Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

which is which?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2005, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which is which?

is the bigger one for the clutch? and smaller for the breaks?

what do you fill the clutch one with?

Old 06-18-2005, 11:21 AM
official honda whore

Default Re: which is which? (father)

small=clutch
Old 06-18-2005, 11:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the bigger one is for the brakes small one for clutch both take dot 3 brake fluid.
Old 06-18-2005, 11:23 AM

Default Re: which is which? (e jay one)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by e jay one &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the bigger one is for the brakes small one for clutch both take dot 3 brake fluid.</TD></TR></TABLE>

what brand? or does it not really matter? they both take the same fluid??
Old 06-18-2005, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by e jay one &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the bigger one is for the brakes small one for clutch both take dot 3 brake fluid.</TD></TR></TABLE> or DOT 4 brake fluid brand of your choice use same brand for both.
Old 06-18-2005, 11:26 AM

Default Re: which is which? (extra cam needed)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by extra cam needed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> or DOT 4 brake fluid brand of your choice use same brand for both.</TD></TR></TABLE>

what is the diff between the DOT 3 and 4?
Old 06-18-2005, 11:28 AM

different boilling points or some thing weird like that. you only need dot 3 its not like your driving a race car its only a honda. get the brand you prefer.
Old 06-18-2005, 12:02 PM

why not just buy dot 4 just in case
Old 06-18-2005, 01:55 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by e jay one &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the bigger one is for the brakes small one for clutch both take dot 3 brake fluid.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Both dot 3 and dot 4 brake fluids are hygroscopic. Which basically means that they will absorb moisture agressively. The reason you want this is because Moisture can be absorbed through the seals and brake hoses through microscopic pores. Aslo moister is introduced to the system every time the reservoir caps are removed.
Old 06-18-2005, 02:12 PM

Default Re: which is which? (T.J.)

Also i see you have dirt and grease around the master cylinder. Before removing the cap clean it well. Also make sure your hands are clean as well. The worst thing for a a brake system are petroleum based products which the grime and grease around your reservoirs contain. Petroleum if introduced to the fluid will over time cause all of the rubber parts in your brake system to swell which will then no longer seal correctly. If this happens the only way to fix the problem correctly is to replace or rebuild all calipers,and wheel cylinders if the car is equipped with rear drums, replace all rubber brake lines, and the master cylinder, then remove all steel brake lines and clean properly. And if you have ABS you will have to replace that unit as well. Ive had to do this many times on customers cars because they were careless when adding brake fluid to there cars themselves. And its not exactly a cheap fix as well. And it does not take much contamination to destroy a brake system.
Old 06-18-2005, 10:13 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by T.J. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Also i see you have dirt and grease around the master cylinder. Before removing the cap clean it well. Also make sure your hands are clean as well. The worst thing for a a brake system are petroleum based products which the grime and grease around your reservoirs contain. Petroleum if introduced to the fluid will over time cause all of the rubber parts in your brake system to swell which will then no longer seal correctly. If this happens the only way to fix the problem correctly is to replace or rebuild all calipers,and wheel cylinders if the car is equipped with rear drums, replace all rubber brake lines, and the master cylinder, then remove all steel brake lines and clean properly. And if you have ABS you will have to replace that unit as well. Ive had to do this many times on customers cars because they were careless when adding brake fluid to there cars themselves. And its not exactly a cheap fix as well. And it does not take much contamination to destroy a brake system.</TD></TR></TABLE>

He knows his ****....
Old 06-19-2005, 12:31 AM

note to self: don't get **** in brake fluid reservoir....

can't sleep, clown'll eat me...

Old 06-19-2005, 04:13 AM
Imperious: Mod of Valor

Smaller = Clutch
Bigger = Break
Old 06-19-2005, 05:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: which is which? (JDM-EJ1)

Hey I got a quick question regarding the clutch fluid. When I open the cap the fluid is obviously dirty. Its brownish. I want to flush out all the old fluid and replace it with some new fluid. How would I go about replacing all the fluid? Thanks
Old 06-19-2005, 08:11 AM

Default Re: which is which? (TurboEM1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TurboEM1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey I got a quick question regarding the clutch fluid. When I open the cap the fluid is obviously dirty. Its brownish. I want to flush out all the old fluid and replace it with some new fluid. How would I go about replacing all the fluid? Thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>
There's a bleed port on the front of your tranny. Look for the clutch line. Looks just like a brake bleed port. Anyways, Just bleed it down like you would brakes, only pressing down the clutch insted. Make sure to keep refilling the tank. Just keep bleeding till the fluid starts looking cleaner.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:58 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by T.J. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Also i see you have dirt and grease around the master cylinder. Before removing the cap clean it well. Also make sure your hands are clean as well. The worst thing for a a brake system are petroleum based products which the grime and grease around your reservoirs contain. Petroleum if introduced to the fluid will over time cause all of the rubber parts in your brake system to swell which will then no longer seal correctly. If this happens the only way to fix the problem correctly is to replace or rebuild all calipers,and wheel cylinders if the car is equipped with rear drums, replace all rubber brake lines, and the master cylinder, then remove all steel brake lines and clean properly. And if you have ABS you will have to replace that unit as well. Ive had to do this many times on customers cars because they were careless when adding brake fluid to there cars themselves. And its not exactly a cheap fix as well. And it does not take much contamination to destroy a brake system.</TD></TR></TABLE>

what would i use to clean it
Old 06-19-2005, 11:56 AM

Just take some brake cleaner spray it into a rag and whipe it off.