Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

99-00 fog light problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99-00 fog light problem

So I just installed 99-00 fog lights on my 96 civic (99-00 front end).

When I turn on the headlights and hit the fog light switch, the light on the switch only lights for when I press the button, and the fog lights only turn on when I hit the switch as well. For some reason they do not stay on, they are only on if I hold the switch down.

I am using a JDM EK switch if that matters. Anyone have any suggestions?? I am really at a loss.

Please help!

Thanks-Darryl
Old 06-10-2006, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 99-00 fog light problem (bellmy2007)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bellmy2007 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So I just installed 99-00 fog lights on my 96 civic (99-00 front end).

When I turn on the headlights and hit the fog light switch, the light on the switch only lights for when I press the button, and the fog lights only turn on when I hit the switch as well. For some reason they do not stay on, they are only on if I hold the switch down.

I am using a JDM EK switch if that matters. Anyone have any suggestions?? I am really at a loss.

Please help!

Thanks-Darryl </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm guessing your switch is black and not gray?

My cousin has a rear foglight switch (it's the black one on the right). He doesn't have it hooked up yet, but when I installed the switch in his car I noticed that it felt like a momentary switch (turns on when pressed, turns off upon release) which I found to be strange. I'm wondering if any rear foglight owners can chime in here. Are rear foglights supposed to be constantly turned on, therefore requiring push on/push off switch?

Other than that, I don't know what to tell you. Maybe you can try to take the switch apart and see if it's a spring of some sort inside that's broken.
Old 06-11-2006, 03:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: 99-00 fog light problem (White95SiHB)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by White95SiHB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I'm guessing your switch is black and not gray?

My cousin has a rear foglight switch (it's the black one on the right). He doesn't have it hooked up yet, but when I installed the switch in his car I noticed that it felt like a momentary switch (turns on when pressed, turns off upon release) which I found to be strange. I'm wondering if any rear foglight owners can chime in here. Are rear foglights supposed to be constantly turned on, therefore requiring push on/push off switch?

Other than that, I don't know what to tell you. Maybe you can try to take the switch apart and see if it's a spring of some sort inside that's broken.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The rear fogs are constant. Perhaps the switch 'spring' mechanism is broken. BTW, that's a weird power folding mirror switch. All on the ones I have seen have the folding button on the left with a picture of the mirror and arrow. From what model is that switch from?
Old 06-11-2006, 04:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 99-00 fog light problem (BlueIntegraBoy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlueIntegraBoy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The rear fogs are constant. Perhaps the switch 'spring' mechanism is broken. BTW, that's a weird power folding mirror switch. All on the ones I have seen have the folding button on the left with a picture of the mirror and arrow. From what model is that switch from?</TD></TR></TABLE>
might be euro
Old 06-11-2006, 06:03 AM

White95SiHB--You got it, i have the black switch. And I agree, now that you say it, it does feel momentary. This is the link to where i bought it: http://yhst-1408381693991.stor....html I'll see if I can take it apart to look for any problems, just hope I don't break it in the process.

If anyone else has any other ideas, please help me out :D
Old 06-11-2006, 04:29 PM

Default Re: (bellmy2007)

anybody else got any ideas? i took the switch out but i cant find a good way to take it apart without ruining it. could i have a defect, or is the JDM switch different? i checked the 2 gounds and they look fine.

sorry but i am a noob when it comes to electrical work so any other suggestions would be great! someone else had to have the same problem if the switch is working right!
Old 06-12-2006, 11:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bellmy2007)

I have a 92-95 Esuse switch at my parents' place...the LEDs burned out, but it still clicks on/off. Next time I visit I'll try and take it apart to see how the spring mechanism works.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:30 AM

Default Re: 99-00 fog light problem (Sleepy_Red_hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sleepy_Red_hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">might be euro</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't think so. I have an Euro spec 99 EK4 and my switch looks different. I don't have folding mirrors but mine are heated. And i have that little button on my top left and a picture on it for heating the mirrors.
Now that i've seen this, i want to have folding mirrors.
Old 06-18-2006, 07:05 AM

Default Re: 99-00 fog light problem (wicked2night)

so it looks like since i have a usdm fog light kit, the jdm switch will not work correctly with my kit. i guess i need a usdm switch so if anyone is selling a 96-00 usdm switch let me know!!