Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

'99 civic dx auto gears?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2005, 03:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '99 civic dx auto gears?

Feels like these gears are pretty long. I don't race with(only twice) it and I guess it is for mileage sake, but how much a difference would it be performance wise if I were to get an auto ex tranny/gears? Just wondering. It's a great little daily driver but I did get the chance to test out how 'fast'(don't take this the wrong way, I am aware this car is slow) it was and after being in other high school kids cars(tempo, subaru legacy, geo prizm), I was surprised I was the only one who could make it to 100mph within a reasonable a stretch of land. Keep in mind I did this on a closed road.

I was amazed but it seems like the gearing is really tall. My friend is a ricer and owns a '95 civic EX with an I/E and a stupid bodykit. You would think it is a given that he could beat me until Sunday(not because of the body kit, obviously, but because he is making 20 extra hp out of the box and has a stick), but I managed to pull about a car on him from a 20mph roll and keep him there until 100(I guess it's because his car was beat on by the previous owner). Right around there, it appeared it shifted into 4th and that totally killed me, I couldn't accelerate any more, made it to about 102. We have the advantage to having an old airport that we are allowed in to test cars out and a nice long highway w/o traffic or cops. We also have a shop class and I would like to get to know more about cars before I would get something that is actually quick. If I could drop in a new tranny with shorter gearing, would I be able to increase that top speed and/or acceleration? Gearing wise, this car could see 120+, but I dont' have the power to push it, so maybe shorter gearing could get me in the middle, topping off at over 100mph.

Again, I'll stress that my car is probably the slowest car on this board, but the time will come that I will get my '06 Civic and might want to mess around with it. If you could just link me to a sight that gives info on all of the the trannies, I'd appreciate it.
This is kinda similar to the high schools who will pitch in to build a car and the kids with licenses can race it. It is a little side part of school, the auto shop guy gets to use the land so we can drive '05 mustangs, the new prius, local cop cars, or our own cars and test driving skills. It's basically to keep us off the streets. The reason why I posted this is because I decided to check it out and had a great time there and was able to keep up with the kids in my class of crap cars. Noone there has an auto civic and the best I could get out of the shop teacher was that he would let me put the tranny in, but at my own time, if I do so choose.

Thanks, and I do know about the mini me swap, which would be a bit easier, but these are just all quetions. I will more than likely keep the civic stock.