Searched couldn't find, what gives out the best light in foggy conditions

White lens with white bulb
white lens with yellow bulb

yellow lens with white bulb
yellow lens with yellow bulb <- that doesn't make sense to me but

Old 09-27-2006, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

without scientific data i would think yellow lens white bulb. a yellow bulb wouldnt put out 100% of the light spectrum and then it would just be filtered more if it were behind a yellow lens.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (wudini)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wudini &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">without scientific data i would think yellow lens white bulb. a yellow bulb wouldnt put out 100% of the light spectrum and then it would just be filtered more if it were behind a yellow lens.</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol that's why I put the lol
Old 09-27-2006, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (G2 Speed)

up for answer!
Old 09-27-2006, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whichever will produce the yellowest light in conjunction with actual light output. yellow light cuts through fog and moisture better than white will. the best light to cut through fog would be red but that is illegal on the frontend. so my $.02 will go to the yellow blubl/clear lens. and it also depends on the kind of bulb. the best bulb would have a clear case and still have a yellow color.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Kris.)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kris. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">whichever will produce the yellowest light in conjunction with actual light output. yellow light cuts through fog and moisture better than white will. the best light to cut through fog would be red but that is illegal on the frontend. so my $.02 will go to the yellow blubl/clear lens. and it also depends on the kind of bulb. the best bulb would have a clear case and still have a yellow color.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks!

anyone confirm?

If my headlight's are on, and my fogs..if it's foggy out, won't my headlights screw with my foglights? or?
Old 09-27-2006, 06:51 PM

it depends on the amount of fog. you may see better in thick fog with just the parking lights and fog lights on because your whiter headlights will reflect a lot of the light back. but in most states, having just the fog lights on is illegal.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

white bulb+yellow lense. just foglights on ftw.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kris. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it depends on the amount of fog. you may see better in thick fog with just the parking lights and fog lights on because your whiter headlights will reflect a lot of the light back. but in most states, having just the fog lights on is illegal.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I should get rid of my DRL

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by aquarius &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">white bulb+yellow lense. just foglights on ftw. </TD></TR></TABLE>

why? white bulb + yellow?
Old 09-27-2006, 10:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by G2 Speed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I should get rid of my DRL

why? white bulb + yellow?</TD></TR></TABLE>

when you have a bulb stained yellow it cant shine nearly as bright as if it were clear. because like its said above...the light spectrum is filtered by the yellow stain. Clear bulbs shine brighter than stained yellow ones, and yellow light cuts through fog better....so there lies the problem. Do you choose brightness or yellowness?
You would want it to reach as far as it can while still being able to cut through fog...so that means you want it to be as bright as it can be while still being yellow.

so if the light is yellow because of the lense.. it cuts through the fog nicely...and its precision in doing so is sharpened by being able to shine farther because the clear light generates a greater amount of light.

Ive driven through MT snow storms with my setup...which is exactly this way...and believe me...it works very well.
The picture isnt a good demonstration of the lights...but i had fun with them..as you can probably see.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 99-00 Fogs, light output (G2 Speed)

bump for more answers to this guy's question!

andd this is slightly off-topic, i see everyone with yellow lenses, but i've been told that OEM honda has clear lenses with yellow bulbs ? can someone clear this up for me please
Old 09-28-2006, 04:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 99-00 Fogs, light output (confucioussae)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by confucioussae &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">bump for more answers to this guy's question!

andd this is slightly off-topic, i see everyone with yellow lenses, but i've been told that OEM honda has clear lenses with yellow bulbs ? can someone clear this up for me please </TD></TR></TABLE>

don't worry, I want as much info as I can get before I purchase..

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by aquarius &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">when you have a bulb stained yellow it cant shine nearly as bright as if it were clear. because like its said above...the light spectrum is filtered by the yellow stain. Clear bulbs shine brighter than stained yellow ones, and yellow light cuts through fog better....so there lies the problem. Do you choose brightness or yellowness?
You would want it to reach as far as it can while still being able to cut through fog...so that means you want it to be as bright as it can be while still being yellow.

so if the light is yellow because of the lense.. it cuts through the fog nicely...and its precision in doing so is sharpened by being able to shine farther because the clear light generates a greater amount of light.

Ive driven through MT snow storms with my setup...which is exactly this way...and believe me...it works very well.
The picture isnt a good demonstration of the lights...but i had fun with them..as you can probably see.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

So your saying white lens, and clear bulb that's yellow
Old 09-28-2006, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No man. Clear bulb...because it shines better. Yellow lense because it makes it yellow.

