Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

99 Civic DX - need new muffler opinions

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Civic DX - need new muffler opinions

So, I have a 99 civic dx with a stock D16Y7 and I need to redo the exhaust on it, I was thinking full header, high flow cat and splitting it at the end to run duals. However I could use some opinions on what to do for mufflers, I'm looking for something alittle loud but not over kill and if I will need to do anything else to the car to keep valves from burning up or anything along those lines. shoot me some opinions.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:14 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: need new muffler and tuning opinions

wrong section bud. post in civic section and post questions about tuning here
Old 03-21-2014, 08:08 PM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Moving to Civic.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:28 PM
Stancetard Hate Monger

duals? are you insane? these engines are barely big enough for singles. since the y7 is cat on manifold, youll need a regular 88-00 civic style header, under car cat, then 92-00 civic coupe/sedan cat back exhaust (excluding y7 equipped models). if you dont want tons of noise but do want quality, go apexi ws2.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:38 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want loud, growly, and awesome, find yourself a Mugen twin loop muffler. Not a cheap knockoff - get the real thing. Just go ahead and forget about dual exhausts - there's nowhere under the body to fit it, and even if you custom fab something, you'll have zero ground clearance.

If you want to hear yourself think over your exhaust, get a Thrush Turbo muffler welded on. Cheap, highly effective, reliable, with minimal noticeable difference at idle, a bit more growl at cruising RPMs, and a deep, throaty sound when you put your foot into it.

Last edited by TomCat39; 03-25-2014 at 11:49 AM. Reason: condescension removed
Old 03-21-2014, 11:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

buddy club spec2 FTMFW jk it's loud an annoying, just get a shop you make you up a straight pipe.... lol @ ppl who pay 600$+ for bolt on exhausts.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:24 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

start reading. or find someone that knows whats up locally to steer you in the right direction.(and knowledge takes time and money so dont be a leech and compensate for his time spent helping you) othersiwe you will waste your time and money on bullshit like dual exhaust on single cam that doesnt do anything just looks like a flashback from F&F times
Old 03-22-2014, 12:37 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My accord has dual exhaust, for no reason.

what you should really do is get those bumper tri-holes and route your exhaust pipe into 6 pipes and shove em thru there. That way you get to buy not 2 but 6 chrome exhaust tips.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well I ordered a new header that's a 4-2-1 one piece and a high flow cat that's under the body to compensate for the stock one being gone, and I was going to just run a single 2.5 inch pipe back from that to the axle and split it into a Y-pipe there and change the rear bumper to make up for the ground clearance issue. then I was going to just either run 2 dc sports mufflers or do a single muffler to split it and just use tips. but at the same time I am not sure if I should do that or just run a single and wait to make sure I wanna do the duals still. I only want them cause they are not as common as singles.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:44 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: 99 Civic DX - need new muffler opinions

well to put it in plain words without sugarcoating.
its the dumbest idea to do something because its not common

the below car is also not common... and theres a reason for it. you see what i mean?

some people try to build all motor d15b7 then realize its pretty dumb and a waste of money and time
Old 03-25-2014, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 99RiceBurner
well I ordered a new header that's a 4-2-1 one piece and a high flow cat that's under the body to compensate for the stock one being gone, and I was going to just run a single 2.5 inch pipe back from that to the axle and split it into a Y-pipe there and change the rear bumper to make up for the ground clearance issue. then I was going to just either run 2 dc sports mufflers or do a single muffler to split it and just use tips. but at the same time I am not sure if I should do that or just run a single and wait to make sure I wanna do the duals still. I only want them cause they are not as common as singles.
Don't give these cars a worse name.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:58 AM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

OP do what you want to do, if you let some of these guys, they will make you fit in whatever tiny little box they deem is correct for you.

It looks like you know there won't be any gains for the duals but if you like the look and are not worried about gains then go for it. I always commend people who want to make their car their own and not just be another cookie cutter car. Good luck on figuring out the routing to maintain clearance. That will likely be your biggest challenge.

