Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

'99 Civic Rough Cold Starts / Occasional Overheating

Old 09-17-2009, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '99 Civic Rough Cold Starts / Occasional Overheating

I have a '99 Civic DX, 5-speed, and for the last couple months I've been having trouble with cold starts. The engine turns over fine and fires, but it starts really rough and sounds like it's running on 2 or 3 cylinders. Many times it dies and I have to start it again. Giving it gas helps a little, but the rough running becomes even more pronounced, like it's missing a cylinder or two. After running rough for about 5 or 10 seconds, it suddenly recovers and runs smoothly from then on. After it starts running, the engine idle does seem to me to be a bit low for a cold start, but it is summer and I can't really tell what it should be. Warm starts are fine. I've tried changing the plugs and wires, and cleaned the cap and rotor (since they are relatively new), with no change. This problem is an annoyance for now, but I fear that come winter, I will have even more trouble starting in the frigid mornings.

I also am having a possibly unrelated problem with the engine overheating on this car. This also happens only on cold starts, and only occasionally (maybe twice in a week). After a cold, difficult start, I'll be driving down the road for about 5 minutes, and the temperature gauge will start rising past normal. I turn on the heat inside the car, and only cold air blows out. I'll be driving at normal or highway speeds, with the engine running perfectly smoothly, mind you, and the temperature gauge will continue to slowly climb to almost the red, when suddenly it drops down to normal, and at the same time, I'll start to get heat through the vents, and everything is fine after that. After this happens, I need to add about a cup or two of coolant to top off the radiator. I'm not sure if this is related to the rough starting issue, but it may have started around the same time. Mind you, I am careful not to peg the temperature gauge at the red. I'm not sure how safe it is to run the engine with the temperature close to the red, but this has been happening for at least a couple months, once or twice a week, and each time, the temp dropped to normal before it got to the red. I've tried flushing the cooling system several times (flushed the block, heater core, and radiator separately) with no sign of obstruction or clogging. I also replaced the thermostat, and checked the compression of the cylinders (all 4 are around 140psi).

I would appreciate any ideas on what I should check next.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:08 AM
I'm not Rick!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: '99 Civic Rough Cold Starts / Occasional Overheating

head gasket?
140 seems kinda low
how many miles on that beast?
Old 09-17-2009, 10:12 AM

your problem with overheating sounds like a sticking thremostat
Old 09-18-2009, 12:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

First i believe we should focus on where the coolant is going. Is it leaking external or internal? Put it on a dry surface and start it up let it idle by itself from cold to warm. Cooling fan cycle atleast twice? Now is hot heat coming out the vents! Feel the lower radiator hose it should be hot but slightly cooler than the top hose. How long did it take to cycle the fans twice? Keep us posted