Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   99-00 SI gauge cluster into 00 Ex - How retain Ex odometer and Si speedo face plate? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/99-00-si-gauge-cluster-into-00-ex-how-retain-ex-odometer-si-speedo-face-plate-3026700/)

bpl0807 02-12-2012 05:49 PM

99-00 SI gauge cluster into 00 Ex - How retain Ex odometer and Si speedo face plate?

Im about to buy a 2000 si gauge cluster to put in my 2000 ex automatic (manual swap coming eventually lol). When I realized... The mileage shown will be different than the actual on my car. Is it possible when I swap the clusters to one: swap the EX SPEEDOMETER into the SI cluster and just put the SI face on it, or if that doesn't work is it possible to set the SI one back or forward to the mileage shown on the EX speedo and then put it in, or will that break it? Any help would be appreciated.

phoxking 02-12-2012 05:53 PM

Re: Quick question about 99-00 SI and Ex gauge cluster

Originally Posted by bpl0807 (Post 46849976)
Im about to buy a 2000 si gauge cluster to put in my 2000 ex automatic (manual swap coming eventually lol). When I realized... The mileage shown will be different than the actual on my car. Is it possible when I swap the clusters to one: swap the EX SPEEDOMETER into the SI cluster and just put the SI face on it, or if that doesn't work is it possible to set the SI one back or forward to the mileage shown on the EX speedo and then put it in, or will that break it? Any help would be appreciated.

yes it is possible, open up the cluster! just be careful not to mess anything inside, i forgot the details but you should be able to figure it out from there.

deving916 02-12-2012 05:54 PM

you can roll a cluster back/forward but I believe it's "illegal" and it does show up on a carfax if you change the mileage

I'm not sure about the changing the faces but if you take the cluster apart you have to like move the tiny little gears carefully or they'll break

SpeedoKing 02-12-2012 07:44 PM

It is possible to change the mileage on any ek cluster, I have done it many times. I too purchased a SI for my EX and had to roll the mileage on the SI forward to match the one I was taking out of my EX. Whether it is illegal or not I am not sure, as long are you are not changing the mileage to make a profit on the car you should be fine. You should also know before you put the SI cluster into your car that the speedo will be fast by about 7mph because the speedo sensor on the B series trans is different then the one on your D. Whether you can swap the sensors out, I am not sure. But here are the steps to changing the mileage, sorry I have no pics but I will do my best to be percise.

1. remove the clear plastic cover on the speedo, there should be 5 or 6 tabs holding it on. it should just pop off.
2. next remove the black plastic cover surrounding the speedo, tach, temp, and gas gauges. This too should be held on by a few clips and will pop right off.
3. This is where you have to be very careful. You will need to remove the speedo needle, take two small flat head screwdrivers and place them between the speedo needle and the faceplate. Then gently pry the needle off, this can be hard because sometimes the needle is on there kinda hard.
4. once you get the needle off there are two screws holding the face plate onto the cluster. Remove the screws then lift off the faceplate.
5. Now it is time the change the mileage, you will see the tumblers with the mileage numbers on them and on the top and bottom of the tumblers you will see white plastic gears that can be pried off so that the mileage tumblers can be moved freely. Be careful NOT TO COMPLETELY REMOVE the white gears that hold the mileage tumblers in place. I found that I could only change the thousands and not the hundreds on the miles (for example 123,456. I can change the 123 and not the 456).
6. once you have the mileage set to where you need it put the faceplate back on and hook the cluster back up to your car, and start your car then place the needle back on the speedo. This will make sure that the needle is on zero mph. you can then unhook the speedo and replace the rest of the parts.

that is the best explanation i can give to you. You may be able to find a write up with pics somewhere. I DO NOT TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY DAMAGE YOU DO TO YOUR CLUSTER. best of luck man.

bpl0807 02-13-2012 05:11 PM

Do you know about swapping just the faces?

SpeedoKing 02-13-2012 06:58 PM

im sure it is possible I have seen people do it with the temp and fuel gauges but not with the speedo. I think that the tach and speedo assembly are separate too so it wouldn't matter, but you would have to take a look because I am not sure.

96dxcrapbox 02-14-2012 07:21 AM

its a cake walk.
you can keep your mileage by swapping out the speedo portion of the cluster like you stated. before you open the the cluster up on the back side of it in the middle there is 4 screws remove them then remove the plastic tabs the clear portion and the black portion should pop out together. there is two upper light bulbs on the front of the cluster.\pull those too. lift out the face if you want too swap them now is your chance. the speedo just lifts out put your old speedo in the new cluster and you are good to go
i did this yesterday so i could gain a tach ......it took 15 minutes.
let me know if you need pics

Civic2Fast 02-14-2012 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by 96dxcrapbox (Post 46859205)
its a cake walk.
you can keep your mileage by swapping out the speedo portion of the cluster like you stated. before you open the the cluster up on the back side of it in the middle there is 4 screws remove them then remove the plastic tabs the clear portion and the black portion should pop out together. there is two upper light bulbs on the front of the cluster.\pull those too. lift out the face if you want too swap them now is your chance. the speedo just lifts out put your old speedo in the new cluster and you are good to go

Spot on... just swap odometers

94EG8 02-14-2012 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Civic2Fast (Post 46859373)
Spot on... just swap odometers

You can't do it on an Si cluster. Well you can, but it looks ridiculous since the Si speedometer head looks completely different than all other '96 - '00 Speedometer heads. I don't think you can swap the faces either, IIRC the spacing between the numbers is different.

96dxcrapbox 02-14-2012 04:29 PM

the swap i did was from dx to ex..........oops

Danny Sihapanya 05-18-2012 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by 96dxcrapbox (Post 46859205)
its a cake walk.

So I can do that without taking out the needles? Sorry for bump. :S

Former User 05-18-2012 05:57 AM

Re: 99-00 SI gauge cluster into 00 Ex - How retain Ex odometer and Si speedo face pla

Old thread closed.