Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

99 Civic EX Serious Loss of power

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 06:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 99 Civic EX Serious Loss of power

Hello guys, maybe someone can help me. I am very mechanically inclined, but I unfortunately am NEW to Honda.

I have a 1999 Honda EX, got roughly 100,000 miles. Now I just bought this car from a friend which came with more problems then it should have, but alas, its mine. I have a weird problem.

There is a SERIOUS lack of power. I mean, flooring the gas petal coming into ANY gear i shift i get nothing. In fact I feel like I am fighting to not stall the engine. Now I tuned it up with plugs, wires, distro cap and rotor. I used all middle of the line <not looking to SUP it up just stay above shitty> But STILL have a serious lack of power.

Like coming out of first gear I can rev to 4k and it will drop to 500 as the clutch is reengaged, and almost stalls each time. I am at a loss for what the hell is going on with this car. I just want it to run normal at least so I am not afraid to come out of stop signs accelerating at .4 miles per hour lol

Any thoughts?
Old 08-18-2012, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: 99 Civic EX Serious Loss of power

Check timing? CELs? If no CELs is your CEL working? Smoke coming out exhaust? Any tests done? Compression/leak-down? Results? Fuel filter changed?
Old 08-20-2012, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not sure what CELs are? Timing I will check this weekend, I am pretty sure it was timed before I got it. but then again I can't rely on that. I have the fuel filter, I will put that in this weekend as well. Thank you.

and No smoke from exhaust, havent had any test done, would pep boys be good for that or a private shop?
Old 08-20-2012, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Ruinator
Not sure what CELs are? Timing I will check this weekend, I am pretty sure it was timed before I got it. but then again I can't rely on that. I have the fuel filter, I will put that in this weekend as well. Thank you.

and No smoke from exhaust, havent had any test done, would pep boys be good for that or a private shop?
CEL= Check Engine Light

Yeah don't rely on that.

The tests I mentioned can simply be done yourself.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

CEL is on, had code pulled, its Odometer, which I know about, the sensor is bad, and they said exhaust/vaccum, but they didn't diagnose the problems, the code pull was free lol

And I am not sure as to the test.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah it should be free. But get me the actual codes pulled so I can help you out and go about a diagnosis.

You're
very mechanically inclined.
but don't know how to do a compression test or leak-down test? Google.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Dude you can rent for free the tools at autozone for compression test. Also, I would HIGHLY suggest checking your fuel pressure. Sometimes cars read bad vacuum problems due to the exhaust readings and its actually fuel pressure. Fords are bad about this, but I dare not compare my Hondas to a Ford. I would like to say Hondas are superior to that nonsense, but I don't know for sure, as my honda is now 16 and has yet to pop a CEL on me ( except when I put that ebay CAI on when I was a kid).
Old 08-22-2012, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

First things first, take the car back to get the codes checked out and have them write it down. Come back and let us know what you got. We can give you a million things to check but with the codes we can narrow it down to a handful.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DeLSoLRo
First things first, take the car back to get the codes checked out and have them write it down. Come back and let us know what you got. We can give you a million things to check but with the codes we can narrow it down to a handful.
That's what I've been trying to get him to do! Hahaha.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, first, Mechanically inclined as in, I can take **** apart and put it back together. Basic knowledge, this is the first time I decided to go all alone on fixing cars cause I figured I could do most work myself with little to no instructions, but yea, compared to you, nah, I aint nothing.

second, I got the fuel filter changed with some difficulty, I am pretty sure that other one was YEARS old, lol, ******* 14mm bolt on bottom didn't want to move. But thats done.

3rd, I am going to get the intake cleaned out as per seeing thats a huge issue with older hondas, and while its there I will get the code pulled again.

New note, my "srs" light keeps coming on? lol fun ****, thank you guys for your help thus far.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

second, I got the fuel filter changed with some difficulty, I am pretty sure that other one was YEARS old, lol, ******* 14mm bolt on bottom didn't want to move. But thats done.

3rd, I am going to get the intake cleaned out as per seeing thats a huge issue with older hondas, and while its there I will get the code pulled again.

New note, my "srs" light keeps coming on? lol fun ****, thank you guys for your help thus far.
Yeah mine was a bitch too.

Alright let us know!

SRS is for the airbag. So you have a problem with your airbag somewhere. Could be many things.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey guys Sorry for the late reply, crazy life ****, but I pulled both codes with my friends computer and he told me what they were, both were Sensors

One was a MAP sensor, and the other was a air Temp Sensor, both not 1 foot away from each other.

The Air Temp Sensor, was fixed by him, it was just a wire ripped out from it, so he redid the end of the wire and well ah, after the comp reset, that code was gone.

Just did the MAP sensor today, apparently is SUPER important because it gives the computer the "how much gas/air ratio it should use."

And I put it in today, and now am running correctly. Correctly to a point where i have to get re-used to driving this car now, cause I am squealing the tires in first and second gear <due to the fact that JUST to get it to move prior i needed to drop from 3k on the odo. lol>

So guys it looks like the MAP sensor was the ******* issue lol, and now I have to re buy my spark plugs due to the over excess of Fuel in my cylinders I not have carbon all over my spark plugs. lol

But thank you guys for your help!!!!
Old 10-07-2012, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I apparently have something electrical going on, I wander if that is tied to the SRS thing. Cause as night my lights in my car are fading and gaining in time with my engine lol, like blinking.