Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

99 Civic EX: SRS light not coming on AT ALL after replacing other cluster bulbs.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 06:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Civic EX: SRS light not coming on AT ALL after replacing other cluster bulbs.

Hello, I bought my 99 Civic EX a few weeks ago from a dealership. The SRS light was on continuously and had been on for who knows how long since it was a trade-in. The salesman said they didn't know why it was on.

My boyfriend and I took the car to his friend's shop and hooked it up to his diagnostic computer. We couldn't get the car to throw a code so the computer couldn't tell us anything.

Yesterday I took out the dash (carefully) and replaced 1 or 2 of the illumination bulbs that were out behind the fuel and temp gauges. The car was off and the key out while I did this and nothing was forced. Now when I turn the car on the SRS light is the only one that DOESN'T come on at all!

Since then I've checked the fuse (fine), disconnected the battery (nothing changed), and taken the cluster back out to check it again.

Code manuals say if the bulb doesn't come on at all it's a "Faulty SRS Indicator Circuit." But I can't find anything online on how to fix this. Could the SRS led bulb be blown, will I have to buy another cluster, and how could replacing those bulbs mess up the SRS light when it can't even be reached from where the other bulbs are?
Old 08-01-2012, 06:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Re: 99 Civic EX: SRS light not coming on AT ALL after replacing other cluster bulbs.

The bulb could be blown. Swap the SRS bulb with a known good bulb to check.

If the bulb is good, make sure it makes good contact with the circuit board and verify that it gets battery voltage.

Make sure the SRS connector at the rear of the cluster is fully seated.

When you get the SRS light working again, pull the SRS codes using the method described in the Codes sticky.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 99 Civic EX: SRS light not coming on AT ALL after replacing other cluster bulbs.

Thanks for the response. I can't seem to find info anywhere online but is the SRS light an actual removable bulb that twists out like the rest or an led bulb that will require soldering? Also does anyone have any diagrams or instructions on how to get to the bulb.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You're right. My mistake. The SRS light is on the printed circuit board.

It gets voltage on the yellow wire at F5 in the SRS cluster connector.

It gets ground on the black wire at F3 in the SRS cluster connector.

Start by checking those.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for all your help! My SRS light is now back on (which is actually a good thing.)

Turns out the SRS bulb was just blown. After being on for so long the filament was weakened and it just broke from the vibrations of me taking out the cluster the first time. Fortunately the bulb is not an led it's the same as the small bulbs with the black bases that twist into place used for the other warning lights (CEL, low fuel, trunk open, etc.) it's just hidden in a tricky spot under the tach face. Mine say Toshiba V-2 on them.

I did have one issue. the tachometer needle came out smoothly when i was taking the face off but upon putting it back the tach doesn't read like it's supposed to . But I guess I'd rather have that broken then not be able to troubleshoot my SRS system.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 636lover
Fortunately the bulb is not an led it's the same as the small bulbs with the black bases that twist into place used for the other warning lights (CEL, low fuel, trunk open, etc.) it's just hidden in a tricky spot under the tach face. Mine say Toshiba V-2 on them.
Good to know. What SRS codes did you recover?
Old 08-02-2012, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The only code being thrown is 1-1 "Open in driver's airbag inflator". Trying to find what steps to take next about it.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

For anyone else who might stumble across this post looking for a solution.

My SRS code is finally cleared! My boyfriend and I disconnected the battery and removed the driver's airbag completely last night.

We were originally checking for any visible problems like loose wires, etc but when we hooked everything back up and erased the code the SRS light went off! Apparently the plug had just wiggled loose after all these years. I was thisclose to ordering one on ebay. I can't imagine what the stealership would have charged to "fix" that

Also my tachometer needle is back to reading correctly since I (stupidly) popped it off to change the SRS bulb. Maybe having the battery disconnected for so long "reset" the gauge. Driven 25-30 miles today already and both the light and needle are still fine.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

By any chance do you know what bulb type it is for the SRS indicator, casue my bulb was removed from a dumb previous owner cause he didn't know how to bypass the SRS system.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

darkmentality, don't know the exact name or part number for the bulb (if you were going to order one or something like that) but like I said above the SRS bulb and base is the EXACT same one used for the other indicator lights.

Cheapest way is to go to a salvage yard (I went to Pull-A-Part) and pull a whole bunch of those bulbs + the bases out of a compatible car to use.
Old 02-18-2020, 04:35 PM
Trial User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know why I'm having such a hard time trying to find where the SRS Bulb goes it was taken out I see where it's supposed to go I just don't know how to replace it I can't find one single video on it only on how to reset the thing but I need to find a way to put the bulb in so I can pull a code. this car has officially drove me nuts I need to get this bulb in so I can pull the code to get this thing inspected please help me
Old 02-18-2020, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 328 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by Chochx11
I don't know why I'm having such a hard time trying to find where the SRS Bulb goes it was taken out I see where it's supposed to go I just don't know how to replace it I can't find one single video on it only on how to reset the thing but I need to find a way to put the bulb in so I can pull a code. this car has officially drove me nuts I need to get this bulb in so I can pull the code to get this thing inspected please help me
What car do you have?
Old 02-18-2020, 04:50 PM
Trial User

95 Honda Civic ex .. I'm literally losing my **** lol I feel so stupid.
Old 02-18-2020, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Remove the SRS assembly in the cluster. The bulb should be inside the assembly.

Old 02-19-2020, 12:10 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by muellersfan
Remove the SRS assembly in the cluster. The bulb should be inside the assembly.

Thank you so much.. found it got it in.. Reading as 5-1. The cord under the seats have been cut from the seat. Will that cause it to read bad?
The following users liked this post:
Old 02-20-2020, 11:46 AM
Trial User

Do you know if there should be a connection under the passenger seat for the air bag?
Old 02-20-2020, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you know if there should be a connection under the passenger seat for the air bag?
There is no connection there
Old 02-22-2020, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you so much.. found it got it in.. Reading as 5-1.
Erase the code from the SRS unit. If the code returns, replace the SRS unit.