Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

About to call Mechanic, so close and so much progress ...

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 09:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to call Mechanic, so close and so much progress ...

so, over the past 4 months ... ive come a long way in getting my h22 civic going ...

fixed map sensor short int he ECU, that was causing the CEL to throw and the engine to run in LIMP mode.

in this time of running in LIMP mode, which is extremely RICH, fuel started getting in the oil (I smelled it in the oil stick and some black smoke out the pipe) ...

so, I fixed what I think was my problem, but now I am dealing with something else ... the car would stall out immediately , so i put in new plugs ... the old ones were black with soot. Now, with the new ones in, the car started OK and run for about 5 minutes before it stalled out. Here is a picture of the 5 minute old spark plug:

The car starts up, then warms up and blows white smoke as pictured here, then stalls out after 5 minutes of being idled.

So, im open to suggestions here ... I konw i was running the car im LIMP mode which was RICH and caused fuel to get in the oil, which is probably the caus for the blackish smoke ... but i wasn't even able to get to my oil change station now that I have the MAP sensor fixed, since it keeps stalling out now ...

(its possible there are other problems, but not likely since it had some work previously from a good shop)

so, im aobut to throw in the towel, and get it towed to a mechanic ... the problem is, I think maybe if i switch the oil it will run better, and why are the plugs getting black so quick? If I have to tow it, removing the front bumper is a B**** since it cant be towed since its lowered without taking parts off ... not to mention the cost ..

so, im open to suggestions here, i can try to change the oil myself, i dont have the equip but just need to call a friend and he can help me ...im not sure if thats the problem though ... there is defenitely gas in the oil and needs to be changed, but i cant get there.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

White smoke= Water...

I am saying a head gasket, which would explain the stalling out (due to lost compression)... and you are fouling out plugs with what LOOKS like oil...
Old 02-13-2007, 09:55 PM

Default Re: (Miracle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Miracle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">White smoke= Water...

I am saying a head gasket.</TD></TR></TABLE>

point, mechanic =]
Old 02-13-2007, 09:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the same thing happen to me when i had a headgasket that was goin south... car would bog at times, stall out... so i thought it was the plugs... changed it... 5min later... same thing....
Old 02-13-2007, 10:03 PM

do a compression test.

and if its just PURE white smoke it will be your head gaskets or it could very well be your rings but most likly your gasket, make sure you tightend everything right and not to tight or too loose.

but i would go with the compression test first.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Any oil on your block? Also you need to tell us what mechanic work was done previously. Sounds like they fucked up.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:28 PM

Default Re: (Hellraver)

i has it towed it in to , well i wont say the mechanics name, buts its a reputable san diego location for honda acura.

my complaint was the car was stalling / not running ....

They did
1) inspection for stalling $160
2) Timing Belt $320
3) Tensioner $80
4) Intake Manifold $708 (they put in a skunk 2, before it was stock)

and, thats pretty much all the work they did ... when i picked up the car it was running in LIMP mode with the CEL light on and blowing smoke, this is my first honda so I found out about this stuff a few weeks later after i was researching why this car is running like crap and getting 13/mpg (see my other posts)

i ended up only driving the car a few times, and then it sat in my garage while i figured out the wiring (there was a short at the MAP sensor) which I overrode (see my other threads). Its been about 4 months now, and i run out of equipment/skills/time to work on ...

do you think the mechanic is to blame? they returned the car to me running in LIMP mode nearly stalling out and blowing white/black smoke, CEL on, saying it was good to go.

EDIT: one last detail, the car leaks radiator fluid underneath the block ... and keep in mind the white smoke ... does this point to blown head or bad seals? mmm
Old 02-13-2007, 10:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You should have taken it back IMMIDIATELY =| it might be too late. You messed up man.

Next time you pay over a grand for mechanic work and you have all those problems, take it back .....
Old 02-13-2007, 10:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (squarepusher)

My HONEST, TRAINED opinion...

It's the mechanics fvck up... An INSPECTION costing 160 bucks? Yeah, RIIIGGHHHTTT...

Something seems a little shady to me PERSONALLY.

EDIT: Coolant coming from the block.... Cracked head/Blown Head Gasket.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ill inspect your car for 20$ !

