Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

99 si suspension in 98 ex

Old 06-22-2015, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 si suspension in 98 ex

hey everyone,
i just have a couple questions. iv recently swapped a b18c1 in my 98 civic ex and now im looking at re doing the front suspension (pretty much everything, rack n pinion, tie rods, ball joints, brakes, calipers etc) and would like to replace with civic SI parts...so i guess my question is will the suspension from an SI be correct fitment for an EX? im pretty sure it would be but would like some clarification on it. also the parts will probably be ordered from rockauto.

thanks
Old 06-22-2015, 11:27 AM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 99 si suspension in 98 ex

Yes, the SI suspension components will bolt right up. If you're looking at buying new, though, you might want to take this opportunity to upgrade. Koni yellows, along with Ground Control springs, should be competitively priced, and will give you better performance.
Old 06-22-2015, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ill look into that, itll be awhile of collecting all the parts little bit at a time. and i imagine pretty much everything from the si would be an upgrade to the ex correct?
Old 06-22-2015, 12:50 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eh, some of it is the same, some of it is better, and some of it is just made to a different specification.

To really pinpoint it, your best bet would be to use Majestic Honda - The Internet's #1 Honda Automotive Parts Store, search by each different car, and see what part numbers are the same, and what's different.
Old 06-22-2015, 02:53 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't bother with the steering rack

Breaks are the same. suspension is barely stiffer, and the sway bar is bigger. LCA"s, are 1 peice instead of 2.
Old 06-23-2015, 05:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 98civdx
Don't bother with the steering rack

Breaks are the same. suspension is barely stiffer, and the sway bar is bigger. LCA"s, are 1 peice instead of 2.
Yeah front brakes are the same but the rears are different (drums vs. disks).. The Si front sway is larger but mounts differently so you have to run the Si front LCAs to use it. (You can also just go aftermarket here for a larger sway bar that fits the EX LCAs.) The shocks/springs bolt right up but again I would just go aftermarket here. The Si rear sway is nice but could also be replaced easily with aftermarket stuff.
Old 06-23-2015, 08:20 AM
Master Detailer

You basically just re-worded what i said.
Old 06-23-2015, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Side question related to OP.
If using a rear 13mm sway bar from a Si and putting it on a Ex, do you need any sort of back plate?
I know that no reinforcement is required, but from my research I had read that the Si subframe is beefier then the Ex Subframe. (but I cant find any pictures or proof of this)
But then I have read people say they have had no issues with the 13mm bar on their dx/ex.
How do you bolt the bar to the Subframe then? Just use 4 8x18 Bolts and nuts as the subframe is really thin and does not appear to be threaded.
Or do the Si models have a prefabricated Back plate in the subframe ?

Sorry if im thread jacking but this is still related to the OP with suspension compatibility.

Mark
Old 06-23-2015, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so not really worth switching to an SI setup since good quality aftermarket parts would be better anyways? and im honestly not sure lazyEK
Old 06-23-2015, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by roryss024
so not really worth switching to an SI setup since good quality aftermarket parts would be better anyways? and im honestly not sure lazyEK

I guess to each their own, like personally I am enjoying making an Si Replica from an EX, and I am getting the Si Parts for next to nothing, so For me its a bonus, why spend 200 Dollars + for reinforcement plus cost of huge sway bar, when I am only daily driving /commuting my car to work. So a small sway bar to help with body roll on round-abouts and highway on ramps would be nice, but I just need a solid find on the Back plate thing. . .

Thanks
Marek
Old 06-23-2015, 01:06 PM
-Intl Steve Krew

Received 183 Likes on 161 Posts

Si rear sway bar is fine without a brace.

CTR rear or equivalent/bigger needs a brace.

I 'upgraded' from ebay coils to OEM CTR springs/shocks, and I feel it's the best bang for the buck if you aren't upgrading to something like Koni Yellows and GC coils. Cost me $248 shipped from H motors. They're 250/250, OTS GC's are 350lbs/inch. They ride like a stock car, but you still have that 'sports car' feel. It felt great in the mountains this weekend, that's for sure!

Si Front LCA's need to be had for the Si or CTR front sway bar.

Front brakes are the same.

Rear brakes are a good investment for the future if you plan on upgrading them further. If not, well, they still look better than drums.

As far as suspension, that's about it. Don't forget the front strut bar.
Old 06-23-2015, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Caoboy
Si rear sway bar is fine without a brace.

