Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

99 civic suspension

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 99 civic suspension

Whats up guys. I recently bought an ex civic. Just got a quick question. I am looking for a smooth suspension, that gives a civic EK coupe a nice stance as well. My Question is what suspension is out there that meets my needs. I have been out the game for a while, I want to see if there is any other new suspensions out there. Any advice would be good.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 99 civic suspension

pretty much, if you want lowered stance w/ a smooth ride, any descent shock w/ a lowering spring will get you threre.

Race coilovers/sleeves use liner spring rates which means they are very stiff all the time and harsh on ride, where as lowering springs are progressive (soft initially and hard when you compress them) that way you keep a nice smooth ride.

depending on price you can spend 4-600 ish for a complete set. I know for a while JHPUSA had a Blox spring/S2 sport shock combo for like $420 or something...

Last edited by Thmanx; 06-16-2011 at 10:49 PM.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:52 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by integratyper1990
Whats up guys. I recently bought an ex civic. Just got a quick question. I am looking for a smooth suspension, that gives a civic EK coupe a nice stance as well. My Question is what suspension is out there that meets my needs. I have been out the game for a while, I want to see if there is any other new suspensions out there. Any advice would be good.
Define "smooth". What is smooth for me may not be smooth to anyone else. This question doesn't have enough info in it to answer correctly.

Originally Posted by Thmanx
pretty much, if you want lowered stance w/ a smooth ride, any descent shock w/ a lowering spring will get you threre.

Race coilovers/sleeves use liner spring rates which means they are very stiff all the time and harsh on ride, where as lowering springs are progressive (soft initially and hard when you compress them) they way you keep a nice smooth ride.

depending on price you can spend 4-600 ish for a complete set. I know for a while JHPUSA had a Blox spring/S2 sport shock combo for like $420 or something...
Race coilover/sleeves? I don't think you really know what you're talking about. And recommending a crap combo like Blox/Skunk 2 and calling it a "racing" setup proves that this recommendation is not at all a knowledgeable one.

OP. Go to the suspension forum and read the threads there.
Depending on budget the hands down choices are Progress CS-II, Koni/Ground Control and then AMR. If you want it slammed go with K/GC.
Old 06-11-2011, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Lower you are more stress will be put on suspension. It's hard to ride low and have a smooth ride. Unless you have incredible shocks and springs.
Old 06-11-2011, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

even w/ the best shocks and springs riding low will hinder ride quality

No matter how good your shocks are, 10k/8k springs will still feel stiff
Old 06-11-2011, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Define "smooth". What is smooth for me may not be smooth to anyone else. This question doesn't have enough info in it to answer correctly.

Race coilover/sleeves? I don't think you really know what you're talking about. And recommending a crap combo like Blox/Skunk 2 and calling it a "racing" setup proves that this recommendation is not at all a knowledgeable one.

Depending on budget the hands down choices are Progress CS-II, Koni/Ground Control and then AMR. If you want it slammed go with K/GC.
Any set up that uses linear spring rates and high levels of dampening is imo designed for a race set up, Where as simply a lowering springs is more for sport/show. I recommended the blox (or w/e lowering spring you chose) with a Skunk2 sport shock (or any other shortened shock body) as a budget way of having a lowered car that will ride smooth and last a long time.

the reason full coil overs ride stiffer is the design of their springs, linear rate vs progressive.

Why the hating?
Old 06-12-2011, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the replies but I'm not looking to slam the car where i cant fit a cell phone under the front lip. On my type R I used to just have the regular type r shocks with tanabe lowering springs which gave me an unbelievably smooth ride. Such as highway driving.

Im looking more at replies that have just brands. What experiences have people had on such suspensions and longevity of the suspension.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so you are looking to lower, or just focused the smooth ride?
Old 06-12-2011, 07:27 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

What's your budget? We can't really help you with out having a number.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i love my ksports... :-)
Old 06-13-2011, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

mostly a smooth ride

I'm open to every suggestion so no i have no budget.

I have had many people praise ksport was looking at the those at first but would like to know other setups that work well.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc

Follow Grumble and 98Civic, don't tell us you don't have a price range either. Because you know that's not true!

Just stick w/something that is tried and true, which several members use successfully...Progress/KoniGC/AMR from cheapest to highest...or you could just pull a gangster move and run w/Moton, but do you have 7k+ to shell out on suspension?

Old 06-13-2011, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My question to you is which of the folowing is most important to you

A) dual ride height adjustibility
B) dampening adjustment
C) slammed ride height

You looking for pure looks & show or pure function/race?

For smooth ride I'd try out something like an G2 shock with Tein lowering spring. (or any good sport shock/good lowering spring combo)

Before I got my ProC's I ran Skunk2 sport shocks + Skunk2 coil sleeves. Gave me the drop I wanted with stiff/sporty ride. But I'd definetly say it wasn't as smooth as a lowering spring. That setup was more of a budget race build.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by PreyStayShun
Follow Grumble and 98Civic, don't tell us you don't have a price range either. Because you know that's not true!

Just stick w/something that is tried and true, which several members use successfully...Progress/KoniGC/AMR from cheapest to highest...or you could just pull a gangster move and run w/Moton, but do you have 7k+ to shell out on suspension?

Lol. Who in their right mind would spend 7k on suspension for a civic. I would maybe think of doing that on my Audi a8 but a civic??? Cmon man.

