Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

ABS system???

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS system???

i have seen people take their abs system off but i dont understand why? is it just for wieght reduction? my car doesnt have abs and i wouldnt mind having it. but just wanted to know why people were taking it off in the first place. thanks hopefully someone will help me in this one
Old 08-01-2008, 09:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ABS is for idiots who don't know how to drive. It was designed for soccer moms talking on their cell phones and not paying attention, who then must suddenly slam on their brakes. Thats exactly what they do, they just stomp on the brakes with no regard to braking force. They panic and they freeze. Anyone that is even partially competent can brake heavily without locking up their tires. If my car had it I would remove it as well. I hate ABS.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

some cars, DA's mostly, have abs and it doesn't work and people don't know whats wrong with it. I have no idea whats wrong with my abs, and I have no intention of fixing it, I see an abs delete coming in the future. My first reason is to free up some space in the engine bay, second is for weight reduction, and third because it'll look cleaner.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (OMGWTFBBQ!)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by OMGWTFBBQ! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ABS is for idiots who don't know how to drive. It was designed for soccer moms talking on their cell phones and not paying attention, who then must suddenly slam on their brakes. Thats exactly what they do, they just stomp on the brakes with no regard to braking force. They panic and they freeze. Anyone that is even partially competent can brake heavily without locking up their tires. If my car had it I would remove it as well. I hate ABS. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Good thing you actually gave a legit reason there.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Seikensetzu &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have seen people take their abs system off but i dont understand why? is it just for wieght reduction? my car doesnt have abs and i wouldnt mind having it. but just wanted to know why people were taking it off in the first place. thanks hopefully someone will help me in this one</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why do most Honda owners take 'em off? Because they're ricers and don't know any better.

The reason why most TRACK CARS (which is by far not the majority of hondas), and by track car I'm not talking about drag strips, I'm talking more along the lines of autoX tracks, and road racing tracks don't have it is because of consistency.

ABS's goal is simple, to keep the wheels from locking - in doing so, it can not attain a consistent braking distance because each time you step on the brakes, the weight offset of the car is different, or you're not in exactly the same spot, so the way the ABS acts is different every single time you step on the brakes, unless you do it in the exact same spot at the exact same speed with the exact same steering degree (to prevent weight shift), which is needless to say, impossible. Since the ABS acts differently every time, a racer can't get an exact idea of how long it takes his car to slow down, because depending on a lot of outside factors, as I stated above, it'll act differently each time. Also, if you ever have seen ABS in full swing, you'll see that sometimes the wheels do lock up for a split second during the heavy brake load, this makes the car lose stability.

So you gain consistency without ABS, as well as braking stability.

For daily driving, is there ANY gain to not having ABS? No. Lots of inexperienced drivers lock up the wheels and crash due to a slide. Despite what "OMGWTFBBQ!" said, the majority of cars sold in America come with ABS standard, and there's a reason for that - it saves lives when people that don't have a lot of experience panic stop.

Now I don't have ABS on my car, but if I did, I wouldn't go out of my way to remove it because in daily driving (not racing), it's a good system, that works well, and prevents slides/deaths.

And as far as heavily braking without locking up the wheels goes - If you don't have ABS, and you haven't locked up the wheels at least once, even if for a short period of time, then you don't have enough driving time, simple as that. I mean ****, it even happens in professional racing from time to time.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:05 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by OMGWTFBBQ! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ABS is for idiots who don't know how to drive. It was designed for soccer moms talking on their cell phones and not paying attention, who then must suddenly slam on their brakes. Thats exactly what they do, they just stomp on the brakes with no regard to braking force. They panic and they freeze. Anyone that is even partially competent can brake heavily without locking up their tires. If my car had it I would remove it as well. I hate ABS. </TD></TR></TABLE>

You're an idiot.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for you response syndacate. it actually answered my question. I thought it was good for auto cross/circuit racing. you learn something everyday
Old 08-01-2008, 12:51 PM

