Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

about tokico blues i need help

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2003, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default about tokico blues i need help

i already did a search on tokico blues, but i found nothing on what i really want to know. I have R1 coilovers which i got for $20 from a friend, and im looking for shocks, but i dont wanna blow my money on shocks that can't handle how much i want to lower the car. I want to lower the car at least 2-2.5 inch. What should i do?
Old 07-21-2003, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: about tokico blues i need help (EG1)

Koni Yellows
Old 07-21-2003, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: about tokico blues i need help (96coupe)

i was thinking of koni yellows but kinda expensive. Is there anything cheaper with about the same quality
Old 07-21-2003, 12:17 PM

I'm probably about to have about 100 people here disagree with me, but I have GC Coilovers mated with KYB GR2s. I've lowered the car at least 2.5 inches, and the ride is not bad at all for that height, plus the car rides takes turns like its on rails. A lot of people have said that KYB GR2s are good for a stock strut replacement, being used with the stock springs, but these have worked GREAT on my del sol so far. I've had them on for a couple months now and had no issues with them at all. Not to mention they are about a third of the price of koni yellows.

My friend just put tokico blues on his prelude, mated with H&R springs. Rides like stock, handles way better. My brother has tokico blues on his 240sx, had them for over a year, with 2 inch lowering springs, still rides great and handles like a dream.

No BS, this is just my experience with these "cheapo" shocks/struts that now seem to be a "best buy." You can't go wrong with koni yellows, but it just sucks that they are so expensive. If you go the cash, throw it down for sure.
Old 07-21-2003, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: about tokico blues i need help (elevatethis)

I know I don't have a civic, but I have the blues on my car and feel they are a little underdampened(but still very very good).. if I were you I'd go with the illuminas, same tokico quality and adjustable
Old 07-21-2003, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

stay away from blues. get the kYB gr2's or AGX's. Also look into Benen top hats. You can lower your ride more without bottoming out your shocks.
Old 07-21-2003, 12:49 PM

Default Re: about tokico blues i need help (b.cruz)

Right now I use the Bilstein HD's. I run regular sprint springs but a friend of mine runs them on his EG with GC coilovers dropped about 2-2.25in he's never had a problem with them. Nor have I
Old 07-21-2003, 01:00 PM

Default Re: about tokico blues i need help (00CivicEXCP)

i have a set of tokico HP (blue) with some coilover, and the ride is good.

if your looking for shocks to lower the car only then the blues are good enough but if your looking for something to take to the track then u have to go with Koni Yellow.

as far as the lowering goes my car is at 2" now and the shocks work well
Tokico says that the shocks can handle 1.5 easly
Old 07-21-2003, 08:23 PM

we sell the tokico blues. they offer a great mono tube design to stand up to the lowered compression of lowering springs and also carry a lifetime warranty as long as the shaft is not scarred. We have in-house vehicles that run tokico blues and are lowered 3.5" w/o any ones blown out yet. Hope this helps, Andy
Old 07-21-2003, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: about tokico blues i need help (Hpautoworks.com)

tokico blues is not bad at all...but if you want something better add lil bit of cash go with the KYB agx adjustable..
Old 07-22-2003, 03:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: about tokico blues i need help (ReaL JDM Eg6)

do you guys suggest anything about my coilovers? should i get springs or coils? Im looking for a comfortable ride but still some good handling, but i at least want the car to be lower about 2.25-2.5 inchs i think it looks to high as of now. I was thinking of getting H&R race springs, skunk 2 performance lowering springs, or skunk 2 coilovers with either koni yellows or tokico illuminas. Im scared that i might blow a shock thats why im so interested in asking about your guys opinions. And thanks for the help guys.
Old 07-22-2003, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

skunk2 coilovers and tokico illuminas are good combo....
Old 07-22-2003, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: about tokico blues i need help (ReaL JDM Eg6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ReaL JDM Eg6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">skunk2 coilovers and tokico illuminas are good combo.... </TD></TR></TABLE>
i was thinking of that but i want smooth ride, has anyone heard anything about the skunk 2 race springs?
Old 07-22-2003, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have GC coilovers on my 95 civic with the stock struts. its dropped about 2.25 in, and it rides like a dream and handles better. id say get some better coilovers to start with, and then see how the ride is, cuz i know how bad those coilovers u got must suck
Old 07-23-2003, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tallblondkid)

I would do that but don't really like the ride w/just coilovers. My bro had skunk 2 coilovers on stock struts and it was alright just bumpy. I just want handling at the same time kinda smooth ride.
Old 07-23-2003, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have been running blues for the last two years and they have been fine if you wanna save money and you don't care about the adjustability factor i say go with them.
Old 07-23-2003, 09:18 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

I do not sell any struts so you can take this post knowing that I have no reason to post biased info up.

