Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

99 civic Si airbox w Spoon filter vs. AEM CAI??? whatcha think?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2004, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 civic Si airbox w Spoon filter vs. AEM CAI??? whatcha think?

Yeah I searched and didn't find too much....but

What do you guys think about using the 99 Civic SI airbox and neck for my hybrid hatch. Grabbing a SPOON or KN drop in filter and getting rid of this damn AEM. I am tired of worring about water etc. Plus my inner fenders are long gone since i am tucking rim/tire

Old 05-15-2004, 08:13 PM

Default Re: 99 civic Si airbox w Spoon filter vs. AEM CAI??? whatcha think? (Em0ne)

Just use the arm from the Si or cut your old aem cai into a short ram.
Old 05-15-2004, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 99 civic Si airbox w Spoon filter vs. AEM CAI??? whatcha think? (Em0ne)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Em0ne &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah I searched and didn't find too much....but

What do you guys think about using the 99 Civic SI airbox and neck for my hybrid hatch. Grabbing a SPOON or KN drop in filter and getting rid of this damn AEM. I am tired of worring about water etc. Plus my inner fenders are long gone since i am tucking rim/tire

</TD></TR></TABLE>

water spray isn't going to hydrolock your motor. submerged filter element while driving thru puddles will.
Old 05-15-2004, 11:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 99 civic Si airbox w Spoon filter vs. AEM CAI??? whatcha think? (Jdmbsixteen)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jdmbsixteen &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just use the arm from the Si or cut your old aem cai into a short ram.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 05-16-2004, 03:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yea i'm wondering about this too
Old 05-16-2004, 04:51 AM

Default Re: 99 civic Si airbox w Spoon filter vs. AEM CAI??? whatcha think? (Huggy Bear)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Huggy Bear &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

water spray isn't going to hydrolock your motor. submerged filter element while driving thru puddles will.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wrong. I have an AEM v2 on my hybrid hatch, with no inner fender wells, and it rained really good here on day in TN and my car turned off on me and I couldn't make it turn on. Had to leave it in the parking lot overnight and appearently everything was cool after that.

My car also started bogging on the interstate once when it began raining moderately hard. That's why I have invested in finding another intake while I wait for my flywheel to get here.
Old 05-16-2004, 05:38 AM

Default Re: 99 civic Si airbox w Spoon filter vs. AEM CAI??? whatcha think? (Hatchbizzack)

I'm trying to learn more so bare with me....I know little about Hondas...

Wouldn't it be beneficial to buy a water bypass valve? Or do AEM's come with em...
Old 05-16-2004, 05:59 AM

Default Re: 99 civic Si airbox w Spoon filter vs. AEM CAI??? whatcha think? (jrow87)

You can get a bypass but i have heard alot of horror stories about them coming apart and getting in the engine (lil rubber flaps) and etc. I am tryin to use some factory reliable parts here lol.. and yeah I know all about hyrdo lock and etc. Some lady pulled out in front of me one day and when I merged i went thru a larger puddle and it BENT the rods and valves. The rods where slapping the bottom of the deck and look like a bananna when we pull'd them

BUMP
Old 05-16-2004, 06:06 AM

Default Re: 99 civic Si airbox w Spoon filter vs. AEM CAI??? whatcha think? (Hatchbizzack)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hatchbizzack &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Wrong. </TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Huggy Bear &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

water spray isn't going to hydrolock your motor</TD></TR></TABLE>

Please explain to Honda-Tech how <u>water spray</u> is gonna hyrdro lock your engine Hatchbizzack?
Old 05-16-2004, 06:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So long as you've got the lower plastic guard on that runs beneath the front of the car and the sump etc you wont have any problems because the filter is protected from splash and spray. Just avoid floods etc..
Old 05-16-2004, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hatchbizzack &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Wrong. I have an AEM v2 on my hybrid hatch, with no inner fender wells, and it rained really good here on day in TN and my car turned off on me and I couldn't make it turn on. Had to leave it in the parking lot overnight and appearently everything was cool after that.

My car also started bogging on the interstate once when it began raining moderately hard. That's why I have invested in finding another intake while I wait for my flywheel to get here. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Is everyone here as stupid as you? I hope not. He said water SPRAY which I am assuming he meant a fine mist of water. At least thats what logic tells me. Now we have you, who removed his inner fender wells, driving around with an AEM CAI ranting about how gay they are because it killed your car. First off, why the **** did you remove the inner fender lining? What kinda **** is that? You basically set yourself up for this one man.. I have an AEM with the fender linings still in and have had no problems for several years in all sorts of rain storms. Think this is just luck? I hardly think so.

