Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

99 civlx 4dr Exhaust System Urgent Help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 99 civlx 4dr Exhaust System Urgent Help!

What's going on guys...
Hopefully I can get some help on this topic and I can take care of this immediately.

The other night, I started my car up and right away knew something was up with the pipes. Either a weld cracked from years ago that I had done to seal up (I believe) part of the section 2 or sprunk a new leak.

Today I brought it in and where the bracket connects to the section1 looks a bit split. Spot weld or fully replace? I have no problem fully replacing the pipe (labor is no issue) if I can find the right deal. Used, brand new whatever it be.

THEN, we start to look back and my damn muffler snapped right off in between where it connects to the section 2 and the muffler itself. So I need a new muffler as well which is not the hard part. Found one at autozone? for about 70$

I get a price quote for sec1, sec2, muffler and all hardware. !!!!!$$$850$$$$!!!!!

Way out of my league and felt I was getting owned so dipped out immediately. Figured I could pull the parts together myself over the net and with your guys help and then bring it to my friends dads shop and have him do the labor at minor cost.

I seen nothing at all wrong with the sec2 and maybe he was just going for the full kill. I'm going to my friends dads shop this Saturday and am going to see what he thinks about the section2. It snapped after the connection to the muffler and right before the muffler itself, so I don't really see the need for a new sec2.

PLEASE HELP GUYS!!!! I'm newb when it comes to sourcing things for my civic!
Quoted - $503 for sec1
457 - sec2
65 - muffler (sounds about right)
gaskets hardware etc...rest of the total sum
discounted 25% comes out to $835 all said and done!

Please Help me make this cheaper!!!!
Old 10-04-2011, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: 99 civlx 4dr Exhaust System Urgent Help!

Are you asking whether the price estimates are fair (belongs in Value Thread at the top) or do you have a technical question? Please clarify.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry, didn't know where to properly place this thread. Please move if it needs a new home. I just know this section gets the most traffic and would get noticed as some of the other subforums are pretty quiet.

Um...I guess both? Am I being ripped off AND need help finding the parts so I can do it on my own for cheaper. I always know work and parts can be had for cheaper, so I would bet anything that's priced rather high as they've always priced their work high.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I got mine from autopartswarehouse.com

from the cat converter back - everything, hangers, gaskets, pipes, muffler, it was like 300 with 2 day shipping.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You are not describing it right.

Is the header (exhaust manifold) cracked that is the section in the front of the car and for lx's the cat converter is attached.

If that is shot and then you need the rest of the exhasut back then 850 is not super out of line, a bit expensive.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the reply moteg, I do appreciate it.

Not explaining it right...hmm

(back to front) muffler connects to sec2, to sec1, to the headers.

The section1 that I am speaking of that had a visible crack that they quoted me like $500 looked like so:
http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/...ek+Google+Base

The section2 looked good to go and I think they said screw it lets go for the whole monty. I'm taking it to my friends dad who knows his stuff and will finalize if the sec2 needs to be replaced at all or not.

The muffler, there's no doubt about it that I need a new one. A blind person could see that crack lol

What is the closest to stock/oem muffler I could find? I'm going to see what's up with meineke tomorrow to see if they have something I could work with. Then they could just bend a fitting pipe to the section2.
T
Old 10-04-2011, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never paid an exhaust shop over 200 bucks for making an exhaust.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You have a header to a flange... to catalytic converter to a flange... to a mid pipe to a flange... to a axle back or rear pipe to a muffler...
Old 10-04-2011, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How does this check out?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/-?cmd...m=360383136510
Old 10-04-2011, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

section2 Im referring to is with the resonator. Is that the axle back/rear pipe you're mentioning?
Old 10-04-2011, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by civlxbro
section2 Im referring to is with the resonator. Is that the axle back/rear pipe you're mentioning?
no resonator is in the mid pipe... as far as that muffler/axle back checking out? It's fine. I'm still lost on what and where it is broken?
Old 10-04-2011, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, lets try and get on the same page lol

The axle back is the bent pipe immediately connected to the muffler that I just posted of that ebay pic right? That then connects to the section2/midpipe with the resonator in it right?

What is completely split is the pipe immediately connected to the muffler which seems to be the axle back. That particular problem would be solved by just getting the oem muffler on ebay from the link I posted above.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I appreciate you taking the time out to help btw 99civ
Old 10-04-2011, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, lets try and get on the same page lol

The axle back is the bent pipe immediately connected to the muffler that I just posted of that ebay pic right? That then connects to the section2/midpipe with the resonator in it right?

What is completely split is the pipe immediately connected to the muffler which seems to be the axle back. That particular problem would be solved by just getting the oem muffler on ebay from the link I posted above.
Yes. If the only part is the part to the muffler than yes the picture/item you posted will fix that... Should be an easy bolt on too.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah should be a done deal. Telling me I need a section2/midpipe I didn't see any point. There was a good 4inches+ of pipe still connected of the axle back after the crack to the section2/midpipe that would easily allow me to disconnect the remains of the axle back and bolt up the new muffler/axle back. The crack was like literally right after the muffler where the axle back piping began.

