Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

99'SI wont start, battery not dead, Maybe a short?? Just asking for a place to start!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99'SI wont start, battery not dead, Maybe a short?? Just asking for a place to start!!

Well yesterday it started hailing and i went outside to move my car, had the door open long enough to close my umbrella, got in, started my car and moved it to my garage. A key note is the fact that my door got wet and a little of the dash, but not enough to make a difference! Later i went out to take my car out of my garage and it would not start. First it made the clicking noise, tried firing it up agian and the ecu made a funny noise, tried again and there was a funny noise coming from the steering wheel area! The lights on the gauge console would be bright, then dim when turning the key, then, it seemed as if the car lost power and i know it did because the alarm would go off as it does when you disconnect and reconnect the battery! I tried to jump the car even though i just got a new optima battery which i was thinking to myself at that time it better not be dead! Did not work, nothing did. However, i can pushstart my car and it runs fine, no problems, i can turn the key to the on position and everything works, stereo, ac, lights! What the expletive is going on? I have inspected my engine bay to see if anything was wet and it was dry as a bone! Any suggestions, the sound when trying to start it now comes from the left side of the steering wheel under the dash, its kind of a electrical short sound, and the car seems to short out when i turn the key cause the alarm goes off. I have also noticed that the alarm is on just like it usually is with the red light blinking. Any kind of advice would be great!!
Old 05-04-2006, 12:51 PM

Default Re: 99'SI wont start, battery not dead, Maybe a short?? Just asking for a place to start!! (rokwilde

did it crank over at all?
Old 05-04-2006, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 99'SI wont start, battery not dead, Maybe a short?? Just asking for a place to start!! (rokwilde

Correction, now no noise what so ever when key is turned, nothing, no clicking or electrical sounds, just all lights dimming, alarm going off and as soon as the key is turned back to off position, the lights get brighter and the alarm gets louder. Could the ignition be shorting out, is there any way to tell? Maybe the alarm? HELP
Old 05-04-2006, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

TO GSRh@tch

No it does not when i try starting it with the key, when the key is in the on position everything is fine everything is on and works, but when the key is turned that little bit extra farther to start the car, everything goes to hell! The car does run though, i can push start it and it runs with no problems what so ever!
Old 05-04-2006, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Check fuses. Any make sure they are all fully seated and the screws on the under hood ones are tight.
Old 05-04-2006, 01:16 PM

yeah check all your fuses. and make sure your relays are all tight also. It may be a short in your starter.
Old 05-04-2006, 01:16 PM

if you want, tap it with a hammer and see if it turns over then...
Old 05-04-2006, 01:17 PM
Banned

Modified by CardDealer at 2:25 PM 11/16/2006
Old 05-04-2006, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

IN process of checking all fuses and starter now also, not sure how to check the starter but i am going to try. So far, there are no recalls on my car but i am going to try again. ill let you guys know and any other suggestions are greatly appreciated! thanks again
Old 05-04-2006, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

IN process of checking all fuses and starter now also, not sure how to check the starter but i am going to try. So far, there are no recalls on my car but i am going to try again. ill let you guys know and any other suggestions are greatly appreciated! thanks again
Old 05-04-2006, 02:34 PM

worst comes to worst, buy a new starter. but check all your fuses!!!!
Old 05-04-2006, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

blown fuse, poor battery connection, locked starter or faulty ignition switch.

this is based on the power dropping out completely when you try to start it.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:01 PM

Default Re: (Relic1)

hmm
Old 05-04-2006, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok guys, ive done alot of work on my car, suspension, timing, some head work, and replaced alot of seals and gaskets. the usual intake, camber kits, brakes and filters BUT, where is the ignition switch? what will i need to remove to get to it? Any way to tell if its bad?
Old 05-04-2006, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

ignition switch - where you insert the key
Old 05-04-2006, 04:24 PM
M12
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rokwilder1)

Hmm....check grounds? Get your battery checked out. Its free at autoZone.
Old 05-04-2006, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 05-04-2006, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (M12)

I had this EXACT same problem with my optima battery, DO NOT do anything before getting a new battery, optimas are garbage
Old 05-04-2006, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

TO sicones

I tried jumping it and it still would not start, should that matter? Did you try jumping your car? What exactly was the problem?
Old 05-04-2006, 06:15 PM

Default Re: (sicones)

holy crap. i had the SAME problem too in my ek. I had a yellow top and one day i walked out to the car and it was dead. No juice at all and wouldnt take a charge. Deff try another battery.
Old 05-04-2006, 11:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im going to pull the battery out of my ex girls car tomarrow and see what happens. hope this is the problem but i think its the ignition swithch or the starter but we will see. Still doesn't make sense that it would be the battery since i tried jumping it but its the easiest thing to check so ill try it before tearing apart the steering column or taking off the starter.
Old 05-05-2006, 02:38 AM

Default Re: (GSRh@tch)

same thing happended to my girlfriends em1. she drove it about 30 minutes prior to it dying and then she went to move her car and it was dead. she had a yellow top optima too. i dropped my battery from my dc5 into hers and it started right up.
Old 05-05-2006, 05:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jdm roxorz)

dude I though my ignition switch went bad or my viper alarm, I WENT CRAZY, but it was just that crappy optima battery, and yea it can be dead to the point where jumping it wont let you turn over

it seams when the optimas go dead they show 12.7 volts and some lights on the car are bright but the battery is a ******* brick
Old 05-05-2006, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sicones)

let us know how it goes
Old 05-05-2006, 11:51 AM

its probably the battery, same thing has happened to me w/ the same battery. I was able to jump it though, but it died later on and wouldn't start again. Thank god for warranties.

If for some reason it turns out not to be the battery check your grounds and your alternator

Quick Reply: 99'SI wont start, battery not dead, Maybe a short?? Just asking for a place to start!!