Hey Coaboy, i understand that part, but my concern mainly is that the Si apparently has a back-plate welded in the subframe with threads that you would typically bolt the sway bar to using the factory brackets, the EX does not have any sort of back plate or threads in that matter on the subframe.
My question is how do people actually mount the factory 13mm Si Bar to the Subframe with out a reinforcement Bar?, Do I need to make Back plates? Do I just use bolts and lock nuts?
I have an idea from 98civdx as he told me he had his just bolted with bolts and lock nuts right to the subframe and he has had no problems.
So I will probably just go this route...

Marek
Old 06-23-2015, 06:13 PM
Master Detailer

the thing with the subframes.

They are literally the same subframe for exception of the plate for the sway bar. That plate, is nothing but a piece of metal with threaded holes in it. You can absolutely tear an "SI" subframe just as quick as an EX.

Now. With a bar as small as the 13mm there's no danger. I and MANY others have ran a 13mm bar (and bigger) for years without issue.
(Note, I am now running a 17mm Eibach rear bar without any reinforcement. )
I will throw this out, I happen to be running very high spring rates. So how much the sway bar is actually doing, I don't know. But i've used both bars with as low as 350LB in the rear and I drive the car aggressively.

*****HOW I INSTALLED****
I used 4 10mm bolts, and 4 lock nuts. They were the closet I could find that fit the holes in the subframe. The holes are aprox ~11mm. When the bolts are tight there is no slop/movement whatsoever. You will need to slightly open up the holes on the bracket though. Not much, but 10mm bolts don't fit.
This is the bracket that bolts to the subframe, and the D bracket bolts to it.

other than that you can use ALL the factory hardware.

There is another option.

If you are still worried about doing this, you do have a second option.

ASR sells their backing plates ( that would normally come with the Brace) These can be had for ~$20 direct from ASR.

WIth those I do believe you could all the factory hardware, but please don't quote on that. ASR should be able to supply the bolts in the case that can't.

With all the questions that come up about this topic, I may do a DIY on how to install the sway in the next few weeks.
Old 06-24-2015, 03:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 98civdx
the thing with the subframes.

They are literally the same subframe for exception of the plate for the sway bar. That plate, is nothing but a piece of metal with threaded holes in it. You can absolutely tear an "SI" subframe just as quick as an EX.

Now. With a bar as small as the 13mm there's no danger. I and MANY others have ran a 13mm bar (and bigger) for years without issue.
(Note, I am now running a 17mm Eibach rear bar without any reinforcement. )
I will throw this out, I happen to be running very high spring rates. So how much the sway bar is actually doing, I don't know. But i've used both bars with as low as 350LB in the rear and I drive the car aggressively.

*****HOW I INSTALLED****
I used 4 10mm bolts, and 4 lock nuts. They were the closet I could find that fit the holes in the subframe. The holes are aprox ~11mm. When the bolts are tight there is no slop/movement whatsoever. You will need to slightly open up the holes on the bracket though. Not much, but 10mm bolts don't fit.
This is the bracket that bolts to the subframe, and the D bracket bolts to it.

other than that you can use ALL the factory hardware.

There is another option.

If you are still worried about doing this, you do have a second option.

ASR sells their backing plates ( that would normally come with the Brace) These can be had for ~$20 direct from ASR.

WIth those I do believe you could all the factory hardware, but please don't quote on that. ASR should be able to supply the bolts in the case that can't.

With all the questions that come up about this topic, I may do a DIY on how to install the sway in the next few weeks.

Thanks man, this is exactly what I was looking for ! Everything on the internet says that a 13mm bar is fine and blah blah blah, but there is no actual DIY on the install without the use of a reinforcement bar. People just say they have it installed but dont specify the details if they used a back plate, or just nut and bolt.
This will clear up a ton of confusion I think!

Thanks Again
Marek
Old 06-24-2015, 05:26 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Because its a straight bolton.
Old 06-24-2015, 02:37 PM
Master Detailer

bolt on or not, there's still a SH*T ton of confusion about it because every person says something different. Unfortunately with HT some of it is complete bullshit.

I'm going to buy a new camera, and do a detailed DIY with parts list when I do rear do my suspension in the next coming weeks.
Old 06-29-2015, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey,

I just installed the Rear Sway bar on my EX, and it went pretty smooth, I just used 5/16 bolts that were 1 inch long (3/4 inch) would work, with a washer on each side of the Sub frame and a lock nut, tested it all out with pretty hard driving and holding strong!
I took pictures along the way, 98civdx if you want them to write up a DIY I can send them over to you?

Marek

Last edited by LazyEK; 06-29-2015 at 10:23 AM.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:37 AM
Master Detailer

please!