Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

99 ex intake installation

Old 06-04-2004, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 ex intake installation

Ok, I've searched for this a couple different ways and still haven't found a good resource. I recently purchased a used AEM Short Ram Intake from a buddy who had it on his 99 ex for only 2 months. I have all of the install hardware but no directions. I'm fairly new to this, and VERY new to Honda's. This will be the 3rd mod done to the car (I/E/H), but the first that I'll be putting on myself. I'm not sure if I missed it but is there a good vehicle specific complete installation walk through for SRI here on H-T??? If not can someone point me to a good one??? Also I'll be using a buddy's tools, and help...so a list of tools I'll need would be helpful as well. Any help is greatly appreciated guys
Old 06-04-2004, 12:23 PM

Default Re: 99 ex intake installation (jaydogg80)

lol, if you had some else do the Header and Exhaust installation, let them do the intake.

basically, take off the front bumper. take off the stock intake, this part may be hardest. Put new intake onto throttle body/intake manifold/whatever the name is. Mount it accordingly. Put bumper back on. Done.
Old 06-04-2004, 12:25 PM
11:11

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: 99 ex intake installation (jaydogg80)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jaydogg80 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm not sure if I missed it but is there a good vehicle specific complete installation walk through for SRI here on H-T??? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Probabley not, because most of the members on here have enough common sense on how to remove and install an air intake.

But seriously, if you don't know how even with your buddy's help, just look for, and remove all the screws mounting the stock airintake to the engine bay. Then put your new one on, and hook it back up.
Old 06-04-2004, 12:26 PM

Default Re: 99 ex intake installation (barefootbilly)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by barefootbilly &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lol, if you had some else do the Header and Exhaust installation, let them do the intake.

basically, take off the front bumper. take off the stock intake, this part may be hardest. Put new intake onto throttle body/intake manifold/whatever the name is. Mount it accordingly. Put bumper back on. Done. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Why take off the bumper, it's a short ram.
Old 06-04-2004, 12:31 PM

because you have to unbolt the stock box that goes into the fender well or front bumper
Old 06-04-2004, 12:33 PM

Default Re: (1fst4)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1fst4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">because you have to unbolt the stock box that goes into the fender well or front bumper</TD></TR></TABLE>

O, didn't realize it was like that. My 98's stock intake crap was all in the engine bay.
Old 06-04-2004, 12:57 PM

Ok, what I DID NOT want was a bunch of people explaining generically how they did theirs, and a bunch of people ******* me for not being born with this knowledge. Usually the first time you do something is when you learn how to do it. I was confused b/c some of what I've read didn't mention removing the resonator box, and I've also heard of having extra hoses dangling and things like that. I'd rather get directions from someone who knows what needs to be done and can explain it than do it myself and **** something up, I suppose thats dumb? If you can't help with what I asked for (vehicle specific walkthrough) then don't reply...boosting your post count by flaming other people doesn't make you a tech guru, it makes you a dick
Old 06-04-2004, 01:36 PM

Default Re: (jaydogg80)

lol, i've been here for a few months, look at my post count. does it seem i'm worried about post count?

anywho, I have the same exact "application" you have. I told you what to do. Then 5 more people came in here and said the same thing. Nobody's flaming you, just telling you how to do it in lamens terms.

1. take off bumper
2. unscrew the plastic intake tubic everywhere you can see
3. remove it
4. put new intake 0 into the slightly bigger 0 of the very middle top of the engine bay
5. bolt down.

aye yi yi.
Old 06-04-2004, 01:54 PM

I hear ya, didn't mean to jump down yer throat or anything, the whole "if you had someone do the exhaust and headers then have em do the intake" was what kinda pissed me off. If it were feasable at the time I would have done them. I pretty much knew all of the steps that you posted. I was wondering more about whether the resonator box needed to be removed or not...because I read a couple instances where it wasn't mentioned. I also read about having an extra hose after installing the intake, just wanted to find out which hoses, sensors, etc. needed to be attached and what the deal was with this 'extra' hose.
Old 06-04-2004, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (barefootbilly)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by barefootbilly &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

1. take off bumper
2. unscrew the plastic intake tubic everywhere you can see
3. remove it
4. put new intake 0 into the slightly bigger 0 of the very middle top of the engine bay
5. bolt down.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Don't forget to put the bumper back on

There is a hose going from the valve cover to the intake, that's probably the hose you're refering to. Also the sensor should pop into place. Well it did on my $15 ebay one, I'd imagine AEM would have their act together at least that much

Go ahead and take your stock one off and have a looksee, it makes more sense when you look at a clean area in there.
Old 06-04-2004, 03:00 PM

Default Re: (jaydogg80)

Been like this for about 3 years now