Default Re: (Seikensetzu)

ya IMO keep the ABS unless its a trailer queen... abs is a nice feature when you need it! just adding it to a non abs car is pretty hard since all the wheels need sensors on them. so it would be alot to add!!!! unless someone has a ABS car and would swap you all your parts then i would definatly ditch the idea of adding it! thats awhole lot of work!!!!!

both my civics 99 96 have ABS and i like that feature! doesnt matter if you think its for soccer moms..... does your girl friend, parents, friends ever drive your car????? if yes then ABS is a great option to have! just because you are a good driver doesnt mean everyone that touches your keys is also ABS works far faster than you could ever pedal it!

but if you think removing it on a daily driven car is cool then go ahead and pull it along with your bumper suports, door impact beams, seat belts, air bags........ and IMO thats stupid as hell! but then again thats just IMO!!!!!
Old 08-01-2008, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my car came without it, and just wanted to know if it was useful or not. my friend is taking the whole system out and i wsa going to mount it. so i was just asking. i also know it is a lot of work so it doesnt really matter. just wanted to actually know the reason why people take it off and what it actually does. thanks for the input guys
Old 08-01-2008, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (Seikensetzu)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Seikensetzu &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my car came without it, and just wanted to know if it was useful or not. my friend is taking the whole system out and i wsa going to mount it. so i was just asking. i also know it is a lot of work so it doesnt really matter. just wanted to actually know the reason why people take it off and what it actually does. thanks for the input guys</TD></TR></TABLE>

If he's taking his system out, I'm sure you or him could sell the parts, but like he said, it's not worth the hassle on switching it over.

None of my cars have ABS ('cept my 95 probe (sold), 01 GTI (sold), and my 90 300E (sold)).

Neither of my Hondas had/have it. It's not something I'd get rid of if I had (unless I was making it a track car), but it's also not something I would even dream in putting into a car that didn't come equipped. I mean it's possible, I've never seen it done, but the system isn't too complex, but I wouldn't even bother with it.

Why do people actually take it off? I have no idea. They think their braking distance increases (it only becomes more consistent, it doesn't increase) with it, maybe? Some of them are ricers that wanna lose the "unnecessary weight" (There was a guy maybe 6mo ago on here that emptied his windshield washer fluid reservoir for the weight reduction, said he didn't need it b/c gas stations have the squeegee thing ). There's ricers all over the place, it's a pick ur poison type of game.

Np for the info - we're all here to learn...at least that's what I keep telling myself when I see posts like "My V-teCH isn't cracking loud enough" or "Removing bumper supports & spare tire on daily driver for weight reduction" or the never-get-old "I gutted my daily driver, removed the rear seats, sound deadening tar, spare tire on my stock B7 for the weight reduction!!....
Old 08-01-2008, 07:57 PM

How am I an idiot?

ABS is a handicap, sure it can provide consitent braking for track days, but if you're a half decent driver you can consistently brake without locking up the tires (and even while sometimes locking them up, I'll admit I've locked mine up, but 90% of the time I lock them up on purpose so I stay familiar with my braking threshold). Most major forms of racing don't allow ABS, because you should actually be able to drive to win, instead of letting the car do the work for you. Thats why I'm against all forms of ABS, Traction Control, Stability Management, Active Yaw control, or whatever the hell else electronic handicap they'll come up with next. If you can't drive well enough to the point where you need a car than can drive for you, then you need to find another hobby.

ABS is great, if you don't track your car, if you do, then its hindering your progress as a driver.
Old 08-02-2008, 09:42 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by OMGWTFBBQ! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How am I an idiot?

ABS is great, if you don't track your car, if you do, then its hindering your progress as a driver.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ya thats what im saying for the track ya sure its not needed your not typicaly gonna be racing on ice, wet conditions
but for the daily driven vehicle its a great option!
but for a daily driver vehicle that is sometimes taken to the track then if you MUST to comply with the rules.... well your stuck between the two. i would sugest geting another vehicle for track only IMO. i got 2 civics again and i love having two. ya always got a backup and they are pretty cheap to insure and gas money as well.LOL