Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

99 Civic sedan -- Is stock alarm sensitive/loud enough to keep away thieves?

Old 03-12-2012, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Civic sedan -- Is stock alarm sensitive/loud enough to keep away thieves?

I recently bought a 99 ex sedan. Im not modding it at all just a daily driver. I used to have a ek coupe with coils and that got stolen from my driveway. My question is, How is the factory alarm on my ex civic? Is it sensitive/loud enough to keep away thieves. i know if they want the car, they'll take it. But breaking into the car, hows the stock alarm hold up? Thanks!
Old 03-12-2012, 06:05 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: 99 Civic sedan -- Is stock alarm sensitive/loud enough to keep away thieves?

Put it this way. It's not one of the most stolen cars out there for nothing.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 99 Civic sedan -- Is stock alarm sensitive/loud enough to keep away thieves?

I would get an aftermarket alarm (Viper is my preference) and Lo-Jack if you really want to make sure.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a big fan of viper. I have a viper with the optional proximity sensor so it warns people when they get close and goes off if they put their face next to the window. This alone will get rid of most people just trying to break into your car to steal something. But if someone really wants the car, they're get it. The only thing an alarm will do is slow them down and draw attention. If it's in your driveway and it goes off, you might hear it and get out there in time to chase them off.

I'm planning on getting the electronic tilt sensor, backup battery, and interior siren a little later.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

In a word. No. It is not very sensitive at all. I believe it only works if the car door is opened without the keyless entry or key. They will just break the window and go in without opening the door.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:56 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I can get into my step sister's factory alarm equipped EJ1, start it, and pull out without the key and without damaging anything, in less than 10 minutes, and I suck at it.

No, the factory unit isn't going to do a thing for your car.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to have a "good" alarm system PROFESSIONALLY installed. Meaning not having it tucked under the dash where anyone can rip it out. You can have a $2,500 alarm system and it's useless if it's where anyone can reach it and take it apart/hack it.

Secondly you need motion sensors for front, center, rear of the car. Duel or even 3 sirens. Back up battery so incase they pop the hood and cut the battery cable the sirens will still go off. Have a siren installed inside the car as well.

Hood and trunk pins. Fuel cut switch. Autolock. The more you layer the security the harder it is for them to steal it and they give up if they can't get it fast. Also the wheel boot is good to avoid it being towed. In the end, if they want it they will get it.

Still think the factory alarm is good?
Old 03-12-2012, 10:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I didn't consider the factory alarm on my 1996 Ford Mustang as anything more than a convenient way to lock/unlock my doors.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:24 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The stock alarm is about as good as keeping thieves out of your car as a screen door is at keeping thieves out of your house.

+1 for viper. Love mine, can't wait to upgrade to a 3-mile range unit,
Old 03-13-2012, 06:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Add a GPS tracking unit as another layer to it if you want to keep the factory alarm system. Otherwise you should know it's just a matter of time.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:42 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bankonyourself
Add a GPS tracking unit as another layer to it if you want to keep the factory alarm system. Otherwise you should know it's just a matter of time.
Who on earth wants to keep the factory alarm?

And relying on GPS is only a reasonable means of finding your gutted/stripped car a few days later.

Better to invest that money in further securing the car.

Tilt sensors, back up battery, stealth installation, hiding the hood release cable, relocating the Battery, etc.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

stock alarm doesnt do much... it only goes of if somebody opens the door...other then that its just a keyless sytem....upgrade to a viper,python,hornet(there all made buy same company DEI)
Old 03-13-2012, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ah sheeit. Alright thanks for all the answers! I had a nice 2 way alarm on my old miata, thinking of doing that again. I was already looking into relocating hoodrelease. I like the backup battery idea/fuelcut/boot. The back up battery, would i just wire it from the front like im relocating my battery someplace else? or is there another way. Also how is the fuelcut wired? From the fuelpump fuse? or From the pump itself? I'm not modding this honda but just want it somewhat theftproof since my old one got stolen
Old 03-13-2012, 11:41 AM
Trial User

If u really want to save ur car make sure u have full coverage insurance too!!
Old 03-13-2012, 02:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

x2 to all of the above. I just had a theft attempt on my EG. Viper alarm never went off because they popped the hood from the outside and the hood wasn't pinned for the alarm. The siren was in plain sight, so guess what happened? Yep, siren cut and ripped out. Then they got in the car, trashed the ignition trying to get it started. The Viper starter kill slowed them down, but it was the fuel kill that STOPPED them. I had enough layers to stop these guys, but better-prepared thieves would have gotten the car. In the end, I have a trashed ignition, trashed JDM door visor, trashed alarm siren, and a stolen wheel lock. Everything else intact. I was lucky.

Next rev: hood pins for the alarm. Re-routed hood release cable. Blocked off hood latch. Backup battery and alarm hidden so they can't get to it. Dummy siren in the hood just in case they are able to get in the hood again.

And yes, FULL COVERAGE is a great idea, and if you want to get anywhere close to what the car is worth, make sure you either get an appraisal if you mod it, or at least go with a company like State Farm that pays what the going price is for the car in your local area rather than the pathetic KBB value. I have a friend that got 8K for his stock DC Integra after it was recovered from theft.

fm
Old 03-13-2012, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Insurance is no problem with my cars. Im taking all of these into consideration also! I cant find any good writeups for an EK fuelcutoff switch. Any ideas? Im not leaking the precautions Im taking for this, Just soaking them all in
Old 03-13-2012, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

he back up battery, would i just wire it from the front like im relocating my battery someplace else?
You put the backup battery system inline with the alarm's +12V power. The backup battery module also provide a trigger output for the alarm (activates alarm in the event the car's battery is disconnected).

Generally placed near the brain but doesn't have to be.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Axatax
You put the backup battery system inline with the alarm's +12V power. The backup battery module also provide a trigger output for the alarm (activates alarm in the event the car's battery is disconnected).

Generally placed near the brain but doesn't have to be.
So run wire from alternator to 2nd battery for power, ground in trunk, and run the 12v alarm+ to the + on 2nd battery?
Old 03-13-2012, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So run wire from alternator to 2nd battery for power, ground in trunk, and run the 12v alarm+ to the + on 2nd battery?
This will certainly work, but most ppl. use the DEI 520T (or equivilent) battery backup "system" which has a seperate charge controller and backup battery.

The controller provides a pulsed charge so can handle battery chemistries other than lead-acid and also has a trigger output. Only beef with the DEI unit is the included battery is trash (the electronics are fine).

I would use the DEI controller with something like a 4AH+ residential alarm battery. I use a 7AH battery and the 520T has no problem maintaining a charge.

Check the stickies in the electronics/security forum - there is a thread specifically about the 520T and aftermarket batteries.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Awesome. Thanks!
Old 03-13-2012, 11:00 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For fuel cutoff switches, the easiest thing to do is to find the power line for your fuel pump and put a switch directly on the line. That will let you hide it anywhere from your driver's seat, all the way to back behind and/or under the rear seats.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah most factory alarms even today do have shock sensors. fet a good alarm with a pager so you dont have to be in range to hear it but can still know its going off. have that professionally put in, then go in youself and put a few kill switches in in different locations that only you know and that turn different things off. i even have a wheel boot that i ordered for about $100 that i out on at night.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Awesome, Where did you order that boot at?