like the idea of using the "dead" AC switch to run the fan. If you can get it to work it would be very usefull and clean
Old 05-21-2007, 06:53 AM

Default Re: AC manual override rad fan!!! (95ProjectEJ1)

I know. I am gonna do some serious homework tonight. So if I can get it to work the way I want it I will do a write up on it. I am glad you like my idea.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wouldn't you also have to turn the climate control fan on to activate the system? I know the ac compressor doesn't turn on until the climate fan is also on
Old 05-21-2007, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: AC manual override rad fan!!! (instructor74)

he doesnt have a/c so i believe he is just talking about hard wiring the fan and using the a/c switch on the climate control to activate instead of buying a cheap looking switch and drilling a hole somewhere.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95ProjectEJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">he doesnt have a/c so i believe he is just talking about hard wiring the fan and using the a/c switch on the climate control to activate instead of buying a cheap looking switch and drilling a hole somewhere. </TD></TR></TABLE>
right I understand that but he was talking about jumping the low pressure switch that makes me think he is going to use the factory wiring harness to run the fan. If he does that then I am 90% sure that the climate control fan also has to be on to apply power to that system
Old 05-21-2007, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yea i would get a regular switch from autozone because youll need to set your climate to atleast low to turn the AC button active. But it is possible, just run the wires for the fan straight to the switch wires and your good.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by instructor74 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
right I understand that but he was talking about jumping the low pressure switch that makes me think he is going to use the factory wiring harness to run the fan. If he does that then I am 90% sure that the climate control fan also has to be on to apply power to that system</TD></TR></TABLE>

Aww yes, I get what you are saying... Im a little slow, been up since 5
Old 05-21-2007, 08:03 AM

Well what I am trying to do is leave my regular fan hooked up. For normal driving. But when I go to the track I want to be able to hit a button and leave the fan on while my car isn't running. But when you turn your AC on on a regular car. Both condenser fan and rad fan turn on. I am trying to figure out what switches and stuff I need to jump to make my AC button turn on my rad fan.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

From what im getting from Instructor and Luserkid, it seems that you just need to run wires from your fan switch (most likely splice) and run those to the switch on your climate control, but it will only activate when you turn the climate fan setting on low. Someone correct me if im wrong.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:16 AM
H-T White Ops

Simple.
find a power source for your switch and hook it into one side of it.

Run the switched side to the + side of the coil on a generic $2 relay.

Run the other side of the coil to ground.

Now tap off the battery or the main relay to feed the relay and eventually the fan.

You can probably get away with not running he relay, but I like to do things that way. I don't trust little dinky switches to be able to handle supplying power to a fan.

This is almost as simple as wiring up a simple toggle switch. About the only thing you'd have to do is pull the actual switch out so you can figure out how you're going to hook the wires to it.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:26 AM
H-T White Ops

Here you go. About as simple as it gets.
The "+" is your positive power source coming out of your fuse box or something.
The angled thing is your AC switch.
The "F" is obviously your fan motor.
The 3 lines to the right are ground.

Here's what it would look like with a relay in there
Old 05-21-2007, 09:33 AM

Default Re: (IslandSi)

I know what your saying but I was trying not to tap into the climate control...
Old 05-21-2007, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

so use the A/C switch as the switch.

you may have to pull the switch out and massage the internal workings of the climate control a little bit.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (stealthcivic94)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Relic1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so use the A/C switch as the switch.

you may have to pull the switch out and massage the internal workings of the climate control a little bit.</TD></TR></TABLE>
So you don't want to tap into the wiring right? you want to use the wiring system that is in the car to turn on the rad fan as if the AC were being run. So you would have to bypass the low pressure switch maybe hook up the clutch solenoid, and have the car running with the climate control fan turned on to at least the lowest setting.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Re: (instructor74)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by instructor74 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
So you don't want to tap into the wiring right? you want to use the wiring system that is in the car to turn on the rad fan as if the AC were being run. So you would have to bypass the low pressure switch maybe hook up the clutch solenoid, and have the car running with the climate control fan turned on to at least the lowest setting.</TD></TR></TABLE>
not exactly, I'd reroute the power to the switch itself to be a constant or ign power, then run that line out of the climate control (or if you feel spiffy tap into one of the existing lines) then simply use it as a normal switched power source for a relay.

BTW this is not as difficult as you might think, but it's not for the timid.
In my stereo days I set up a few civic to use the A/C switch to control other things.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:56 AM

So you don't want to tap into the wiring right? you want to use the wiring system that is in the car to turn on the rad fan as if the AC were being run. So you would have to bypass the low pressure switch maybe hook up the clutch solenoid, and have the car running with the climate control fan turned on to at least the lowest setting.</TD></TR></TABLE>

EXACTLY You get it
Old 05-21-2007, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stealthcivic94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

EXACTLY You get it</TD></TR></TABLE>
now that what you want is out of the way the only thing left to do is figure out if it can be done. I guess it is time to look at the wiring for the ac system and see how it works it cant be that hard to bypass a few switches and make the system think it still has ac. Something to think about doesn't the idle also increase once the ac is turned on to comp for the added load or is it the other way around. Does idle increase because of the added load but i guess that is not important for what you are doing
Old 05-21-2007, 11:48 AM

Exactly... The car does Idle up to compensate for the added load. But I am gonna do some research tonight to see if it can be done. I am gonna sit down with a test light and wiring diagram and figure out if i can do it.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:50 AM

also I only want to turn the fan on when the car is off and I am sitting in the pit with the hood up. or in staging lanes. So that is another factor.