Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

99 Civic Radiator Replacement - Auto Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Civic Radiator Replacement - Auto Transmission

I am about to replace a radiator for the first time.

What's the best way to deal with the automatic transmission hoses leading into the radiator?

Can they be disconnected without first removing the plastic cover from the bottom of the car?

Thanks
Old 10-21-2013, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 99 Civic Radiator Replacement - Auto Transmission

Originally Posted by alpinegroove
I am about to replace a radiator for the first time.

What's the best way to deal with the automatic transmission hoses leading into the radiator?

Can they be disconnected without first removing the plastic cover from the bottom of the car?

Thanks
Last time I did a replacement I pulled the rubber lines from the metal ones where they wrap over the tranny. You can usually reach down and pull them. Make sure you plug the lines or they will leak fluid. Then pull the radiator straight up, reattach lines to radiator fittings, install and connect rubber lines to hard lines...
Old 10-21-2013, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by pityocamptes
Last time I did a replacement I pulled the rubber lines from the metal ones where they wrap over the tranny.
Would I have to plug the metal lines then? Wouldn't fluid be coming out of there?
Old 10-21-2013, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, both. Keeps tranny fluid from coming out the rubber hoses that connect to the cooler, and the metal lines as well... you could always take a couple of 8" or so rubber hoses that will fit the metal lines and connect them and arc them up so fluid doesn't leak out...
Old 10-21-2013, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Normally I take one from the radiator and one from the transmission, and looped the one leaved on the tranny to the other pipe to avoid fluid loss.

put an oil change tray under the car. Then put the hose in the new Rad. install the rad take the looped hose and connect it back to Rad.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What is the advantage of taking one off the metal pipe and leaving the other on instead of taking both off the transmission pipes?
Old 10-21-2013, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well is all convenience you not have to find bolts or caps to plug the lines to prevent fluid loss. Plus you can move the car if you needed.

I work on a shop and we do this all the time, if we have to wait for the new rad we moved the cars with the hose looped.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

How are the hoses coming from the transmission cooler lines attached to the radiator? Looking from above, it doesn't look like a clamp.

Also, will I have to replace any transmission cooling liquid after replacing the radiator?
Old 10-23-2013, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't recall clamps on them, I believe they are just pushed on pretty tight, with the metal fittings having rolled barbs at the end. If its been a while since you flushed your tranny fluid I would drain the tranny while your doing the rad. Honda tranny fluid isn't that much...
Old 10-23-2013, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you. The transmission fluid was replaced about a month ago...
I'll know more when I remove the radiator in a few hours...
Old 10-23-2013, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you can't get them off, you might consider taking a sharp razor and cutting the rubber hose length wise along where it fits over the metal tube. Just make sure you do not score the metal tube by cutting too deep. This would be the easiest method if time and heat have made them hard to remove. Then just pick up a couple feet or whatever needed of tranny line at local auto parts store and replace. Make sure new line is the same ID (inner diameter) as the old line...
Old 10-23-2013, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you. The transmission fluid was replaced about a month ago...
I'll know more when I remove the radiator in a few hours...

Make sure you use the same fluid to top off, don't mix fluids...
Old 10-23-2013, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, I was wondering about removing those hoses.

Are these generic hoses? Do auto parts stores typically carry ones of different IDs?

The fluid was replaced at a shop, so I don't know what they used...

If I only lose a minimal amount when removing the hoses, will I still have to add more fluid?
Old 10-23-2013, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, I was wondering about removing those hoses.

Are these generic hoses? Do auto parts stores typically carry ones of different IDs?

The fluid was replaced at a shop, so I don't know what they used...

If I only lose a minimal amount when removing the hoses, will I still have to add more fluid?
Yes, you will have to add some fluid. You will lose fluid that is in the radiator... unless you pull one of the lines from the radiator and let it drain into a CLEAN container, and reuse (I'm not big into reusing fluids, but as long as its a clean container you should have no issues). Or, call the shop and ask them what they used when they changed out your tranny fluid and go pick up a quart?
Either way, just make sure when you are done that the fluid levels are within specs... maybe someone can chime in the proper method to check the fluid, can't remember as its been a while and I don't have my shop manual here with me...