IMO Tokico Blues suck. They are very soft and are easily blown from the numerous customers' cars that I've seen in the past 2.5 years working at a Honda and Acura only repair facility.

I'd rather spend my money on KYB GR-2s as suggested earlier. I've had the same set in my fiancee's 1992 Si on Skunkworks (actually first-gen APC coil-overs when they bought them from Skunk and were not cheap-*** quality) coil-overs for almost THREE years now and they are just now beginning to get some bounce to them. She even auto-X'd the car for half a season and drove on shitty Atlanta roads daily for a year.

Her car sits this low:

And you can see the silver bodied KYB GR-2 peeking out here:

I am replacing her struts probably before fall and I will again choose the KYB GR-2 because they are inexpensive, lasted long, and rode great with that low of a drop.

My other recommendations from experience would be the KYB AGX adjustables. They cost more, but offer adjustable dampening and are awesome for the money IMO. I ran these with my old 1992 Si hatch with the same coil-overs pictured above for almost two years and they were awesome. You could adjust the rear to be stiffer and get some more rotation at auto-Xs.

My last recommendation would be Koni Yellows. They are IMO the best non-custom damper for the money overall. Yes they cost more, but they hanld every stiff rates. I currently run 425F 550R springs with my Koni Yellows and they NEVER bounce.

My car sits this low:

In terms of "drop" I cannot say for either car, but her car is definately lower because it nearly tucks 195-50-15 tires while mine has minimal gap on huge-*** 205-50-15 Azenis.

If I were you I'd ask myself what I wanted from the car, and what I could honestly afford.

The Konis are great IMO and will probably last the longest in terms of spring rates, but if you dump the car you run the risk of blowing even the best struts ever.

With that in mind I might be inclined to say get the KYB GR-2 silvers and understand that they might blow of you ride too low. At least this way it's cheap as hell to replace them.
Old 07-23-2003, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a set of 4 Tokico Performance (Blue) shocks for $75. They are about four years old, but work fine (not worn out or leaking). All Tokico shocks have a LIFETIME WARRANTY from the manufacturer, so they were built to last. These will fit all models of 92-95 Civics, 93-97 Del Sols, and 94-01 Integras (except the Type-R). They may also fit 96-00 Civics, but check with Tokico for details, as I believe the rear shocks on these cars are slightly modified.

The specific model numbers are HU3456, HU3457, and HU3713 (2x). I have pictures available. Email greg@webave.com if you are interested.
Old 07-23-2003, 10:14 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EG1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
i was thinking of that but i want smooth ride, has anyone heard anything about the skunk 2 race springs?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Then don't lower the car
Old 07-23-2003, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: about tokico blues i need help (13HYBRID20)

B18C5-EH2

how much did you spend for your Koni Yellows & Eibach ERS coil-over springs with custom rates
Old 07-23-2003, 12:01 PM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EG1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">B18C5-EH2

how much did you spend for your Koni Yellows & Eibach ERS coil-over springs with custom rates</TD></TR></TABLE>

You have PM.
Old 07-24-2003, 01:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: about tokico blues i need help (greg987)

when i installed my tokico blues, i noticed my car sits a little lower now. is anybody else familiar with this happening to their car after installing thier tokico blues?
Old 07-24-2003, 01:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: about tokico blues i need help (Jedi_Sol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jedi_Sol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">when i installed my tokico blues, i noticed my car sits a little lower now. is anybody else familiar with this happening to their car after installing thier tokico blues?</TD></TR></TABLE>

usually most aftermarket struts lower your car a tab bit.
im running gc and agx's on my eg and it handles great.
Old 07-25-2003, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: about tokico blues i need help (O.G triple O.G)

what do you guys prefer

kyb agx or kyb gr2
but also consider the price difference im kinda low on money

Old 07-25-2003, 10:58 AM

i have GC and GR2s...rides like a lowered car does (i have it at about a 2.75 inch drop) and handles like a dream. The AGXs are adjustable, allowing you to adjust the damper between a comfort setting and a stiffer race setting. The Gr2s are really inexpensive, but not cheap as far as quality goes. I'm sure the AGXs would be an even better choice if you have the money for them.

Quick Reply: about tokico blues i need help