Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

99 civic timing belt skipped tooth, how to get TDC?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 civic timing belt skipped tooth, how to get TDC?

I have a 99 civic ex that skipped tooth and wont start. I got a new timing belt and water pump and began the job today. Tomorrow i plan on finishing up. I have read multiple writups and watched videos on timing belt replacement but im not sure how to safely get car back to tdc when the marks on the crank and cam pulleys do not line up. I realize the cam pulley and crank can be 180 degrees out based on the fact the crank turns 1:2 with the cam.

I have everything off right now except crank pulley and lower cover. Tomorrow i plan to turn the crank to where the cam pulley is at tdc then remove the crank pulley and lower cover. After I do that how do I get the pulleys lined up? Do I simply pull the timing belt off and spin the crank to match the cam at tdc? Im also not sure if I spin clockwise or counter clockwise depending on how far off the timing is.

Can you please educate me here to help me get a grasp on what I need to do?

Thanks in advance
Old 02-23-2012, 09:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 99 civic timing belt skipped tooth, how to get TDC?

If it's only one tooth off, it shouldn't be too bad.
Heck it should even run (albeit like crap) if it's a tooth off
To get it back at TDC, with the belt still attached, rotate the crank till it's pointing at TDC, then take the belt off
Depending on how the belt was a tooth off (advanced or retarded) turn the cam SLOWLY forward or backward till the marks on the cam line up with the top edge of the cylinder head and the UP arm on the cam gear is vertical (but make sure the marks are even with the top of the head more than anything)

If you do it this way you should be ok
Just be very careful so you don't bend a valve!
(please someone correct me if I'm wrong-I don't wanna cost this guy some valves! XP)
Old 02-23-2012, 09:52 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

You've got the right idea.

Set both cam/crank at TDC, and complete the timing belt job.

However, be carefull, these little guys are very easy to get a tooth off.

Before you put the timing back on the crank pulley, put the lower timing cover/and the crank pulley back on. Now, put the belt over the cam gear. Spin over and re set TDC and make sure it's still the same, tighen tensoner.

I spin it over 5 or so times, check it, and do it again just to be carefull.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 98civdx
Before you put the timing back on the crank pulley, put the lower timing cover/and the crank pulley back on. Now, put the belt over the cam gear. Spin over and re set TDC and make sure it's still the same, tighen tensoner.

I spin it over 5 or so times, check it, and do it again just to be carefull.
Let me clarify to make sure I follow:

1. Before removing old timing belt set crank to tdc.
2. Remove crank pulley, lower cover, and timing belt.
3. Put lower cover and crank pulley back on (Im not sure I understand why im putting the crank pulley and cover back on?)
4. Put timin belt on cam gear and spin around a few times to make sure its TDC (not sure the purpose here either?)
5. Put on new belt

Im not sure I follow here. If the marks on the cam and crank pulley line up where they should be isnt it at tdc? Im not sure I understand the purpose of your instructions above where I included my confusion in 2 places.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:40 PM
Master Detailer

Originally Posted by zrs6v4
Let me clarify to make sure I follow:

1. Before removing old timing belt set crank to tdc.
2. Remove crank pulley, lower cover, and timing belt.
3. Put lower cover and crank pulley back on (Im not sure I understand why im putting the crank pulley and cover back on?)
4. Put timin belt on cam gear and spin around a few times to make sure its TDC (not sure the purpose here either?)
5. Put on new belt

Im not sure I follow here. If the marks on the cam and crank pulley line up where they should be isnt it at tdc? Im not sure I understand the purpose of your instructions above where I included my confusion in 2 places.
1. No, becuase you said it skipped a tooth, so it will be off no matter what. The old belt has to come off before you attmpet to set it at TDC.

2. Yes, this is required.

3.After you put the new belt in, put the timing cover back on, and then the pulley. The rearson why, is there is < mark on it, that will you tell when it's at TDC. with the white mark from the crank pulley pointing to it.

4. This is the way I was told to do by a 20+ year Honda tech, and everything I have found says to do that. The reason why is so you can make sure it's still at TDC, and you didn't get it a tooth off. That is also how you tenson the belt.

5. No! The new belt must be on before all of this.

Yep, the mark on the crank pulley will be in the < thing of the timing cover, and the up mark of the cam pulley will be pointing stright up.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 98civdx
1. No, becuase you said it skipped a tooth, so it will be off no matter what. The old belt has to come off before you attmpet to set it at TDC.

2. Yes, this is required.

3.After you put the new belt in, put the timing cover back on, and then the pulley. The rearson why, is there is < mark on it, that will you tell when it's at TDC. with the white mark from the crank pulley pointing to it.

4. This is the way I was told to do by a 20+ year Honda tech, and everything I have found says to do that. The reason why is so you can make sure it's still at TDC, and you didn't get it a tooth off. That is also how you tenson the belt.

5. No! The new belt must be on before all of this.

Yep, the mark on the crank pulley will be in the < thing of the timing cover, and the up mark of the cam pulley will be pointing stright up.
I think I understand what your saying now. O literally studied and memorized the writeup in the faq and after reading a few times I
Now understand what you were saying (at least until i attempt this in reality).

I confused the testing and tightening process (you were speaking of) that is part of the normal timing belt job with my original question about lining the crank and cam at TDC.

With that said, unless I missed something, I will line up the crank at the tdc marks before i remove the pulley and belt, then line up the cam pulley at tdc with the crank after the old belt is off. Is this the proper way to get the engine in tdc before going through the testing and tightening process?
Old 02-23-2012, 11:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds good to me
^^
Old 02-24-2012, 08:29 AM
Master Detailer

Originally Posted by zrs6v4
I think I understand what your saying now. O literally studied and memorized the writeup in the faq and after reading a few times I
Now understand what you were saying (at least until i attempt this in reality).

I confused the testing and tightening process (you were speaking of) that is part of the normal timing belt job with my original question about lining the crank and cam at TDC.

With that said, unless I missed something, I will line up the crank at the tdc marks before i remove the pulley and belt, then line up the cam pulley at tdc with the crank after the old belt is off. Is this the proper way to get the engine in tdc before going through the testing and tightening process?
honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about getting it set now, just get it close enough, that will make it a little easier on you when the new belt is in.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Will do, thanks for the help!
Old 02-24-2012, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is it better to be in tdc #1 or tdc #4? i dont have timing marks on my 95 civic. aftermarket cam gear didnt come with the marks. and im doing a water pump.
Old 06-10-2017, 06:24 AM
Trial User

my car is a 99 civic ex vtec, need some help i need to know if 12° is the rigth timing for my engine d16y8,