Yes, auto shops will have different rubber tranny lines. You need to make sure that the rubber is transmission fluid rated and has the same inner diameter as OEM. Usually you can do this by cutting about 1.5" off the end of the old hose (thus cutting off the ends that were misformed from being pushed onto the metal line rolled barbs). So cutting enough off the end will give you the true inner diameter size to compare with what they have at the store. If they have something slightly smaller (standard vs metric) use that - will be a little tougher to push on, but a tight fit is better than loose, bigger might mean that the rubber line comes off the metal line and not a good fit.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If I don't have a way to reuse the fluid, how should I deal with the fact that I don't know which brand the shop used when doing the flush? Do shops usually use fluids that are available at stores?
Old 10-23-2013, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If I don't have a way to reuse the fluid, how should I deal with the fact that I don't know which brand the shop used when doing the flush? Do shops usually use fluids that are available at stores?

Most shops do use brands sold at parts stores - you could always call them and explain that you are swapping the radiator and recently had your car in for trqanny service, and due to potential fluid loss, you would like to know what brand they used - hell if its not too far you could always swing by and pick up a quart or have them check the level and add fluid? Personally, for the piece of mind, and nowing that Honda fluids are made for their trannys, etc. I might just replace with Honda tranny fluid. I've used after market fluids before in a rack and pinion (power steering) and within a short time the seals blew. Read that non Honda fluids may not be manufactured to meet Honda standards, etc. Have been using Honda fluids for everything (except radiator and engine oil), and have not had anymore issues... just my 2 cents...
Old 10-23-2013, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for all the info.

The transmission fluid flush was done at Firestone. I doubt they used Honda fluid, but I will try to find out...

Can the transmission fluid be poured in through the dipstick hole?
Old 10-23-2013, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes. That is where you would fill it. Should be a yellow handled dip stick on the passenger side (near battery tray) on the rear of the tranny...
Old 10-23-2013, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

And one last question: would you replace the thermostat and thermoswitch at this opportunity as well?

I don't know if they have ever been replaced.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I believe that those are on the back side of the engine, near the intake manifold. How many miles on your car? I recently did mine the other day, but my 98 only has 93K on it. Wouldn't hurt to do so. My fan switch crapped out and I started having heating issues. Fairly easy to replace. Just make sure you remember to bolt down the ground wire that is on the thermo housing after you take it apart and reassemble...
Old 10-23-2013, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

99 with 107K.

No overheating issues.

I am thinking that since the coolant will be drained and the hose off, it would be a good opportunity, but since I have never done any of this work, this just adds one more variable...
Old 10-23-2013, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Its not too bad to replace. Youtube is great for small clips on how to fix stuff. Or you can post here... well no better time than to start now... fixing your own car can save you money... and even if you can do the work, but don't have the time (as was a case for me recently) and have to take it in, you can at least know what you are talking about so that the shop doesn't take advantage of you...

This is slightly different in design, but pretty much the same across hondas... not too bad... make sure you install the thermostat in correctly along with the seal. Thermo and seal only go a certain way and the seal fits over the thermo lip...

Old 10-23-2013, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You may also want to think about replacing the lower and upper rad hoses. After time they get soft and the ends (inner hose) get crap on them, they may not reseal after them taking off...
Old 10-23-2013, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It doesn't look hard. I am just not sue how the rest of the radiator replacement will go since I have never done that either.

I have purchased the hoses and plan to replace them.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Not hard at all. You might want to either pick up a service manual, I know you can find a digital copy online, I think they have a link here in the FAQ. Or pick up a generic one at a parts store. Just take your time, maybe take pics before and while your pulling things apart and label where they go as a reference for reinstalling...

Quick Reply: 99 Civic Radiator Replacement - Auto Transmission