Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

99-00 bra fitment over lip debate?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99-00 bra fitment over lip debate?

I have heard that the si and non-si bras are the same minus the "civic si stitching". My main concern is can a non-si full nose mask "bra" fit over an OEM Si lip? Why would a Si lip cost over $140 while a non-si lip is only $66. Something tells me there is more than just the "civic Si" stitching difference. Another, question is why are the Si bras so hard to find? Thx

Here is a link on this topic: https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...+si+bra+lip%3F
Old 02-22-2010, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 99-00 bra fitment over lip debate?

Lol did you even read that thread? Apparently the bar is super tight as it is and the SI is apparently a little bigger to accommodate the lip. So the non SI probably wont clear the lip as well as you wont see your fog lights.
Old 02-22-2010, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by junk95civ
Lol did you even read that thread? Apparently the bar is super tight as it is and the SI is apparently a little bigger to accommodate the lip. So the non SI probably wont clear the lip as well as you wont see your fog lights.
Yes, I read the thread before posting. I have been told the Si and non-Si bras have the same fitment. I have also spoken with a potential seller about this subject. He told me: no you cant put it under the lip nor would i want to. He has a Si Bra. Are there a few different manufacturers for these bras? Different people say different things.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:21 AM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by dgerej2
I have heard that the si and non-si bras are the same minus the "civic si stitching". My main concern is can a non-si full nose mask "bra" fit over an OEM Si lip? Why would a Si lip cost over $140 while a non-si lip is only $66. Something tells me there is more than just the "civic Si" stitching difference. Another, question is why are the Si bras so hard to find? Thx

Here is a link on this topic: https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...+si+bra+lip%3F
The $69 nose mask is a HALF nose mask. The $149 nose mask is the FULL Si nose mask that's meant to fit over the stock lip.

It's basically the difference of just a hood bra ($69) or the full bra that covers the hood and front bumper ($149).

A comparable nose mask would be the standard nose mask for $139, which fits on a front bumper with no front lip. So a $10 difference, really.

The prices aren't set in stone either. They're just general list prices. Different dealers will have different prices.

The Si nose mask is so hard to find because few people bought them.

All nose masks are optional parts. Therefore few people bought them to begin with.

The Si nose mask just wasn't needed for most people. You have to figure most buyers of '99-'00 Civics didn't want an Si and didn't buy the optional front lip either. So there was no use in buying the Si style nose mask to begin with.

On top of that almost all optional parts for pre-2000 Civics have been discontinued.

It's very likely you can no longer even buy these parts from Honda.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:33 PM
H-T White Ops

Thank you for taking the time to respond. Not trying to be a dick, but a potential seller told me the OEM "Si" full nose mask was never supposed to go over the lip. A Honda rep from south bay Honda of Milpitas told me the same thing. Here is my issue, if the regular non-SI bra was never intended to go over a lip but will, why would I buy a SI lip for $150 if I can buy a non-Si lip for $66 (HandAaccessories) that can also be stretched. I have an OEM Si front lip but my car is an EX. Why should buy a used Si bra when I can buy a cheaper bra with these features: brand spankin' new, does not say Si, same fitment.

PS. After reading your response, A thought popped into my mind. Is there a possibility this seller has a mismatched set. This is quoted from a pm mikeycivic sent me: no you cant put it under the lip nor would i want to. His bra has been for sale for over two weeks. Is there a reason he hasn't sold a hard to find item like this other than the steep price?
We know for sure that the Civic Si nose mask fits over the OEM optional / Si / CTR front lip. People have posted photos that prove this.

I can't say the same for the standard nose mask since I've never seen anyone do that.

I can't say one way or another if the mask was ever meant to go over the lip. Stock images don't show it and I see no mention of it in the accessories manual (though my previous post was based on the mistaken memory of seeing just that), so chances are it wasn't meant to go over it. But I cant be for sure.

I've also seen people put the OEM lip over the nose mask, but I wouldn't recommend it. You will have to put holes in the mask to get the lip mounted.

So, here's the stock image from the accessories manual. It doesn't look like there's a lip under the mask.

But here is someone who has managed to put the mask on over the lip. It seems to fit well and without any problems. In fact, it looks like it fits perfectly. No pulling on the parts above that at all. There are more examples of this and I have more images to post if needed.

And here's where someone put the lip on over top of the mask. This required damage to the mask in order to mount the lip.

My recommendation would be to find someone else with a '99-'00 with a standard full nose mask and ask them if they can fit it over the standard lip.

As far as mikeycivic's sale, I don't think two weeks is a very long time for it to be for sale. There are plenty of sales of much rarer parts that I've seen take way, way longer than this.

We have to remember that rare parts might be rare for a reason. Not everyone wants those parts. A lot of people might have thought said part was ugly, nonfunctional or otherwise not what they're looking for when the part was originally for sale. While tastes in the community might change marginally, there will still be some people who feel the same way as those original potential buyers. Depending on the item it might be more or less than before though.

The truth of the matter is that I've never really seen anyone who is particularly interested in the Civic Si full nose mask. Then again, I haven't seen many come up for sale either.

Thinking into that even more, I haven't seen any interest in the '99-'00 full nose masks at all. Most people just want that upper hood section.

