Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

ac install question

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ac install question

i am putting a r134 whole system on my 93 sedan. the car was originally plumbed with r12. the only line that i have from the original system are the ones that goe across the front of the car under the bumper. they are the ones that are bare metal not insulated. i just happen to not have the 2nd line that goes to the filter dryer. i tried to use one of the original lines in place of that line but it feels like they are a different size. are they? it is hard to get in there and push them together because i already have the condensor in there and my bumper is still one. i would like to know if they are a different size or not before doing one or the other
Old 12-22-2006, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ac install question (jdmeg9)

hello
Old 12-22-2006, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdmeg9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i am putting a r134 whole system on my 93 sedan. the car was originally plumbed with r12. the only line that i have from the original system are the ones that goe across the front of the car under the bumper. they are the ones that are bare metal not insulated. i just happen to not have the 2nd line that goes to the filter dryer. i tried to use one of the original lines in place of that line but it feels like they are a different size. are they? it is hard to get in there and push them together because i already have the condensor in there and my bumper is still one. i would like to know if they are a different size or not before doing one or the other</TD></TR></TABLE>

lucky for you i'm online. not sure if they are different sizes (never really checked), but, you really don't want to start mixing r12 & r134 parts. they both contain different oils in the freon and using the r12 pipes with the existing oils, will ruin your compressor, or more.
Old 12-22-2006, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ac install question (philosofy1)

all of my lines except the ones for the filter dryer are from the same car so i know they are all the same plus i have cleaned everything with brake parts cleaner. i guess ill have to order those lines then because i can't find them. when i vacuum the lines that will tell me if i have any leaks right?
Old 12-23-2006, 12:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdmeg9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">all of my lines except the ones for the filter dryer are from the same car so i know they are all the same plus i have cleaned everything with brake parts cleaner. i guess ill have to order those lines then because i can't find them. when i vacuum the lines that will tell me if i have any leaks right?</TD></TR></TABLE>

i took an easier route. your local part store should have a freon with an ink dye where if there is leaks you will see the dye leaking out.

oh yeah, this freon also comes with a floresant light to find the ink.
Old 12-23-2006, 02:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

cant really mix 12 and 134 together... the fittings are different. i was trying to hook ac up and i too have a mix of both systems.. the dyer and the condensor fittings wont fit.. and you cant try to mix and match the pipes to make it fit because those to have different fitting sizes.