Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

About Honda 99 Civic Ex clutch, need help please~~

Old 02-13-2010, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About Honda 99 Civic Ex clutch, need help please~~

Hi, I am new in here and I want to ask something about my civic. Mine is a 99 civic EX with manual trans. I replace my clutch to XTD Stage 1 clutch and a 8lbs flywheel at 4th of jan. It was fine untill 2 week ago, my car start jumping when I start from a stop or tring to move in a slow traffic. it just feel I was riding a horse. It's ok in 2345. Only in first gear. Sometime it seems nomal when the car is cold but when my car is wormed up, it will start jumping again. If I press the gas to 3000rpm and the car run fine. I know it's hard to imagine but I really want to know what wrong with my car. Thank you so much.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: About Honda 99 Civic Ex clutch, need help please~~

Try to describe the jumping better. Does the clutch not seem to slip enough when you try to start moving from a stop?
Old 02-14-2010, 01:00 PM

Is it a too light flywheel can cause this happen? The jumping seems the clutch try to grab somthing but lose it in a very fast and short period. Like there have two gear and one of it is slipping and catching it again. My English is bad and I hope you can understand it lol
Old 02-14-2010, 01:54 PM
New User

If this is a chattering clutch -- not a misfire -- we're talking about, you're gonna have to pull the transmission and inspect.

Kind of weird that it was fine for a couple of weeks, but who knows, maybe a cracked flywheel or disc/pressure plate coming apart.

Just be sure it's not an unrelated misfire or something else.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No, the light flywheel isn't the problem. As Autotech mentioned, if there is any misfiring or if the engine tries to stall when this happens then the motor may be struggling under load- an issue unrelated to your clutch. If there isn't, see if the problem occurs when your foot is completely off of the clutch or if it only happens as you are in the process of letting the clutch out.
Old 02-14-2010, 03:55 PM

it only in the process of letting the clutch out and only in the first gear to start from a stop, if the rpm is like 2000 or 2500 and I start letting the clutch out, it will start jumping but after 1 or 2 sec, it will gone and very smooth in gear2 to 5.when the car it seems fine when the car havn't warm up or I rev up to 3000rpm for a start from a stop sign. when the jumping happen, the rpm is not dropping and it's keepping on that rpm or rasing, Also I replace the spark plug and the wire. So I'm pretty sure that is not related to engine.
I am very thanks all of you guys help. Thank you so much.
Old 02-14-2010, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Try bleeding the clutch hydraulic system. Either use a vacuum pump or make sure that you close the bleeder valve before the fluid stops coming out (before the clutch reaches the floor). Also be sure to top off the reservoir before each or every other bleed.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:53 PM

Can you show me some picture or step to how to do this? I am not know much about car, Anyway thank you so much for help.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Some people use slightly different techniques but to bleed your clutch hydraulic system:

Start by locating the bleeder valve on the clutch slave cylinder. The slave cylinder is on the front of the transmission and connects to the hydraulic line from the clutch master cylinder. The bleeder valve is a small nipple that can be loosened with something like a 10mm or so wrench and it should have a little rubber dust cap on it . Get yourself an assistant, a large container of DOT-3 or better brake fluid, a small cup and a tube that will fit onto the bleeder valve nipple, preferably clear. You can buy it by the foot at Home Depot or most hardware stores. Have your assistant sit in the driver's seat while you connect the tube to to the bleeder valve. Fill your cup with at least two inches of brake fluid and stick the end of the tube into the fluid. Have your assistant pump the clutch a couple times and then hold it down. You loosen the bleeder valve for a moment, allowing fluid to flow into the cup and tighten it quickly after. Any air in the system will create bubbles in the cup. Have your assistant release the clutch pedal and then you refill the clutch master cylinder reservoir with brake fluid. Next, have the assistant pump it a few times until it he feels some pressure behind the pedal and then have him hold the pedal down. You then loosen and re-tighten the bleeder valve again. Repeat this process until no more bubbles come out of the tube and then do it a few more times to make sure. If you want to find pictures of any parts mentioned here to help you locate them, just search Google images. It's important to perform each step in order. For example, you don't want your assistant to let off the clutch pedal until you have tightened the bleeder valve.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

slightly dumb question, but did you torque every bolt back down, or simply hand tighten them?
Old 02-15-2010, 01:14 PM

I bring my car to my mechanic and he said it's my flywheel problem. Thank you so much for all of your reply.
I think they torque every bolt back down, not hand tighten them. Thank you so much! you guys help me alot. If I have any problem, I will post here again.