Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

99 civ.ignition switch recall/info help...

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 civ.ignition switch recall/info help...

hey all...what few times i've posted has been on the accord side...my wifes civic has just hit 120k...great car...do all the maintenance myself...but about a month ago it just stalled as we were driving...hasnt did it since til this weekend...started happening again...

so i started researching this last month ..the first time..and ran across the recall of the faulty igntion switches and the years..same exact symptons...have to give the key a extra bump to get it started...so figured it had to be that...no cel..and never a problem..now i know that these things happen,wear and tear etc.....

so i gathered the recall info..and called my local dealer..they havent heard of it..and checked my vin..nothing..i set up a appt...and called the honda of america #...very nice..ran my vins...she said no recall on ours....and explained they were made at certain factories and times were why some needed it..some didnt....

so the question is...is this true?...do these just go out regularly...not much of mechanic other than the basics..but thought i was in there when i seen all the recalls...especially if it turns out to be what it was...will they start there?...and does anyone have a dealer approx. cost?...seen the part was like 70 and probably 90 for labor...

any help or comments would be appreciated....would you try and talk to the dealer again during drop off?..or just let it go and pay...just seems weird to me...tks for any input..and have a good day..
Old 07-06-2009, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 99 civ.ignition switch recall/info help...

I just had my ignition switch replaced under a recall on my 99 civic because it was started stalling very often; at first it stalled once every few weeks and then it started stalling more and more often.

I was able to replace it under the recall because I received a recall notice in summer of 2002 and I still keep it so I showed it to them, they checked and verified that in fact it needed changing on my civic. If you didn't receive that notice, then yours probably can't be replaced under the recall.

You don't need to replace the tumbler and stuff, it's just an electronics part/switch that needs to be changed to fix this problem. You can keep the same key you have now (at first I thought the whole cylinder assembly needed to be changed and I would have to use a new key but when I went to the dealership they said only the switch needs to be changed).
Old 07-06-2009, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 99 civ.ignition switch recall/info help...

ty for the reply...was thinkin the same...doesnt sound like 2 high dollar of job..i personally dont like messing with electrical type work....and no notice...but when i called honda they didnt have my wifes name in the system after 9 years of ownership...so not sure where it wouldve been mailed to...but vin not in the recall list....have to see on wednesday..tks