On a serious note thank you for the imput about the Progress/KoniGC/AMR suspension will look into to them.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just get some tein basic damper its gana give you the closest to oem feel and you can also adjust stance or ground controls that will fit your oem strut...... i got skunk2 pro s full coileovers and they are pretty stifff i can feel every crack on the road unfortunately they came in my car wen i got it, if not i would of gone with the tien basic damper for almost the same price..... its your choice tho
Old 06-14-2011, 10:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jdmhondas4life
just get some tein basic damper its gana give you the closest to oem feel and you can also adjust stance or ground controls that will fit your oem strut...... i got skunk2 pro s full coileovers and they are pretty stifff i can feel every crack on the road unfortunately they came in my car wen i got it, if not i would of gone with the tien basic damper for almost the same price..... its your choice tho
Thanks will look into it.

Finally some replies that re useful!!
The following users liked this post:
Old 06-14-2011, 11:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im running tein s techs on my 96 civic with stock struts. Ride quality is decent and my car isnt slammed. I am quite pleased.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:20 PM
Master Detailer

Originally Posted by integratyper1990
Lol. Who in their right mind would spend 7k on suspension for a civic. I would maybe think of doing that on my Audi a8 but a civic??? Cmon man.

On a serious note thank you for the imput about the Progress/KoniGC/AMR suspension will look into to them.
My friend's dad's road race coupe has more then that in it. (Motion shocks) We're talking 12k+ in his suspension.

For a street car it's absolutely pointless. But when your buying quality parts, and not junk the amount adds up very fast.

First off, the basic is one of the worst coilovers for the money. You could get koni/gc for a little more, and they will blow those pieces of **** out of the water, AND they will last.
Secondly, Basic's have been known to blow below a 2'' drop.
Third, closest to OEM feel? Your high.
Forth, koni/gc comes with a life time warranty, does Tein? No.

GC's on OEM shocks? come on man! Why would you ever pair a great set of coilovers with shitty OEM shocks that will blow, and leave you with a bouncy and uncomfortable ride?

I have ridden in and driven a few car's with basic's, and I can promise you without a doubt they don't ride anything like stock.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:50 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Where does this assumption come from that a spring/shock combo naturally rides differently than a full coilover?
Old 06-15-2011, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry 98civdx it must be that time of the month right!!!!!!!!!! **** if some one wanted to trade tein basics for my pro S i would do it any day !!!!!!!!!!!!!! plus he dosent even wana drop his car alot to worry for blown suspension!!!!!!! and last ......not everyone wants to drive their cars like maniacs and blow their **** every month!!!!!!! I know alot of people who have had basic dampers for more then 6 years ........ and at least they feel better then skunk2!!!!!!!!! if he is willing to trow good cash then F#$@ it get Tein Comfort Sport Coilover their expencive but alot of people prefer them 100 time more the koni look at this thread for more info https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-tsx-46/tein-comfort-sport-coilover-2759120/

Last edited by jdmhondas4life; 06-15-2011 at 08:55 PM.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:38 PM
Master Detailer

sorry 98civdx it must be that time of the month right!!!!!!!!!! **** if some one wanted to trade tein basics for my pro S i would do it any day !!!!!!!!!!!!!! plus he dosent even wana drop his car alot to worry for blown suspension!!!!!!! and last ......not everyone wants to drive their cars like maniacs and blow their **** every month!!!!!!! I know alot of people who have had basic dampers for more then 6 years ........ and at least they feel better then skunk2!!!!!!!!! if he is willing to trow good cash then F#$@ it get Tein Comfort Sport Coilover their expencive but alot of people prefer them 100 time more the koni look at this thread for more info https://honda-tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2759120
And yet another noob who can't type. If you want to come here and talk ****, please PLEASE learn how to spell and type in a educated manner. You can't see, but I am laughing my *** off.

Skunk2 suspension sucks, we know, I know. I have their coilovers and likely have a lot more experience with skunk2 suspension, and quality parts then you for that matter.

Who said anything about driving like a maniacs and blowing **** every month?

I would never spend that kind of money for tein products. Sure, some of their products are nice, but aren't nearly worth what they cost.

I can very confidently say Koni/gc or AMR coilovers will blow anything Tein can make out of the water. best of all, both company's I mentioned offer a lifetime warranty! Does tein? I didn't think so.

The link you posted doesn't mean a thing.
Old 06-16-2011, 02:47 AM
Ek Forever y0!

lol@ one thread with a few people praising one product. That doesn't make it better than the most widely used track shock/coilover in the world.

The 2011 members think they're hot ****.
Old 06-16-2011, 03:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

idk about you guys, not to self plug or praise or anything... but i love the performance and handling my ProC's give me...

I know Aaron, Tony, Charles, and Dave who work down there personally, they are cool cats who genuinely care about their product. So i'd hardly call their products ****.

Just sayin...
Old 06-16-2011, 09:37 AM
Master Detailer

Definitely a plug. But that doesn't matter, one guy with all of the skunk2 parts in the world doesn't make them any better.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:44 AM
Ek Forever y0!

I didn't see any skunk2 parts on any of the cars at my last autocross. I've been sure to ask people I do course work with, and occasionally you'll find someone using a camber kit. Usually to ADD camber, not take it away.

Quick Reply: 99 civic suspension