Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

able to adjust timing belt tension without pulling it all apart??

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 05:45 PM
at the jetties fishin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default able to adjust timing belt tension without pulling it all apart??

I noticed that the tension on my timing belt is a little bit too loose for my taste today. Is there like a little sight plug or something in the timing belt cover that I can go through with a socket to adjust the tension without having to pull apart the whole front of the engine??
Old 06-05-2006, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: able to adjust timing belt tension without pulling it all apart?? (stackz)

you can adjust the tensioner, you just have to remove the plastic timing covers to get to it, but i kinda doubt that's your problem, it probably stretched and needs replacing, the tensioner is worth a try though. IMO you should really replace it, its not too hard, what engine u got?
Old 06-06-2006, 04:09 AM
at the jetties fishin'

Default Re: able to adjust timing belt tension without pulling it all apart?? (littlegreenb18)

just a d15b, I'm only leaving this engine in until september when I can get enough time together to finish pulling out the b18a and trans from my rolled teg and toss in this car. I really dont want to do ANYTHING extra to this engine....just make it last until then.

the timing belt looks just fine, not frayed/glazed/worn looking...it just does its good share of bouncing is all and I know that's not good.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: able to adjust timing belt tension without pulling it all apart?? (stackz)

My B-series has a little rubber plug in the plastic cover over the tensioner bolt. You can try tensioning it, but the last time that mine looked like it was bouncing it was because the belt had stretched unevenly (some parts had stretched more than others) and adjusting the tensioner didn't help. A new belt fixed it right up though