Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

99 Civic Si (Canadian) Build... (Sort of)

Old 03-24-2012, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Civic Si (Canadian) Build... (Sort of)

Hi, I have a few questions now that I am almost ready to start working on my car. First of all, I have a 1999 Civic SI which is Canadian, I was told it was equivalent to an EX from USA. I know my engine is SOHC, pretty sure it is a d16y8.

I want to do a few things to the car. I know for a fact I will be sanding the whole car down, buying the SIR spoiler, buying a new OEM front bumper (Current is cracked) then painting the car. I am stuck if I should sandblast the steelies on it, then paint them black, or buy some used aluminium wheels? I don't want to spend too much money on the rims.

What I came here for is some advice on the performance. The car is 127 HP I believe, I find it sort of slow... I don't really notice much when the VTEC "kicks in" I don't think I want to go with a turbo because I don't want to go through a headache about this, because I heard so many bad stories. I was thinking some minor engine internals, headers, exhaust, chip maybe? I just want things that I can do myself and with some help, don't want to screw my car over. I need this to be a good daily driver, and still be able to have some fun with this car.

I am already going to get an alarm installed, so that's covered.

Also, there is someone selling a rear disc brake set from a (Canadian) SIR that apparently bolts onto my car. (Drum's ATM) He is selling the set for $200, anyone have any experience with that? I am also thinking of lowering the car but not too much, don't want a really stiff ride.

Basically I just need some advice on what to do, the body is already getting a complete overhaul and will hopefully look brand new/stock really soon.

Any help is really appreciated, thanks
Old 03-24-2012, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 99 Civic Si (Canadian) Build... (Sort of)

I also forgot to add, I would like this car to be around 160 - 180 HP in the end. Should I get a CAI?

It would also be so helpful if you could please link me to exact parts, or exact names, I really don't know too much about Honda's I just have basic car knowledge.

Thanks.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:37 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You're not getting an exact parts list. 160-180hp is absolutely not realistic. For the money you could probably turbocharge 3 cars. Mind you that is even if you COULD get to that goal N/A.

You didn't even mention a budget. Making horsepower on a D-series is expensive to the point you have no idea. You could make about 140hp relatively inexpensively but after that mark it becomes immensely difficult and immensely expensive to pull more out of it. Hint. A CAI won't get you but a few horsepower, if that.

As has been stated in all the "How to make power?" threads ever started concerning a D-series, boost, swap or leave it stock. Do some research.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just a quick question....

I was told it was a D16Y8, but I read somewhere that, that engine doesn't say VTEC on it. My engine says 1.6 VTEC on it. I know for a fact it's a SOHC though. Is there anyway I can find out for sure. I know the engine has been swapped previously.

Also, for a budget, performance wise, I was thinking 2 grand. I am going to be spending quite a bit on body, and suspension if needed.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:21 AM
The Grumpiest

Where is it written that VTEC engines are supposed to absolutely have VTEC stamped anywhere on the car? The engine code is stamped on the block. Open Hood. Look down and to the left of the exhaust.

You won't get anywhere with only $2k for an N/A D-series.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:40 AM
Crazy Honda Guy

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Xenon7
Also, for a budget, performance wise, I was thinking 2 grand. I am going to be spending quite a bit on body, and suspension if needed.
2 g's in Canada won't get you far for body work, it cost me 5 grand to do my EM1, and that wasn't even the whole car.

As far as your sohc vtec engine goes, adding 50hp n/a would be very very costly.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The 2 grand doesn't include the body work. It won't cost me that much for body work because the car is somewhat "mint" It just needs a new paint job and a bumper.

I just want to be able to compete with a Canadian SIR (American SI). I know it will be expensive to make it any quicker, but I just want it a bit faster, I really don't think I should do boost as I have no experience in boost, and have heard a lot of bad things. I want to make the car look nice, and ride nice, and also sound nice. I really don't want a fart muffler, but something that sounds, "good".

Was thinking, headers, intake, exhaust, chip possibly?

Also, grumblemarc, you said it would be inexpensive to make it around 140HP, how much are we talking, and what were you thinking?

2 grand budget for performance unless I can be persuaded.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:55 PM
The Grumpiest

I told you. You're not going to get a parts list as it can be done many ways. This not a grocery list. And I said relatively inexpensive. If you don't want to muck about with engine internals then it cannot be done at all and it sure as hell can't bee done with any bolt-ons so might as well just swap engines.

