Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

99 civic sputtering on take off- died on road- now cranks but wont start

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 05:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default 99 civic sputtering on take off- died on road- now cranks but wont start

So, for the last 3 or so weeks randomly I would get sputtering off of take off once in a blue moon that would seem to auto correct itself, happened 2 or 3x in roughly a month. First time it happened I was at about 1/4 of a tank- so I figured it was that- topped off gas and it went away. 2nd time it happened after a rain storm, but clear up within 2-3 miles of driving. Today started perfect- drove 2 miles started sputtering and died out. Then tried to restart it and nothing, cranks- but doesn't fire. Awaiting a tow to my house to diagnose the problem.

So- in the mean time, I will be checking fuel, spark, air.. was thinking its probably a distributor- (hopefully just a cap, but I doubt it) I already have in the garage a cap, rotor, plugs, wires, fuel filter, air filter --was meaning to do a tune-up, just didnt have time. Having a day off of work -but virtue of a non running car frees up your time though. So I am going to do a tune-up and hopefully she fires up.
Reading posts on here---Im worried it wont be that easy.

So I will change out everything, then test spark -via screwdriver + spark plug wire- then Ill move to fuel-- I *believe* the fuel pump is priming as it did start without issue this morning and I think I heard it (will check out further when car gets here) but I figure Ill check fuel at the rail. Then go through the air filter, etc. Then Ill check out all fuses, and grounds.

After that, I have no clue, is the sputtering then dying and not restarting a known issue for anything? ICM/Distributor? I searched but read through a bunch of posts that are similar, but without resolve.

Thanks
Old 05-11-2015, 05:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 99 civic sputtering on take off- died on road- now cranks but wont start

OH- battery is a year old- timing belt has ~20k on it. so I dont think it slipped a tooth, but I guess anything is possible. Distributor is original ~180k on it. All tuneup parts are probably 4 years ish old. or about 20k miles---(not a huge mileage car)
Original y7 in car-
Old 05-11-2015, 05:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 99 civic sputtering on take off- died on road- now cranks but wont start

incase anyone runs into this problem- I think its the coil- I just went and purchased one- and will pull the old one and test it now- will update thread incase this solves issue.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

You haven't posted any solid basic diagnostic information. Did you check spark, fuel pump priming, timing belt, and CEL codes?
Old 05-11-2015, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry--- been tearing it down.
Spark on all plugs
Fuel pump priming- changed fuel filter
Timing belt at TDC- appears to be solid shape
No CEL.

Cranks and cranks- just doesn't fire. Definitely getting fuel to the filter- as I left a washer off and wore some of it. Possible injector clog- haven't gotten to that yet.
I hear it sucking air, see fuel at the filter, and see spark. Just doesn't fire. I ended up changing the entire distributor- (rotor/cap/Coil and all as one) So theoretically it *shouldn't* be that- it was from advance though, so who knows.
Old 05-11-2015, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Does it start with starting fluid?
Old 05-11-2015, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So--update. It was the coil. Its back to running condition-
I tested the coil using a multimeter and it was out of spec.

Anyone searching this----check your coil spec from link below
Advanced Ignition Troubleshooting - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra

^ believe it or not, RonJ was responsible for the link as well, I found it from a search on here from a few years ago regarding coils.

Anyhow---I ended up doing a full tune up - everything oil, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, distributor,fuel and air filters, valve lash, front brakes/rotors- adjusted the rears, made all new grounds from 8 gauge wire, wipers, rain-x the windsheild, buffed the headlights etc. Went through the whole car. Im sure it was the coil b/c I purchased an all in one - distributor, coil, cap, rotor as one piece, removed the coil, placed in my old distributor, and it fired right up.
I ended up replacing everything in there, just b/c I have more money then time at the moment and can't afford anymore days down. The gentleman at advance (who was wearing a little pin that said ASE certified) told me he's never seen a coil make it to 190k. I told him he mustve worked on fords, and we both chuckled.

Anyhow - thanks again for everyone's time- Hopefully this will help someone in the future when searching-
Old 05-11-2015, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good job. Glad to know you're back on the road.