Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

99 civic hx turboed...just pulled dipstick and there is white pasty crap on it

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 civic hx turboed...just pulled dipstick and there is white pasty crap on it

ok, 99 civic hx turboed.... well i just pulled my dipstick and there is this white pasty crap on it... and it tries to overheat, but from what i seen most people with this same problem have no heat comin to the car, well i still do... once i turn the heat on it goes down to normal temp... i normally drive not even a mile a day... cause work is just right down the street... from my past experience if it was a blown head gasket, there would be no hope to get the temp back to operating temp.... im lost lol...
Old 02-12-2011, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: something odd is goin on... need answers quick

most likely a blown headgasket remove your radiator cap and turn on the engine and see if you have bubbles blowing out of the radiator
Old 02-12-2011, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 99civichx
ok, 99 civic hx turboed.... well i just pulled my dipstick and there is this white pasty crap on it... and it tries to overheat, but from what i seen most people with this same problem have no heat comin to the car, well i still do... once i turn the heat on it goes down to normal temp... i normally drive not even a mile a day... cause work is just right down the street... from my past experience if it was a blown head gasket, there would be no hope to get the temp back to operating temp.... im lost lol...
You could have a slow head gasket leak, or if its a water cooled turbo it could be leaking coolant into the oil galley of the turbo then circulating it back into the engine. But I honestly dont know anything about turboed Hondas. I am not sure if they water cool turbos or not.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Guessing his turbo is oil cooled since most are. Probably just a head gasket going bad slowly like has already been mentioned.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yep HG for sure, I would stop driving it before you warp the head...
Old 02-12-2011, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok, hang on ill do the raditator cap deal real quick... be back in a couple min...
Old 02-12-2011, 09:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes its oil cooled.... t3/t4 turbo... anyways... hahaha, u know what else dont work either.... no antifreeze in the radiator... god i feel so damn stupid... im prolly gonna get some here in a few then ill tell yal somethin...
Old 02-12-2011, 09:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im guessin thats a major problem correct...
Old 02-13-2011, 12:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im guessin thats a major problem correct...
That would be a party-foul actually.

Quoted your post in my sig....hope thats alright. It made my day.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Haha. That's good stuff.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Re: 99 civic hx turboed...just pulled dipstick and there is white pasty crap on it

Thread titles MUST be subject specific so that members browsing topics can easily understand the tech problem without reading the post:

https://honda-tech.com/forums/showpo...12&postcount=1

Please familiarize yourself with the stickies at the top.

Title edited.
----------------------------

The head gasket is almost certainly blown.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EFPhilly
That would be a party-foul actually.

Quoted your post in my sig....hope thats alright. It made my day.
lol... idc at least i made someone laugh today lol... but i still havent went to go get some antifreeze.... i was tired as hell from work and just woke up... im bout to go get some now lol.... still makes me mad that happened... but, HOPEFULLY thats the only problem and its not the head gasket or somethin worse... im gonna put some in and try and check for cracks and leaks
Old 02-13-2011, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 99 civic hx turboed...just pulled dipstick and there is white pasty crap on it

Theres probably no antifreeze because you've been driving it so long with a blown head gasket...
Old 02-13-2011, 08:23 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by SpoonfedCivic
Yep HG for sure, I would stop driving it before you warp the head...
At this point i'd be a little more concerned with spinning a bearing from all that coolant in the bottom end.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94EG8
At this point i'd be a little more concerned with spinning a bearing from all that coolant in the bottom end.
That is what I was going to say...I would be worrying about hydro-locking (think that is what it is called) the engine.

And I would agree with two above that the coolant has leaked into the oil.

Just hope you head has not had this before, or they wont be able to shave it if it is out-of-round.

Usually when my car starts overheating (which it doesnt) I would check the radiator fluid after letting it cool down. We all prolly assumed that you did this by your first post; thus, it was striking to see that you had no coolant. MADE MY WEEK, not just my day! Best of luck chief. I have seen Honda's go through much worse.

Last week, some guy brought a new GSR he had got two days before. Guess the guy started cracking vtec all the time and never checked the oil. Owner had left oil low and the car was smoking a little, so it ended up with no oil. Blew a baby GSR with less than 100,000 miles in a bone stock GSR integra (not just a swapped GSR). I was like ohhhh myyyyyy goddd....really???
Old 02-14-2011, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

na everythin is back to normal... all the white crap is gone from the dipstick and from the oil cap and im runnin at normal temp again
Old 02-14-2011, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

na everythin is back to normal... all the white crap is gone from the dipstick and from the oil cap and im runnin at normal temp again
Sweeet! Good news to hear.

Since that is solved ill share the worse overheating I have seen with my eyes:
Buddy with a fully built bored stroked b16 turbo pushing ~400 hp started overheating. The guy was trying to drive it back to his house by adding coolant and going. At one point it was overheating so bad and gushing coolant out that the car died. 15 minutes of cranking the engine did not work so he tried another 5 minutes. At the end of five the car started and he said, "Im not letting my foot off the gas til I get home." Went all the way back to his house boosting like a MotherF%^&*& and gushing stuff everywhere. The next day after the car was there, took the head off, took it to the machine shop and nothing was wrong with it!!!!! I said,"HOW?!?!?!?!?"
Old 02-14-2011, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

who the hell know lol.. well its still overheatin now but there is still no white crap on the dipstick or on the oil cap.... no water or white smoke from the exhaust... i smell no antifreeze... thermostat maybe???
Old 02-14-2011, 08:38 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 92shade
most likely a blown headgasket remove your radiator cap and turn on the engine and see if you have bubbles blowing out of the radiator
An airlock can also cause bubbles out of the radiator cap. It doesn't mean anything is broken for sure. It could just mean it needs the air worked out and more coolant added.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i dont have any bubbles either i checked that
Old 02-14-2011, 10:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i dont have any bubbles either i checked that
start the car, allow to get to about halfway, then feel the lower hose and the upper hose. Both should be the same temperature and should be very hott! If the top is hot, and the bottom is cold....BAD thermostat
Old 02-14-2011, 10:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok... what bout pressure i heard if the hose really hard to squeeze then its a bad thermostat too...
Old 02-14-2011, 11:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon6 Re: 99 civic hx turboed...just pulled dipstick and there is white pasty crap on it

new to this sight but been doin hondas for a while n sometimes...yes a bad thermostat can lead to high hose pressure...i.e not bein able to squeeze it but yea as the other guy said hoses are a safe bet to check for temp n pressure
Old 02-15-2011, 02:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

alright
Old 02-15-2011, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Pressure would increase of course, just as if you turn the nozzle on a garden hose off, pressure increases in the hose. but I would not recommend grabbing your hot hose and and trying to feel for pressure, as you will burn you hand.

Just feel the hoses hot and cold and dont worry about the pressure...okay? The hot/cold test is usually fool-proof

Quick Reply: 99 civic hx turboed...just pulled dipstick and there is white pasty crap on it