You're going to have to do some of your own research. Go browse in the All Motor forum.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't mind doing engine internals. I just said I didn't want to boost the car.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:17 PM
The Grumpiest

Don't know what you're missing. Build it N/A and you'll still be slow and a CRV will still mop the floor with you. And don't tell me it will be enough horsepower for you because you wouldn't be trying to get more power out of it now.I'm boosted on stock internals and not many Hondas can touch me and I still want more power.
Old 03-24-2012, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

180 hp with a y8 and no turbo ..... cheaper to just go buy a rsx with alot of miles.
Theres 2 options, different engine, or turbo. Well 3, make your budget about 3x what you got now.
Old 03-24-2012, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Honestly, I probably will want more power, but if I do, I will probably get another car. I just want to be to have this car a bit faster, I am really eager to do work to it, but I don't know what to do, that's why I am here asking. Do I just go to a shop and order Headers and an exhaust? Or can I get some better ones online. Also, I need help with a chip, don't know much about them at all, but would love to do it.
Old 03-24-2012, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by redm3turbo
180 hp with a y8 and no turbo ..... cheaper to just go buy a rsx with alot of miles.
Theres 2 options, different engine, or turbo. Well 3, make your budget about 3x what you got now.
I would rather not have an RSX. If I were to upgrade from a Civic I would love it to be a big upgrade, I'm only 16.
Old 03-24-2012, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Boost this boost that... that's what everybody says, all the time. I never once hear somebody say, "You know, I think you should actually take some time in understanding all the fundamentals of how the internals of an engine work, and what makes power and torque, and what works against these things" etc, etc. Boosting is everybody's easy way out. However, you do have a SOHC, and it seems like that's all people do with those motors. That's all I have to say about that, and that's all I am GOING to say about that.

I say do what you want. You're a beginner, so there is most definitely going to be trial and error along the way. If this is going to be your only build, and you aren't going to add anything later (this is it, this is as far as you're going with mods), then you may want to do tons more research than you already should. Chances are though, you will want to go further.

It does take a lot of time, reading and researching and what not, pricing everything out. Someone can't just hit the easy button for you and have it done without effort. To do it right, you need to know what you're putting into the motor, and why it's going to make it better... and not just go off of what everybody else is doing or saying. I guaruntee half the people that mod their cars cannot tell you exactly why they modified whatever they modified. It's just because it's the general knowledge of whatever everybody else is doing.

You're headed in the right direction though.
Old 03-24-2012, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by blkSi
Boost this boost that... that's what everybody says, all the time. I never once hear somebody say, "You know, I think you should actually take some time in understanding all the fundamentals of how the internals of an engine work, and what makes power and torque, and what works against these things" etc, etc. Boosting is everybody's easy way out. However, you do have a SOHC, and it seems like that's all people do with those motors. That's all I have to say about that, and that's all I am GOING to say about that.

I say do what you want. You're a beginner, so there is most definitely going to be trial and error along the way. If this is going to be your only build, and you aren't going to add anything later (this is it, this is as far as you're going with mods), then you may want to do tons more research than you already should. Chances are though, you will want to go further.

It does take a lot of time, reading and researching and what not, pricing everything out. Someone can't just hit the easy button for you and have it done without effort. To do it right, you need to know what you're putting into the motor, and why it's going to make it better... and not just go off of what everybody else is doing or saying. I guaruntee half the people that mod their cars cannot tell you exactly why they modified whatever they modified. It's just because it's the general knowledge of whatever everybody else is doing.

Thanks for that, I know I want to go in the right direction, but I don't know exactly where to look, if you know what I mean. I know engine internal's will be good, but I don't know what to replace inside the engine, and why. It would be really nice if someone could show me somewhere that explains after market internals.

Honestly, I don't think I will ever boost this car.
Old 03-24-2012, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also, a part from engine "mods" what else should I be looking into? I was thinking about a short shifter. Also, my stick feels really loose. Like I can be in first gear and I can wiggle the shifter all around. Someone told me I can go under the car and there is a bolt that I have to either add or tighten to make the shifter more stiff. Can I get some clarification on this?
Old 03-24-2012, 02:54 PM
The Grumpiest

Originally Posted by blkSi

You're either highly delusional or on some serious drugs if you think for one hot second going the forced induction route is somehow the "easy route".

I can tell you EXACTLY what I modified and why I modified it and I can tell you why it's only modified to the level it's modified to.

Sounds like you don't have a clue what BOOST is all about for you to even come out of your mouth with that.

Also, if you don't even know how your engine works then you shouldn't be touching it in the first place. That one is for the OP.
Old 03-24-2012, 02:56 PM
The Grumpiest

Originally Posted by Xenon7
Also, a part from engine "mods" what else should I be looking into? I was thinking about a short shifter. Also, my stick feels really loose. Like I can be in first gear and I can wiggle the shifter all around. Someone told me I can go under the car and there is a bolt that I have to either add or tighten to make the shifter more stiff. Can I get some clarification on this?
Kid. Stick to one issue at a time so as not to confuse the main focus of the thread. All this other stuff is nothing.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:05 PM
The Grumpiest

And just to sum up. The REASON everyone says to boost or swap the engine is because those two options are the most cost effective means of getting power out of your current engine or getting a more powerful engine into it?

