Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

99 Civic Issues

Old 12-30-2013, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Civic Issues

I have a 1999 Civic EX; awesome car. I had the check engine light come on a few weeks ago when the car was misfiring. I changed the plugs and wires, but the code came back. I pulled the cap and found that the set screw was missing. I found the set screw it had fallen out, no clue how, into the plastic casing and was jammed in the plastic casing and up against the rotor, which has caused some plastic to be shaved away from the rotor, but not doing any damage do it. I cleaned the cap and rotor up, put everything back together and took it for a spin around the block. Ran like a champ, check engine light cleared. 5 hrs later I went out to start it and it wouldn't start. I left if there over night and when I started it the next morning, it started right up. I turned it on and off 3 times and it had no issues. I did not take it for a drive. The car has been setting for 3 days, I went out started it, started right up and left it to warm up, when I returned it had shut off and now will not start. It acts like it wants to start, but wont ignite. I get some popping, like a backfire, but very minor. I have not pulled the cap and rotor since I did the first time. I marked the cap before I pulled it so it went back on the exact same way, I know the wires are set in the correct order. I know the not starting and dying while running are tied together, just not sure what would be causing it? Any ideas from the group on what I need to look into?

I just want to add the car leaks no oil and has ran like its brand new off the factory floor until just a few weeks ago when the misfire code appeared. Never had ignition problems or backfiring problems etc. This is the first issue I have ever had with the Honda. Has 160k mile

Last edited by Ardee99; 12-30-2013 at 03:14 PM. Reason: add more information
Old 12-31-2013, 07:44 AM
I'm not Rick!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: 99 Civic Issues

be more specific in topic.
use enter key.

get new dizzy cap and rotor $20 from Azone
Old 01-02-2014, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 99 Civic Issues

OK its currently my weekend so I have more detail....

The car has been setting for 2 days, It started right up. Idle was about 1500rpm (smooth idle) until it reached temp on the thermostat which took about 10-15 minutes, the dropped to 800rpm (smooth idle still)

After idling at 800rpm for 5 minutes the idle began to become rough dropping to 300rpm then the car would adjust and it would go back to 800rpm this went on for another 5 minutes and then the car just died. Thermostat did not rise in temp, so it did not appear to over heat.

I attempted to start the car right away but it would not start. I let it set for 2 hours tried to start, no start. Tried again after 4 hours no start.

Whatever the issue is seems to only be happening when the car is warm or at temp. Once the car has set long enough and cooled all the way down it starts right up.

As stated above I have only replaced the plugs and wires and found the set screw for the rotor to haven fallen out. I replaced the set screw and the check engine light went away. There is currently no check engine light on.

Any suggestions please post them, I need the car to travel to and from work