Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   99 Civic EX - need input on air intake and exhaust system upgrades (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/99-civic-ex-need-input-air-intake-exhaust-system-upgrades-2980589/)

99hondacivic 09-18-2011 12:29 PM

99 Civic EX - need input on air intake and exhaust system upgrades

hello everyone. im very new to the car department. i have a 1999 honda civic ex. all stock except for the rims. wondering what some good quality upgrades are. i want to get a cold air intake and an exhaust to start off. need help deciding which brand to get. and is a bypass valve for the CAI a good choice. thanks for all your help.

98civdx 09-18-2011 12:45 PM

Re: air intake

Quick qestion, why do you want a intake?

You are aware that you will gain next to noithing with a intake and exhuast right? They are usally considered expensive noise makers.

A intake and exhuast will go hand in hand with futher modifications, IE, internal. Such as a cam.

Also, don't foget about tuning. You will NEVER see the true/actual HP out of any mod without a tune.

Cap'N Chronic 09-18-2011 02:00 PM

If your looking into getting an intake I would just get a cheap aluminum piping one off of ebay, and swap out the filter that comes with it for a foam filter.

All of the expensive K&N and AEM intakes are way overpriced, and they all do the same thing on hondas.

And the reason for getting a foam filter is because the mesh filters that come with regular intakes don't filter out near as much particles in the air that could be harmful to your engine.

Here is a reputable site where I got my foam filter from: http://www.perrinperformance.com/

98civdx 09-18-2011 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Cap'N Chronic (Post 46037891)
If your looking into getting an intake I would just get a cheap aluminum piping one off of ebay, and swap out the filter that comes with it for a foam filter. ]

Depending on if he is cali, he can't do that.

Cap'N Chronic 09-18-2011 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by 98civdx (Post 46038179)
Depending on if he is cali, he can't do that.

Ah true I didn't think about that.

Former User 09-18-2011 04:41 PM

Re: 99 Civic EX - need input on air intake and exhaust system upgrades

Welcome. Please place simple techs questions directly into the thread title.

furious94ls 09-18-2011 06:36 PM

If you aren't going to be upgrading the performance of the car over just intake/exhaust I would make a DIY factory icebox. Remove the intake resonator and drop in a K&N filter. This will give you SLIGHTLY better fuel economy, lil better sound, and throttle response. Find a used ITR or Civic SI muffler. Factory quality, better sound, longer lasting, same gains.

grumblemarc 09-18-2011 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by furious94ls (Post 46039182)
If you aren't going to be upgrading the performance of the car over just intake/exhaust I would make a DIY factory icebox. Remove the intake resonator and drop in a K&N filter. This will give you SLIGHTLY better fuel economy, lil better sound, and throttle response. Find a used ITR or Civic SI muffler. Factory quality, better sound, longer lasting, same gains.

Really? What kind of gains are we talking about?
Negligible. Keep it stock.

99hondacivic 09-18-2011 07:27 PM

my dad is a expert mechanic at a well known mechanic shop. he says that these 2 upgrades are for the best. im only on here for suggestions because he doesnt have alot of time to help me do research. i understand the part about buying the ebay intake and putting a different air filter on it. that makes perfect sense. also, intake and exhaust arent the only 2 things that i will do. i plan to go farther. i am just starting off with these. i know they are expensive. but i can handle it.

98civdx 09-18-2011 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by 99hondacivic (Post 46039452)
my dad is a expert mechanic at a well known mechanic shop. he says that these 2 upgrades are for the best. im only on here for suggestions because he doesnt have alot of time to help me do research. i understand the part about buying the ebay intake and putting a different air filter on it. that makes perfect sense. also, intake and exhaust arent the only 2 things that i will do. i plan to go farther. i am just starting off with these. i know they are expensive. but i can handle it.

Go futher? How far?

Look into going turbo, or swap. I/E are a waste on a stock d16.

joeshmo 09-18-2011 08:38 PM

Your dad is probably thinking of other engines. I know some cars benefit GREATLY from a properly ported intake/larger exhaust but generally they have engines that have highly restrictive intakes and exhausts from factory. This is not the case with the civic.

But speaking of intakes, is there any problem with me deleting the factory resonator? What purpose does it truly serve? I honestly noticed very little difference in engine noise with/without it.

Texas4door 09-18-2011 09:39 PM

The black resonator box for the intake or the resonator in the exhaust midpipe?
^^;

virgineg6 09-19-2011 02:21 AM

On a D series engine an intake and exhaust are a waste of money.

ReDHaTcHyGuy 09-19-2011 05:14 AM

same could be said for b series if your counting exhausts gaining 8hp and around the same for intakes on d series..

TOP91 09-19-2011 08:02 AM

Best upgrade ever was put a reuseable k&n airfilter in.

joeshmo 09-19-2011 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by TOP91 (Post 46041266)
Best upgrade ever was put a reuseable k&n airfilter in.

Why do you say that?

And I meant the intake resonator, not the exhaust resonator.

TOP91 09-19-2011 11:47 AM

So what are the Pros and Cons of removing the resonator box for those of you who modded/removed it and still kept stock upper air box?

grumblemarc 09-19-2011 12:06 PM

Noise.

98civdx 09-19-2011 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by TOP91 (Post 46042538)
So what are the Pros and Cons of removing the resonator box for those of you who modded/removed it and still kept stock upper air box?

Basicly what marc said.

It will give you that "sound" that everyone seems to like.

I don't know how loud it will be, but, I highly doubt it will be any where near as loud as SRI.

joeshmo 09-19-2011 03:45 PM

Honestly, I removed my resonator and there is little to no noticeable difference in sound.

98civdx 09-19-2011 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by joeshmo (Post 46043843)
Honestly, I removed my resonator and there is little to no noticeable difference in sound.

That is what I was thinking.