Do you really want to learn by trial and error? make all the mistakes the multitude has made before you only to wind up frustrated with the outcome and that much lighter in the wallet? That has GOT TO BE the stupidest kind of advice I see that is handed out on the forums.

You want to reinvent the wheel? Go right ahead. Don't even bother posting.

Want to get it right with the least amount of fuss? Then do what is known to work.

Do you think you're just going to be spoonfed all the answers? Not a chance in west Hades.

I have 3 links in my signature. Click on them and read everything you can find in them. After you're done THEN come back and ask some questions that show that you actually have done some homework.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
And just to sum up. The REASON everyone says to boost or swap the engine is because those two options are the most cost effective means of getting power out of your current engine or getting a more powerful engine into it?

Do you really want to learn by trial and error? make all the mistakes the multitude has made before you only to wind up frustrated with the outcome and that much lighter in the wallet? That has GOT TO BE the stupidest kind of advice I see that is handed out on the forums.

You want to reinvent the wheel? Go right ahead. Don't even bother posting.

Want to get it right with the least amount of fuss? Then do what is known to work.

Do you think you're just going to be spoonfed all the answers? Not a chance in west Hades.

I have 3 links in my signature. Click on them and read everything you can find in them. After you're done THEN come back and ask some questions that show that you actually have done some homework.
Alright, I read a few threads/guides. I just have a few questions about this.

1. I know it said not to buy an ebay turbo kit in one of the guides, but do they sell whole "kits" that contain everything I will need to do the turbo.

2. Is this going to cause a lot of stress on my engine? The engine is pushing 200,000 clicks and I don't want to make it go.

3. This is a daily driver, I will be using this to go to school, can this still perform normally? Like, I don't want to have breakdowns that wouldn't happen if I didn't have the turbo.

4. Gas mileage. Will it change for the worse? I am a student and really don't want to have to spend heaps on gas, kind of the reason for a civic.

5. In one of the threads, it says tuning will cost A LOT of money. Well, my budget for everything would be around 2000 - 2500. Will it be doable? I can do all the labour myself, just need parts.

Thanks for the help. Maybe.
Old 03-24-2012, 04:23 PM
The Grumpiest

You haven't done any due diligence when it come to searching but against my better judgement I'm going to answer your questions.

1-Go-Autoworks sells complete turbo kits but you still have to take care of fuel and engine management. Get an Ebay kit to keep costs down but you best swap out the turbo and wastegate at the minimum.
2-Stock blocks can handle about 200hp safely. Get a compression test to see if your engine is healthy.
3-Stay out of boost Maintain it. You should have no issues.
4-Stay out of boost Maintain it. You should have no issues.
5-Tuning will require an EMS with a tunable ECU. $500 for a good ems and maybe that much to tune it by an experienced tuner.

TBH you can't do it on your budget. Swap the engines.

But seriously? Your priorities a all screwed up. College? Keep it stock and don't monkey around with it with your near total deficit of modding knowledge.
Old 03-24-2012, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
You haven't done any due diligence when it come to searching but against my better judgement I'm going to answer your questions.

1-Go-Autoworks sells complete turbo kits but you still have to take care of fuel and engine management. Get an Ebay kit to keep costs down but you best swap out the turbo and wastegate at the minimum.
2-Stock blocks can handle about 200hp safely. Get a compression test to see if your engine is healthy.
3-Stay out of boost Maintain it. You should have no issues.
4-Stay out of boost Maintain it. You should have no issues.
5-Tuning will require an EMS with a tunable ECU. $500 for a good ems and maybe that much to tune it by an experienced tuner.

TBH you can't do it on your budget. Swap the engines.

But seriously? Your priorities a all screwed up. College? Keep it stock and don't monkey around with it with your near total deficit of modding knowledge.
I'm actually still in high school, grade 11. I really love car's, I take auto mech class, I work in a mechanic shop during the summers. I just have no experience what so ever in modding. That's why I just wanted to do headers, exhaust, and intake, because I know I can do it all myself. I honestly don't want to keep the car stock, I just want to be able to say I did something.
Old 03-24-2012, 04:46 PM
The Grumpiest

Save more money. You're in over your head.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

instead of all this just get a car with a fast engine already.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As you can tell already, people don't like for you to come on here and ask for answers like that.

I don't know, maybe I'm different... because I've been there too. So I'm all for just helping another guy out. A lot of answers on here are just given, nobody likes to explain anything.

The reason I said "easy route" is most people that do turbo, slap it on and call it a day. Even you said you're boosted on stock internals. My point is that's what everybody says to do. First, before just suggesting something to someone, you might want to explain why it would be a better benefit. Er wait, just be like everyone else...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 99 Civic Si (Canadian) Build... (Sort of)