If mikeycivic is willing to wait, I'm sure the item will eventually sell for a fair price.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

NOFX,

I would like to give a little insight on this. (also that is my car, the blue si there..lol). The difference between the regular Optional bra for the 99-00 civic and the 99-00 Civic Si include the following two things: 1. Like you said the nose mask for the Si is indeed meant to fit over the lip so the 99-00 nose mask has extra “material” such that it may do so (fit over the si lip that is). Mine does fit perfectly over the lip on my car. The 99-00 civic nose mask does not have this extra material which makes sense because civics other than the SI do not come standard with an SI lip although it is optional for them. 2. The SI bra also has stitching that says CIVIC SI on the hood bra portion and not just CIVIC like the bra for the rest of the 99-00 civics.

I agree with the pricing. Those prices are general prices but dealers sell them at different prices. I got mine for $188 shipped to my door about 7 or 8 months ago.

Again I agree with you that the SI nose mask is hard to find because few people bought them so they were not manufactured in great numbers. And again, I agree that the nose mask is an optional part.

I wouldn’t go as far as to say the SI nose mask wasn’t needed. I just think people didn’t want them and they weren’t as popular. Again, I wouldn’t figure that most buyers of 99-00 civics didn’t want an SI. I say there were a variety of reasons people didn’t buy the SI. Maybe they didn’t want it, couldn’t afford it at the time, maybe they wanted a sedan, etc. I also wouldn’t say that there was no use in buying the SI nose mask to begin with because if that was the case then im sure production would have thought of that and probably wouldn’t have offered it.

You are right when you say that almost all optional parts for 2000 civics are older are discontinued. I have a few optional parts like my OEM 99-00 civic rear lip, SI nose mask, JDM Stanley/Raybrig Foglights (the real JDM yellow ones, although this wasn’t an optional part in the US, the clear foglights were and are much cheaper in price but same quality, I just wanted yellow I guess), and OEM 99-00 civic splash guards. I took me about 1 year of hard searching to find all of those parts. The rear lip I got from England brand new, the nose mask I got from a Honda dealer in Miami brand new, the foglights I got from a local jdm dealer brand new, and the splash guards I got used from someone is north Carolina.

As far as your recommendation to the OP, I can say that the 99-00 full nose mask will not fit over the lip at all. It will only cover the bumper. If the OP has added a lip to his 99-00 civic or has the SI version, he should go with the SI nose mask because I can guarantee it will fit over the lip.

I agree with you that the upper hood section is what most people want. And in that case, the 99-00 civic hood bra and the SI hood bra are interchangeable. Meanining you can through either hood bra on any 99-00 civic whether its an ex, dx, hx, or SI.

Once I look at the link the OP has posted maybe I can give more insight and also post more pics of my car with the SI bra on it.

Oh yeah one more thing. I noticed the picture that the dealership has of the civic SI bra on the blue si in the stock picture. To me, that looks like the photo used an SI hood bra but used the bottom portion from a non-SI 99-00 civic nose mask. Like you said there is no lip on that SI.

Feel free to correct me if any of the information I have provided is inaccurate.. I will not be offended. Hopefully this helps the OP.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

here is another pic of my car..

Old 02-25-2010, 01:41 PM
H-T White Ops

EBPcivic2000, you're spot on.

I did mean that original buyers of these cars probably saw no use in a full nose mask, not that it wasn't needed.

I would not recommend wearing the masks full time though, especially if you live in a wet climate. Debris can get behind the mask and damage the paint or water can get behind it and damage the paint also.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

NOFX, I agree with you. My bra isn't on right now.. hasn't been on since about early september to get ready for the winter. I have it on during the spring and summer and take it off weekly for washing. I did notice a little bit of paint damage in one spot due to water trapped behind the bra after washing it though. but its not so bad.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sup guys....i jus gotta question....i'm trying ta pic up a full si mask for my ride, but jus wondering if it can take some abuse cuz i rub my lip goin up most driveways. Will the mask tear easily because i dont want to get one if i"m goin to tear it up in a couple days you know....wat you guys think....you have anyproblems with urs
Old 05-11-2010, 12:07 PM
H-T White Ops

If you keep rubbing a stretched nose mask against concrete, yeah, it's probably going to beat the **** out of it.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how do you put the liciense plate back on?
Old 05-12-2010, 07:01 PM
H-T White Ops

If you want the bumper mask and the license plate at the same time (with the plate in the standard location), you have to cut away part of the bumper mask.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have heard that the si and non-si car bras are the same minus the "civic si stitching". My main concern is can a non-si full nose mask "bra" fit over an OEM Si lip? Why would a Si lip cost over $140 while a non-si lip is only $66. Something tells me there is more than just the "civic Si" stitching difference. Another, question is why are the Si bras so hard to find? Thx

The non-si full nose mask "bra" will fit over an OEM Si lip. The Si lip is more efficient than the non-si full nose mask bra. That is why it is costly than non-si.

Last edited by tiresmokindad; 07-29-2010 at 11:36 AM.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tiresmokindad
The non-si full nose mask "bra" will fit over an OEM Si lip. The Si lip is more efficient than the non-si full nose mask bra. That is why it is costly than non-si.
this is incorrect. the non-si full nose mask will not at all fit over the lip. There are pictures above that show this.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I agree that the si and non si bras are just the same minus the civic si stiching. But I disagree when in terms of fitting it in the OEM si lip.