White bulb=Brightest
+
Yellow Lense=Still yellow and able to cut through fog
=
The brightest yellow light possible and the best for fog.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 99-00 Fogs, light output (aquarius)

i have a eg, but the foglights are basically the same. So i hope this helps. I purchased oem fogs with a clear lense. I then purchased the Piaa ion crystal yellow bulbs from safedrives.com, i installed them, and the piaa's are very yellow, and put out almost double what the stock white bulbs did in fogs. I had just headlights before, and when driving through fog it really sucked (couldnt see the road that well) then i installed the fog lights, and they did help a bit but not a bunch. Then once i got the piaa bulbs it was awsome, they seemed to illuminate the road better than the stock bulbs did and they seemed to travel just as far thru the fog as they do normally without fog.

here is the output of the stock fog light bulbs:

and here is the output of the piaa bulbs:

i took the casper sheild out of the fog light projctor to eliminate the cutoff. They still work great even with no cutoff!! with no cutoff when driving the fogs are almost as bright as my normal headlights, and yes the yellow light can still project and hit the road under the fog.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 99-00 Fogs, light output (hondaboy4life)

that's a huge difference over the stock bulb... your setup has a clear lense with a yellow bulb? is OEM for the 9900 fogs clear lens ?
Old 09-28-2006, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

not any yellow bulb though. The piaa ion crystal h3 bulb is the one i have its the best. Yes oem lenses on 99-00 civics are clear lenses. I dont think the color of the lense will matter that much though, will just make the light a little bit more yellow.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

damn 2 different answers...

white bulb - yellow lens
yellow bulb - clear lens

Anyone have a proof which is better or a comparison?

side by side picture
Old 09-28-2006, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

search, there are a few threads about fog lights. In those threads everyone says piaa is the best for getting yellow color and output of light. A yellow lense will just make your bulb more yellow, but a piaa will make the light yellow AND improve output.
Old 09-28-2006, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondaboy4life &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">search, there are a few threads about fog lights. In those threads everyone says piaa is the best for getting yellow color and output of light. A yellow lense will just make your bulb more yellow, but a piaa will make the light yellow AND improve output.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Understand

Clear Lens, and Piaa Yellow

Thanks for the help I got to jot this down, when I do my 99-00 front end
Old 09-28-2006, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The PIAA yellows may put out more light than STOCK lights. My point is that if you were to buy the brightest foglight you possible could, the one that could shine the light the farthest, it would be white or clear. Why? because plain and simply, white bulb has the full color spectrum where as a yellow bulb is immediately filterd.
It is true that yellow light cuts fog better, but it is not necessary to have the bulb itself yellow. A yellow lense still makes the light yellow and as yellow as it needs to be...but the light ulimately will shine farther because the white bulb puts out a more intense beam.

I stand that white bulb yellow lense is superior.

Old 09-28-2006, 09:05 PM

Default Re: 99-00 Fogs, light output (aquarius)

PIAA's wont last as long though. they have to up the wattage in the bulb to way past stock to make it the same brightness but yellow.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by G2 Speed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Clear Lens, and Piaa Yellow </TD></TR></TABLE>

what would the expected life be on the PIAA bulbs be compared to stock ??
Old 09-28-2006, 10:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by confucioussae &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

what would the expected life be on the PIAA bulbs be compared to stock ??</TD></TR></TABLE>

I hate my own thread

I'm so confused now

edit: I read some intresting articles and yellow does nothing, so I'm just going to get Clear lights and white bulbs

http://www.gi.alaska.edu/Scien....html

and the best -&gt; http://www.cartalk.com/content....html
^^^ read article!!

So I just learned it doesn't matter if it's yellow or white, it's personal preference.. I'm going to go with clear lens, white bulb.. so I can illuminate the road even better if I ever need to, and if there is fog..
Old 09-28-2006, 10:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is the bottom line. the PIAA bulbs MIGHT last you 6 months. i would project one of them going in 3-4. for my money, yellow lense with a brand name WHITE bulb would be the way to go. unless you have some hard on for Honda OEM..then your choice is obvious since they only came clear. i personally like the way yellow lenses look during the daytime, and since i dont deal with the london fog every night i drive my car, having the absolute best yellow light output comes second to how they look. if you really want to see in the fog, get yourself some 100W 6" HELLA/KC/PIAA yellow fog lights and strap them to your grill ralley style.

IMHO
Old 09-29-2006, 03:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 99-00 Fogs, light output (wudini)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wudini &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">this is the bottom line. the PIAA bulbs MIGHT last you 6 months. i would project one of them going in 3-4. for my money, yellow lense with a brand name WHITE bulb would be the way to go. unless you have some hard on for Honda OEM..then your choice is obvious since they only came clear. i personally like the way yellow lenses look during the daytime, and since i dont deal with the london fog every night i drive my car, having the absolute best yellow light output comes second to how they look. if you really want to see in the fog, get yourself some 100W 6" HELLA/KC/PIAA yellow fog lights and strap them to your grill ralley style.

IMHO</TD></TR></TABLE>

if you read, it doesn't really matter if it's white or yellow.. the brightest light. aimed closet to the ground

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 99-00 Fogs, light output