Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   99-00 Civic Grill Removal...Without removing bumper (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/99-00-civic-grill-removal-without-removing-bumper-1365644/)

Weapon_R 09-08-2005 08:14 PM

99-00 Civic Grill Removal...Without removing bumper

Did a search already, not enough information. I'm trying to remove my grill to replace with a CTR grill, but i'm having trouble removing it because I do not want to take off my bumper.

Are there any tips/tutorials you guys can offer? Thanks in advance.

CRacer21 09-08-2005 08:22 PM

Re: 99-00 Civic Grill Removal...Without removing bumper (Weapon_R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Weapon_R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Did a search already, not enough information. I'm trying to remove my grill to replace with a CTR grill, but i'm having trouble removing it because I do not want to take off my bumper.

Are there any tips/tutorials you guys can offer? Thanks in advance.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you have long arms I suppose that you could reach through the engine bay. It's just a lot easier IMO to take the bumper off.

Weapon_R 09-08-2005 09:30 PM

reach what in the engine bay?

ROK801 09-08-2005 09:31 PM

Re: (Weapon_R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Weapon_R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">reach what in the engine bay?</TD></TR></TABLE>

the grill...

Weapon_R 09-08-2005 09:33 PM

Perhaps I should be a little specific.

I've already removed the top plastic screws, and i pulled on the grill to discover 5 small phillips-head screws that i've removed. There is still something holding it down on the bottom of the grill, but I cannot see what that is.

What should I do to get it out?

ROK801 09-08-2005 09:43 PM

that should be it...
run your fingers around the grill where it screws into the bumper and make sure you got all the little clips and whatnot...

ive never taken one out without dropping the bumper.
bumper isnt hard to drop, if you cant get it just drop the bumper...

jeffk182 09-08-2005 09:47 PM

After the plastic clips and the screws, I believe there are 2 like metal clips that are holdint the bumper and grill together..thats how it was on my old civic (98). Check that out..

ekcivic9 09-08-2005 09:48 PM

the grille is attachd to the bumper.

there are 2 screws in by the fenders, and 2 10mm bolts on the bottom of your car.

remove those and your whole bumper should just slide off... just do it https://honda-tech.com/forums/images...s/emsmilep.gif it will save you time.

ROK801 09-08-2005 09:51 PM

Re: (ekcivic9)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ekcivic9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the grille is attachd to the bumper.

there are 2 screws in by the fenders, and 2 10mm bolts on the bottom of your car.

remove those and your whole bumper should just slide off... just do it https://honda-tech.com/forums/images...s/emsmilep.gif it will save you time.</TD></TR></TABLE>

https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emthup.gif

Weapon_R 09-08-2005 10:06 PM

Just thought i'd post a follow up. I finished, and did not remove the bumper.

I removed the plastic screws that hold the grill from the top to the bumper. I pried the top of the grill towards me, and saw the 5 screws holding it to the bottom.

Frankly, i'm VERY surprised that you guys recommend the removal of the bumper. There was tons of room and I got the bottom of the screws out with my small phillips screwdriver. With those off, the grill falls out easily and I put the new one on.

Of course, the new one as you know is only fastened by the top 5 plastic screws I removed in the beginning.

Thanks for all your help, it was pretty easy but you do need a flashlight to see the screws holding the bottom of the grill to the bumper. Everything looks great.

Type V 09-08-2005 11:21 PM

now don't say i didn't warn you... *touch wood* hopefully ur car won't get jacked... but if so, they'll wiggle ur grille and realize - damn it's already disconnected from the bumper, they'll definitely jack ur grille.

now if u spent $$$ for a crazy grille, ull regret not fully taking off the bumper.

if u got an inexpensive grille - then whatever right?

if they drove off with your car, then nothing matters. hopefully u'll get the car back without it being stripped and that u had all ur parts sent in to be covered under insurance!

civic_driver 09-08-2005 11:39 PM

taking the bumper off is very easy.... remove top and bottom screws, remove side screws and it falls on the floor... it's much easier/faster than having to reach and mess around through the top of the engine bay

Weapon_R 09-09-2005 12:03 AM

Re: (Type V)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Type V &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">now don't say i didn't warn you... *touch wood* hopefully ur car won't get jacked... but if so, they'll wiggle ur grille and realize - damn it's already disconnected from the bumper, they'll definitely jack ur grille.

now if u spent $$$ for a crazy grille, ull regret not fully taking off the bumper.

if they drove off with your car, then nothing matters. hopefully u'll get the car back without it being stripped and that u had all ur parts sent in to be covered under insurance!</TD></TR></TABLE>

What's the solution to this? I didn't do a half-assed job, the aftermarket grill does not have the bottom openings for any screws so I cannot fasten it any more than I already did.

Type V 09-09-2005 09:24 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Weapon_R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

What's the solution to this? I didn't do a half-assed job, the aftermarket grill does not have the bottom openings for any screws so I cannot fasten it any more than I already did.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Type V &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
</TD></TR></TABLE>

M2nR 09-09-2005 09:52 PM

Re: (Type V)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civic_driver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">taking the bumper off is very easy.... remove top and bottom screws, remove side screws and it falls on the floor... it's much easier/faster than having to reach and mess around through the top of the engine bay</TD></TR></TABLE>

Some people are just so Lazy!! hmm lets see, take it off: easier, faster. Keep it on: Much harder and will prolly take a while... just take it off damn!

Weapon_R 09-10-2005 04:00 PM

I'm not lazy, but there really is no need whatsoever to take off the bumper to get at the grill. I believe it would only take me about 10 mins to do the swap this time around.