You can always do a little photoshop work and do a mock up to see if the look is appealing to you.

What these guys are good for though are what names are still quality parts at the moment.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You will need to extend the O2 sensor on the clean side of the cat since you are relocating the cat under the car.... http://passwordjdm.com/PasswordJDM-O...P1767C320.aspx You will want the 32" wire extension, plug and play...

Honestly I just went with an Ebay exhaust 4-2-1 for like $80.00, put the Flowmaster Catalytic for a Honda DX, the wire extension for the cat and ran the car over to the muffler shop letting them do the rest... Way better tubing than you would get on an Ebay deal....
Old 03-25-2014, 12:20 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

here we go again. with do whatever you want to do...

bad advice. because of people like tomcat is why honda got bad reputation everyone thinks were ricers BECAUSE OF DO WHAT YOU WANT TO DO ****...

sometimes you should take advice from people that been around for longer than 2 years

we all start modifying from walmart/autozone and then realize how dumb it was later on

my first purchase when i got my integra was a set of DUB floormats and portable vacuum cleaner and i was so proud of myself.

now im thinking how stupid that was and money wasted. and wish someone told me to spend that cash where it matters
Old 03-25-2014, 12:24 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by TomCat39
OP do what you want to do, if you let some of these guys, they will make you fit in whatever tiny little box they deem is correct for you.

It looks like you know there won't be any gains for the duals but if you like the look and are not worried about gains then go for it. I always commend people who want to make their car their own and not just be another cookie cutter car. Good luck on figuring out the routing to maintain clearance. That will likely be your biggest challenge.

You can always do a little photoshop work and do a mock up to see if the look is appealing to you.

What these guys are good for though are what names are still quality parts at the moment.
Well said, my friend.

@ the OP:

Found your exhaust system.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-CIVIC-92-00-2-4-DOOR-FULL-STAINLESS-STEEL-CATBACK-EXHAUST-SYSTEM-CAT-BACK-/160702527471?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1999%7CModel%3ACivic&hash=item256a9df7ef&vxp=mtr
Old 03-25-2014, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TomCat39

Tomcat. do you like my Integra's new wheels ? DRW's 16x10 +25 with stretched 205/40's
Attached Images  
Old 03-25-2014, 12:42 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

u like my mustang tomcat? i follow your advice and did what i want...

Old 03-25-2014, 01:07 PM
Hysterically Calm

You guys are funny, don't like the wheels but if you do who am I to say what you like?

I do like the stang though. Pretty unique.

Now you are trying to make me fit in your poor little box.

If you enjoyed your floor mats and vacuum cleaner then money wasn't wasted. However your individuality was wasted once you let others sway your individual tastes to theirs. Now you feel stupid for the things you once enjoyed. Tis a pity.

The OP will learn a few things about his car doing what he wants to do. He will also make the car his own design. Just cuz you like your house boring beige doesn't mean I have to, I want forest green and mauve.

It's guys like you that perpetrate the other stereo type. "It's not a ricer with these parts and built this way."

Tell you what, you mod your honda or acura from ANYTHING other than stock for the make model and trim, it's a ricer. Welcome to the club.

If you drive ANYTHING over speed limit, you are a reckless childish driver. Welcome to the club.

I say **** on anyone who ***** on your creativity. Let people mod their cars to their design and lets try and direct them to quality parts, not knock of junk parts. For all we know, one of these kids might turn out to be the next major car designer. Or maybe brings a whole new car line into existance 20 years from now. But because yall **** on him like you always do, little Johnny just became a stock worker in some warehouse.

Gotta love stereo types and labels, it goes both ways.

Tell you what, lets see how you feel when everyone says you can't write with whatever hand you prefer, yer a lefty you have to learn to be a righty, or vice versa.

OP another thing you will have to sort out is hangars where none were.

If you have someone who is good with fabrication you could take the pipe up the center until you get to the rear LCA framing, take the piping to a flat but wide tubing and have it split just after. Might be able to keep the flow while only being two inches thick while maybe 5-6 inches wide.

