Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

99 civic radio replacement issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 12:49 PM
v8s
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 civic radio replacement issues

After looking at civics, accords and camrys, we picked up a 99 civic for my daughter. One owner, 160K, struts/shocks about 20k ago, new timing belt/water pump etc., super clean mechanically. Body...eh.

Anyway, she can't survive without listening to crap "music" from her ipod, so a radio swap is needed. I have read references to issues created in some years of Hondas when the OEM tunebox is replaced. Somehow other functions are tied into the radio harness or some such. Anybody have any knowledge of this? For what it's worth, it's a basic model--no power crap to go wrong down the line. Manual windows/locks/seats/mirrors.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: 99 civic radio replacement issues

Why not just get her an iPod adapter for her stock radio? I've got one and it works great. Plus it looks stock so you won't have some clown trying to break in the steal a nice stereo.

Otherwise, if she must have a new stereo, it shouldn't be a big deal. Any auto stereo shop should be able to outfit you with a stereo and jumper harness so that it's plug and play. On my EG, the only other thing that shares the same fuse as the stereo is the cigarette lighter. Not sure on a 99, but I suspect it's the same.

fm
Old 07-09-2010, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i literally just got done changing the cd player in my 99 civic ex about 10 minutes ago. I bought a JVC headunit which has a USB port to hook in your ipod and you can either control the ipod through the head unit or through your ipod. It sounds great and was an easy install once you get the stock unit out (which is kind of a pain just because you have to remove a lot of the dashboard). It came with a wiring harness which is basically plug and play. Super easy, straight forward stuff. Havent had any issues so far. hope this helps
Old 07-09-2010, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by v8s
After looking at civics, accords and camrys, we picked up a 99 civic for my daughter. One owner, 160K, struts/shocks about 20k ago, new timing belt/water pump etc., super clean mechanically. Body...eh.

Anyway, she can't survive without listening to crap "music" from her ipod, so a radio swap is needed. I have read references to issues created in some years of Hondas when the OEM tunebox is replaced. Somehow other functions are tied into the radio harness or some such. Anybody have any knowledge of this? For what it's worth, it's a basic model--no power crap to go wrong down the line. Manual windows/locks/seats/mirrors.
The 96-98 civic's are the ones you would have heard have issues. The issue is te power door lock module is built into the radio headunit and needs to remain powered up inside the vehicle. Its usually tucked uder the dash and out of site. It is not a difficult thing to do, you just have to get (or make) an adapter.

You will not have any issues in your daughters 99 civic. You will need a conversion harness for the plug, but you can easily get that from the place you buy the new headunit.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yep, only "problem" is all the dash that has to come out.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:36 AM
v8s
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks, folks. Without the power seats/locks/windows, I didn't think it would be an issue but wanted to verify it.

"It sounds great and was an easy install once you get the stock unit out (which is kind of a pain just because you have to remove a lot of the dashboard)."--Chubby. The last radio I actually did myself still had the two shafts through the dashboard and a simple strap on the back. And enough room to actually extend your arms. None of this crap where they build the car around the radio... I'm too old to be crawling around under a dash these days...
Old 07-10-2010, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by v8s
...None of this crap where they build the car around the radio... I'm too old to be crawling around under a dash these days...
LOL! I thought the same thing a year ago. Since then, I've had the climate control and radio out several times. And I've swapped the entire interior twice.

fm