Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

99 Civic low idle Smoking A/C compressor

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Civic low idle Smoking A/C compressor

Hey there guys, my baby momma has a 99 Civic with 138k and its been about a month or so but the car has really really low idle. It DIDN'T shake alot, until today.

We got out of work and I went to start the car and the car started and died immediately. It wouldn't start for at least 20 mins until I decided to move it over to a different parking space when it idled ok and actually stayed running...

While I was looking around the engine compartment, I had her start the car and there was a smoke coming from the crank pulley area. At first I thought it was the power steering cause it make this weird grinding noise.. I thought it has spun a bearing but it didn't.

Later I narrowed it down and verified that it indeed was coming from the A/C compressor.

A/c does not work from what she tells me and no, I turned it on and just warm air comes out..

She bought a can of R134 or whatever it is, but I haven't used it until I can diagnose it is indeed a bad A/c Compressor.

I will try and get a vid, but the car idles really low and sometimes dies. Its rare , but she told me sometimes it dies while she's driving.

Battery is good, so don't tell me its the battery nor is there any smoke coming from that area.

I am about to change the oil, so please any suggestions are welcome and if you want me to verify something, let me know!!!

Thanks guys, Jose..

Ps...the A/c compressor belt moves and all, but the outer part doesn't move... it will move every once in a while but not much...

Also, when the fan turns on, the smoke goes away, as soon as it turns off, the ac compressor starts to smoke once more...

This is her daily driver and I need it to be in top shape thanks guys!!

PSS, anyone near Chicago HEights, IL??? OR around the chicago area that can lend a hand, please pm me or something. Will pay for gas and whatever!!
Old 07-19-2009, 04:35 PM

Default Re: 99 Civic low idle Smoking A/C compressor

Sounds like the clutch inside the a/c compressor might be hanging up. If it is, that could be the smoke, is there a burning smell along with it? Also if the clutch isnt disengaging fully, that could cause your idle to be a little low. Thats just off the top of my head from what you described.
Old 07-19-2009, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ya the outside pulley on the compressor doesnt move at all, just sometimes. That's where the smoke is coming from.

And yes their is a burning smell to it.. like belt, rubber smell..kinda like an clutch smell when you dragging on it haha
Old 07-23-2009, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

WEll small update, car doesn't make that grinding noise anymore. I sprayed down the belts with some lubricant and it went away..

But I'm still concerned about that compressor... Junkyard here I come!

Can anyone suggest why there is such a low idle though?

I've double checked every vacuum hose, everything I can possibly think of..