Would take a bit of flow calculations to go from cylinder to retanglular tubing.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:14 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TomCat, there's a huge line between "do what you want" and "do what you want, but keep your car safe". No, not every idea is a good one. No, not everyone should do whatever they want to their car. Dual exhausts are particularly stupid. Have you ever actually looked under a 92-00 Civic? Where exactly do you recommend anyone run the piping? There is absolutely no safe, sensible place to run it.

You want to Bosozoku, go for it, but you'd better spend time learning how to work a welder - there's no shelf kits for it.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:20 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by B_Swapped93
Tomcat. do you like my Integra's new wheels ? DRW's 16x10 +25 with stretched 205/40's
sonofabitch....................
Old 03-25-2014, 01:22 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Go to a muffler shop and have them weld on your dual exhaust save the headache of trying to weld. Go to pep boys and pick out those cherry packs and whatever else they got and head on over to the nearest muffler shop and have them weld it on.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

Alright, you guys have had your fun. Now refocus the posts on the OP's tech question.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:02 PM
Hysterically Calm

Originally Posted by NotARacist
TomCat, there's a huge line between "do what you want" and "do what you want, but keep your car safe". No, not every idea is a good one. No, not everyone should do whatever they want to their car. Dual exhausts are particularly stupid. Have you ever actually looked under a 92-00 Civic? Where exactly do you recommend anyone run the piping? There is absolutely no safe, sensible place to run it.

You want to Bosozoku, go for it, but you'd better spend time learning how to work a welder - there's no shelf kits for it.
Yeah never said anything about trying things unsafe...

My thought of retangular piping right down the middle forgot to take into consideration the gas tank.... So that idea is scrapped.

The part about dual exhaust is stupid is just your opinion. Just like you can think the mona lisa painting is stupid, it's subjective.

OP's idea seems best. run it's normal course and split it right at the bumper so it's behind everything. Believe that is a safe route. Would prevent adding a trailer hitch though.

OP: Are we talking a sedan, coupe or hatchback?

I'm curious to see first hand the engineering problem of splitting the exhaust safely on a car's trim other than my own.

Last edited by TomCat39; 03-25-2014 at 02:37 PM. Reason: grammatical fix
Old 03-25-2014, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If it's split AFTER the subframe it'll be easy to do I don't even weld for a living but I can tell you that for sure, use the bumper beam rails that go backward to wards the car to weld the hangers too. Simple really just pointless/impractical, when we say don't do it we(those of us who spend large amounts on out engines vs looks) are just trying to avoid kids giving these cars a bad rap. just do something like the DA integra exhaust again not hard at all (I know the DA has one tip)

@Tomcat/everyone else those seriously are my wheels.... https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...0#post49606730
Old 03-25-2014, 02:35 PM
Hysterically Calm

Originally Posted by B_Swapped93
If it's split AFTER the subframe it'll be easy to do I don't even weld for a living but I can tell you that for sure, use the bumper beam rails that go backward to wards the car to weld the hangers too. Simple really just pointless/impractical.

@Tomcat/everyone else those seriously are my wheels.... https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...0#post49606730
Yeah didn't say it was practical, then again neither is painting a city scape in teh engine bay. The key is if the owner likes it. Just like your wheels, you like em, that's what matters, that and if they are safe really. The saying goes, ones person's trash is another persons treasure.

Another thought of the split exaust, you will have to use some sort of reducer for the first piping so that not all the exhaust goes out the first port it comes to (path of least resistance). That way on cold days you get the full look of dual exhaust. Wouldn't look right seeing it all comeing out of one pipe and not the other. I think the easiest soultion if you don't know the math behind it all would be some sort of exhangeable reducer far enough back that it's not seen from the back of the car, at least once the soot builds up the black hides it. That way you can do trial and error on the exhaust port until you get the right balance of exhaust out of each pipe on idle.

Quick Reply: 99 Civic DX - need new muffler opinions