Use your head a little.
Old 05-16-2004, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Had to leave it in the parking lot overnight and appearently everything was cool after that.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

y0 dog, if your car was hydrolocked you wouldnt have been able to start your car the next day. it would have still been hydrolocked until you removed the spark plugs, and cranked your engine.

and when i am talking about water spray, what i am speaking about is rain from the sky falling to the ground. water spray from the road comming off the tires during and after a rain storm. i have a 91 Si with a B16 and a AEM cai. i have no fender liner at all, and here in florida it rains at least 250 days a year. and in no way am i afraid of my engine being hydrolocked, until i have to drive my car thru a puddle where i know my filter will be submerged under water.
Old 05-16-2004, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 99 civic Si airbox w Spoon filter vs. AEM CAI??? whatcha think? (Huggy Bear)

first off i dont think u have to wory about hydrolocking, but o well....

second I have the Si airbox with a K&N panel filter with a spoon intake elbow and "custom" flexible intake piping from the bottom of the air box to the front of the car with no resonator. I had an AEM CAI and I was getting tired of sounding like the ricers here who only have an intake You can barely hear my setup and I noticed a good gain in seat of pants driving. (i did switch from a dirty CAI filter to a new clean panel though) DO IT YOU'LL LOVE IT!!
Old 05-16-2004, 09:41 AM
New User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: 99 civic Si airbox w Spoon filter vs. AEM CAI??? whatcha think? (ajjohnsonnc1)

Or you can run one of these. This way you can run the cone filter but keep it in the airbox and still have a "ram air" effect if you want to run a hose from bottom of the airbox to the front of the car. BTW, most air filters out there (K&N reg-sized filters, AEM, RSA, generic..... except for HKS) will fit inside of that box.
Old 05-16-2004, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

hey newman, does that have ducting running throught the well or would that be something that would need to be bought separate
Old 05-16-2004, 09:53 AM
New User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (pdiggitydogg)

It has ducting ran from the box (included), through the well, and is going to through the foglight openning.
Old 05-16-2004, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Newman)

AEM is know making intakes for hybrid cars, so you don't have to cut up an intake. I saw the catalog yesterday at my friends shop.
Old 05-16-2004, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Kidloco51)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kidloco51 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">AEM is know making intakes for hybrid cars, so you don't have to cut up an intake. I saw the catalog yesterday at my friends shop.</TD></TR></TABLE>

How does that solve his dilema? He's wondering if he should use a panel filter or keep the CAI. Fitment problems aren't the issue.

If you're worried about hydrolocking, just go with the panel filter, so you won't have to worry about it so much, or as mentioned, cut your AEM into a "filter on a stick" style intake. The difference in power isn't really that noticeable, but the power range probably will be. You won't have that midrange power "hump" that the CAI offers, but you'll most likely have better throttle response.

As stated, water spray won't hydrolock your motor, but a submersing the filter will.
Old 05-16-2004, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Please don't buy spoon air filter unless you want to JDM bling out your car. I'm sorry but i think it's just a ripoff.
Old 05-16-2004, 01:28 PM

Default Re: 99 civic Si airbox w Spoon filter vs. AEM CAI??? whatcha think? (Newman)

Newman...

By looking at that picture... What if I just took my old intake box and make it fit inside like urs but open the hole up by the front end of the cone and just make a "water shield"... Or would it be less beneficial and prevent more air from flowing in? Basically just put the old intake box under it so water can't splash up...
Old 05-16-2004, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDMCRXDelSol)

I think the spoon filter is way overpriced for the gains you will get. I like my setup on my sohc vtec, stock tube, spoon direct air pipe (cuts out resonator), stock box with k&n filter. A lot more responsive then the short ram intake I used to have.
Old 05-16-2004, 04:37 PM

Default Re: (97mini-me)

wat bout comptech ice box? compared 2 those two...?
Old 05-16-2004, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I do not have an inner fender lining on my passenger side due to a wreck, now i understand that that is my own stupidity to run a cai without one but one day i was on my way home and it started raining pretty hard and my engine began to bog really bad and eventually stalled out due to the water spray from my tire. This WOULD NOT have happened had i had fender lining so i wouldnt worry about hydrolocking. However just because my car stalled out doesnt mean it hydrolocked, it just means that it had a lack of air since there was too much water in the filter element and surrounding area, i thought hydrolocking was when your combustion chamber filled with water instead of air (could be wrong). All i did was pull over, let the filter drain and it started right up. That night i checked my oil and there was a tiny bit of white foam on the filler cap so i changed it the next day... no problems since.
Old 05-16-2004, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: 99 civic Si airbox w Spoon filter vs. AEM CAI??? whatcha think? (Dx2dR95)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dx2dR95 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I do not have an inner fender lining on my passenger side due to a wreck, now i understand that that is my own stupidity to run a cai without one but one day i was on my way home and it started raining pretty hard and my engine began to bog really bad and eventually stalled out due to the water spray from my tire. This WOULD NOT have happened had i had fender lining so i wouldnt worry about hydrolocking. However just because my car stalled out doesnt mean it hydrolocked, it just means that it had a lack of air since there was too much water in the filter element and surrounding area, i thought hydrolocking was when your combustion chamber filled with water instead of air (could be wrong). All i did was pull over, let the filter drain and it started right up. That night i checked my oil and there was a tiny bit of white foam on the filler cap so i changed it the next day... no problems since.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Buy a new fender liner and put it in there. They don't cost that much. Also, it WOULD be possible to fill the combustion chambers with water and then let the car sit over night and have the problem be "solved".. The water could very easily leak past tired rings and into the crank case.. Which is what could have happened in your case.
Old 05-16-2004, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 99 civic Si airbox w Spoon filter vs. AEM CAI??? whatcha think? (Hybrid93Eg)

Well i only let it sit like five minutes not overnight, i fixed the problem by buying a k/n drop in and putting an aluminum pipe from the im to the factory airbox and removing all the baffling and other bs. Feels the same as the aem on the butt dyno.

Quick Reply: 99 civic Si airbox w Spoon filter vs. AEM CAI??? whatcha think?