I may play it safe and get new hardware just in case for that particular connection. Which hardware would I need for that? Is there a hardware set I can grab from the dealer or parts store?
Old 10-04-2011, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Second part, the piece I keep referring to as the Section1. That is the next visible pipe connected to the midpipe that seems to maybe have a slight crack at the weld point. If there is a crack or not and need this replace I will get verified most likely this Saturday. I'm just trying to make sure I'm sourcing the right piece which I feel 100% I am, but....? maybe I'm not?

That part looked exactly like this:
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...51_0_3143_5501
Old 10-04-2011, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah should be a done deal. Telling me I need a section2/midpipe I didn't see any point. There was a good 4inches+ of pipe still connected of the axle back after the crack to the section2/midpipe that would easily allow me to disconnect the remains of the axle back and bolt up the new muffler/axle back. The crack was like literally right after the muffler where the axle back piping began.

I may play it safe and get new hardware just in case for that particular connection. Which hardware would I need for that? Is there a hardware set I can grab from the dealer or parts store?
Yeah new hardware would definitely be needed because after a can of PB BLASTER and a breaker bar... You WILLLLLLLLL not use those bolts over... lol. Here's a link to the diagram... You can also go to honda yourself and order them off of this diagram.
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...5=EXHAUST+PIPE
Old 10-04-2011, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Second part, the piece I keep referring to as the Section1. That is the next visible pipe connected to the midpipe that seems to maybe have a slight crack at the weld point. If there is a crack or not and need this replace I will get verified most likely this Saturday. I'm just trying to make sure I'm sourcing the right piece which I feel 100% I am, but....? maybe I'm not?

That part looked exactly like this:
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...51_0_3143_5501
from the engine to the mid pipe...? Then yes that is correct. DOWN PIPE.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Spot on, yes aka downpipe. I guess I'm just used to the terminology used when breaking down pipe sections for my other car.

They wanted 500$ for that piece alone. The only thing that was priced accordingly was the muffler at 65$
Old 10-04-2011, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Spot on, yes aka downpipe. I guess I'm just used to the terminology used when breaking down pipe sections for my other car.

They wanted 500$ for that piece alone. The only thing that was priced accordingly was the muffler at 65$
Between the 4 hondas I've owned... I've never paid more than 200 for an exhaust while supplying the muffler. They typically rape you on the muffler alone... I used a es tuning on my 4dr now for 60 bucks because they said a stock was 186.99...
Old 10-04-2011, 10:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That LX header/cat is ridiculous as well as very restrictive/ugly
Switch to the EX exhaust system:
Header-->Downpipe-->Catalytic Converter-->Midpipe-->Muffler
All that together, plus the conversion harness to lenthgen your O2 sensor wires to their new locations further down the pipe shouldn't cost you that terribly much.
Plus if you use flanged piping, you don't have to pay a shop the labor to weld it because you can do it yourself in your garage/driveway.
^^

Header/downpipes---http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=99+ civic+header&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Catalytic converters---http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trkparms=65%253A12%257C66%253A2%257C39%253 A1%257C72%253A5212&rt=nc&_nkw=99+civic+catalytic+c onverter&_dmpt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories& _sticky=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_sop=15&_sc=1

Catback (midpipe + muffler)---http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trkparms=65%253A15%257C66%253A2%257C39%253 A1&rt=nc&_nkw=99+civic+catback&_dmpt=Motors_Car_Tr uck_Parts_Accessories&_sticky=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m 14&_sop=12&_sc=1

Take your pick dude
^^
(and don't rib me on ebay listings-I'm lazy atm)
XD
Old 10-05-2011, 06:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm not looking to go crazy Texas, she is my daily and I have my other baby to rip around. I know to well about cats built into the headers being restrictive. My other car is an 04 m3 and in the us for emissions, or just to be stupid, they did the same thing. 4 hour job tool me and a friend putting in new headers to free her up. One of the best mods you could do to that car. Dyno sheets read +20bhp just off of that alone
Old 10-05-2011, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for going out of your way though with the links etc, seems more work than it's worth imo
Old 10-05-2011, 07:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 99civ
Between the 4 hondas I've owned... I've never paid more than 200 for an exhaust while supplying the muffler. They typically rape you on the muffler alone... I used a es tuning on my 4dr now for 60 bucks because they said a stock was 186.99...
See I knew we were talking about the same thing all along heh, just used different wording. Knew the parts I sought out were the right ones, I just wanted to verify. I think I'm going to get what i can in terms of hardware at autozoneto savee some. The gasket alone is like 12$ vs 3$ I don't think they have much more than that though lol

Looks like ill need a new rubber hangar, gasket and 2 bolts with springs for them. Don't have the pic in front of me right now, may be another piece or two I need.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok so replace the two broken parts and call it a day. From what you have described, the mid pipe is fine. You have already discovered for yourself that the shop was way too expensive. No one on this site will tell you to pay a shop anything. It's a DIY site so go do it yourself.

Quick Reply: 99 civlx 4dr Exhaust System Urgent Help!