Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

99 lx civic fluid swap help !?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 99 lx civic fluid swap help !?!?!

Hey guys, like the title says I have a 99 lx silver civic sedan. For one if you have any stock good condition body parts for sale let me know.

Anyhow...
Im looking to do a brake fluid flush, trans fluid and radiator fluid change. How much of each (size container) will I need? I dont want to buy a 12$ jug when I could of got the 4$ small can ya know? I have an autozone nearby I use for stuff like this so maybe you can refer me to a product they carry. Would really appreciate it!!

O yea...and what are your guys thoughts on Fuel Injector Cleaner additive (gas tank)? Do you think this stuff really cleans up the internals or what?
Old 09-24-2009, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 99 lx civic fluid swap help !?!?!

1. brake fluid ---> biggest bottle, forgot the size.
2. radiator fluid ---> 1 gallon 50/50 premix
3. trans fluid --> 2 qrt.

Fuel injector ---> don't know but I put a bottle every 6 month.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Radiator and Brake I'll easily do. Trans is to sloppy haha

Brake fluid - largest is 32oz prestone synthetic hi-temp dot 3 fluid (sounds good to me?)
Radiator - Prestone 50/50 premix. Most of them say mix with any color antifreeze, whats that all about. If its 50/50 isnt it half antifreeze half water already?
Trans - To be determined
Old 09-28-2009, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, as it looks to be I found out he best Trans fluid is the OEM ATF fluid. How about when it comes to the brake fluid? Is there anything anyone prefers or is recommended for Honda OEM?
Old 09-28-2009, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

fellow sedan owner!

I use the Prestone DOT 3 fluid at Autozone and its fine. I used the Valvoline ATF and havent had any problems yet in about a year. And the 50/50 Prestone coolant is fine. Its cheaper to buy pure coolant and mix it yourself using distilled water, but its a little more of a hassle. I like autozone for easy stuff like fluids and bulbs, belts, etc. But anything remotely major I buy OEM.

Oh the mix with any color means you can add it to any type of coolant, such as if you were topping it off. but you dont mix it if youre draining and refilling you just pour it in the way it is.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Alpha whats up man! Thanks for the response, helps alot! Seems to be for fluid as of now, power steering and trans fluid are strictly OEM for the most part. Radiator and Brake seems fine with just the Prestone from the Zone!
Old 09-01-2011, 06:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bringing this thread back to life.

I have yet to do a trans fluid drain/flush. I would really appreciate some expert advice opposed to brologic

I had a "flush" done on my 994dr lx at 75k. I know am almost double that at 146k.
I have 3qrts of OEM trans fluid sitting. As always will get mixed reviews, where do I stand at this point? My trans is getting very slugging and shifting aggressively into gear. Quite possibly even slipping at that as there is a bit of delay when I shift into drive from park before the trans engages.

At this point, a flush is what's needed to force out any build up in the valve body or passages etc to free up anything that's stopping the fluid from flowing properly. BUT, is a flush at this point in the cars lifetime with one done at 75k and me now at 146k the stupidest thing to do and asking for breakdown?

I know that if you don't do a flush for a while, the sediment becomes part of the atrans and is best to be kept in there. What to do guys???
Old 09-01-2011, 06:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by civlxbro
I know that if you don't do a flush for a while, the sediment becomes part of the atrans and is best to be kept in there. What to do guys???
Assuming you have an auto trans?

I'm not sure how it works with Hondas but with other cars I've heard of pulling a hose off the radiator/tranny cooler and put that in a bucket (the one that comes from the cooler to the trans so you get a flush of the cooler as well). Then you start the engine and pour fluid in the dipstick while the old fluid drains out until it runs clean. Helps to have someone manning the ignition key and stepping on the brake/shifting through the gears.

Maybe someone here has tried this with a Honda?

Anyway I'd think using this method you run a lesser chance of loosening sediment as the fluid flows normally but at the same time you get a complete change of fluid.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've got a 99 Lx auto as well with 230,xxx miles on it, 100% bone stock. I follow the Honda trans recommendation of drain, refill, drive for a few miles, repeat 2-3 times. I've done this to my trans for years and have yet to have a problem at 230K and climbing, car see's 150 miles a day, 5 days a week.

Do you have the new Honda ATF DW-1, Honda replaced the old ATF ZF-1(IIRC) with this new fluid recommendation.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

one shop telling me a flush is what's needed and is fine while the other is saying just a drain and fill
Old 09-01-2011, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If it was me, I would just do the drain and refill, Honda does not recommend flushing. According to my Honda dealer, they don't power flush, they just flush the old fluid out with new fluid under low pressure. The same can be done with the above mentioned method.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

3quarts is enough is it not? I was told by the dealer 3 is all I will need. Maybe that is "just" for a drain/refill?

The shop that I may do the work at is telling me if I were to do a flush, I would need a whole lot more than that and would cost me an arm and a leg just for fluids. So he suggests his own which is graded as close to OEM as possible. He's also not rapeing me on price for his fluid, so it seem as if he's not just trying to "sell me".
Old 09-06-2011, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I personally use Valvoline Maxlife ATF
Kickin *** for three years now (although I drain and fill it once a year cuz driving in this Texas weather can be brutal)

Drain it, fill it, drive it 10 miles
Repeat twice
Enjoy
^^
Old 10-03-2011, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm just going to play the safe route and follow your guys along with hondas recommendations. Drain, refill, properly shift through gears, reverse etc, drain refill and be good with it. I'll just do it twice all together.

A while ago I went to the dealer and got OEM fluid to do the job. They told me for a refill I'll only need 3quarts. Then I'm looking at the honda recommedations and they say 11.7 quarts are needed? wtf?

http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/tsb/civic/x00-012e.pdf
Old 10-04-2011, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So I finally got around to doing drain and refill. I did that once, took her out for a drive and got the fluid throughout each gear, reverse, neutral, pretty much each gear, played around with the shifter a bit and left it at that. I didn't have time before work to do another round or 2 of drain and refilling. She slides into 2nd gear now and I'm ecstatic about everything feeling good! Took a big weight off my shoulders thinking this or that, my trans is going blah blah. Luckily all it needed (fingers crossed) was some new fresh fluid.

My question, I'm bringing the car by my friends dads shop this Saturday. Should I have him drain the new fluid and refill it with the same fluid again for it's second drain refill and then be good with it? Or is it stupid by that time to even bother?
Old 10-07-2011, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also how often is recommended to drain/refill? Every 30k sound about right?