Edit: Holy shlt .... white smoke? radiator fluid ..... WoW your head/block or head gasket is fvcked. Was it doing this before you took it to them at all? Water pump? Check your lines man it might just be a leaking line/hose. jack the car up and get under it. Drive it around the block just a small tad till it leaks then jack it up fast and look under there and try to trace the leak.

Once again any oil anywhere at all? Thing thats odd is if it was your head gasket/head/block you would see oil ... even a tad maybe
Old 02-13-2007, 10:39 PM

Default Re: (Miracle)

is the caus of a blown head gasket running too lean?

i got this car on a gamble, which it seems i may have lost ... not the end of the world ...

but, he was running a stock P13 ECU (stock prelude) on a 2.4L h22 (bored out), so essentially the engine required much more fuel than stock P13 since it was built ... but was getting perhaps too lean a mixture and maybe this is the caus ... if anything i dont think the mechanic actually CAUSED this problem, although not catching it was a big inconvenience and error on their part. does this sound like it could have caused the problem ? if so, i took it when i got the car 'as is' my fail =[
Old 02-13-2007, 10:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Does the skunk2 have the water lines on it? I read before about people mixing i up at up with the vacuum and boom, white smoke. I'd say check that first thing.

Yager-
Old 02-13-2007, 10:56 PM

Default Re: (ImportHatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ImportHatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Does the skunk2 have the water lines on it? I read before about people mixing i up at up with the vacuum and boom, white smoke. I'd say check that first thing.

Yager-</TD></TR></TABLE>

can you tell from this pic?

Old 02-14-2007, 08:40 AM

Default Re: (ImportHatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ImportHatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Does the skunk2 have the water lines on it? I read before about people mixing i up at up with the vacuum and boom, white smoke. I'd say check that first thing.

Yager-</TD></TR></TABLE>

bump for the skunk2 and water lines question

can anyone tell from the pic above if my SKunk 2 IM has water line on it? i didn't see the instruction manual or can't find one online, so i cant say.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

do you have a picture of where that hose left of the elbowed fitting goes. that to me looks like a coolant hose. also have you checked to see how much coolant you have? if its low than i would guess that the hose i mentioned is coming from a coolant source or its the head gasket
Old 02-14-2007, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

aside from teh hose, you guys are missing a huge possibility of the intake manifold gasket. Half the time people don't watch what they're doing and a small flake of the old gasket stays on the head. If that happens, it can create a massive vaccum leak, and if it's on the cyl 4 end, there is a coolant passage into the head there. I'd bank on that dumping cooling into the runner, also spilling down the back of the block.
If you're compression test checks out, check the hose and then do a compression test on the cooling system. If it can't hold pressure, you know it's leaking somewhere and you can normally hear it.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:44 AM

Default Re: (Bakeoff)

sweet, ill check as soon as i get back from work where the elbowed fitting goes, and also the coolant level.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:23 PM

hmm, coolant level wasn't out of the ordinary ... the oil looked OK too, not like it had coolant in it.

Also, the cable to the left of the elbow hold connects directly to the engine ... i think im taking it to the shop (getting it towed), and a different shop this time. local guy who doesn't specialize in hondas
Old 02-14-2007, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if it connects directly to the engine odds are its a coolant line unless its part of the pvc system.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:26 PM

Default Re: (turtleman321)

allrite, heres a better picture of the hose connection to the engine. Also, does anyone know what type of H22 this is? thats a small point nto to worry about...

there is no trace of water or coolant in the oil ... which im hoping points against head gasket ... sounds like coolant system problems ... the IM was recently put on, and the problem wasn't noticed before that ... but any number of things could have happened ...

Modified by squarepusher at 8:18 PM 2/14/2007
Old 02-14-2007, 04:53 PM

holly **** 708 for the ******* intake manifold
did you bring Vaseline and walk in with your pants at your ankles? because you sure took it up the ***.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok now that i see the line its in the correct place. that line lets oil vapor be circulated into the engine to be burned.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by squarepusher &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

4) Intake Manifold $708 (they put in a skunk 2, before it was stock) </TD></TR></TABLE>

what the hell? are you joking? your a moron for paying to do this.

EDIT: your just a moron.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EJgsr)

Holy big-assed pics Batman! My mouse pad's not big enough for this thread.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Are there any other check engine lights?? If not have you done an oil change just to see if there is any antifreeze in the oil. Have you found your leak? Hoses, Heater Hoses, Water Pump?

Quick Reply: About to call Mechanic, so close and so much progress ...