Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

98ex bent cam gear??? READD

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 08:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98ex bent cam gear??? READD

Just bought a 98 ex for my girlfriend. drove the thing 200+ miles home from wisconsin with no problems. The car had a valve tick and it sounded like the timing belt was a bit too tight, it was whining. Valve tick fixed so today i took off the timing belt cover in attempt to re-tension the belt.

I found the plastic backing behind the cam ger had melted and flopped down onto the inner back side of the cam gear.
Aside from this the cam seal is leaking like a sombitz all the way down the motor and onto the belt =/. I put the valve cover back on and started it up just to check it out closer and the cam gear is deffinately wobbling.

Question is, has anybody ever had this problem.. and ifff the cam is bent..would it destroy the head.

I'm hoping its just the gear and the seal, I'll reply as soon as I find out

Might just get a new head this weekend...but if anybody knows a cheaper way to fix let me know.

Thankss
Old 02-10-2009, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 98ex bent cam gear??? READD

if the cam is bent, then the head is probobly junk. also never heard of that problem. i assume your talking about an sohc motor. ive seen cam gears break but not bend :-\
Old 02-10-2009, 12:03 PM

hmm. I'm not sure. I had in mind that maybe the cam were cocked a tiny bit and digging into its journals causing a lot of heat and maybe thats what caused the melting of plastic.. but how could a hardened piece of steel bend in any way..especially if its held in by all the caps. Wouldnt it just bust the caps?? I ll try to re-tension the timing belt and see what happens-i didnt have enough time earlier

and yes its a sohc, my buddys got a y8 layin around im going over there right now to re tension and swap gears hopefully that will decide for me whether the head is trashed or not.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:28 PM

To anyone interested or if anyone else ever comes across this problem, the end of the camshaft is definitely bent.

I pulled the cam gear off and rigged it up on the end of a power drill and it was by far perfect. I even swapped the gear off of my friends y8 and re tensioned the belt and it still wobbles erratically and whines just as much.

With the timing cover off, and the car idling, you can look through the gear at the cam seal and clearly see the spacing between the cam and the seal increase and decrease.

I have nooo clue how this happens or why it would randomly happen when the car hit 115k. It's a freak problem and i intend to further investigate when i pull the head apart

btw, a new motors going in Thursday............................cylinder 1 just started knockin =/ only when the car warms up, but its there.

I've officially been BONEDDDDDDD

Fuchin homos

I did come across a freshly broken in y8 motor and tranny from a buddy for 400 bucks tho =]
Old 02-14-2009, 12:29 PM

Well I picked the old motor apart starting with the head.
The end journal where the cam sits right aside the cam seal was totally trashed, not to mention the cam was completely ground down and all of the metal shavings were found in the pan.
I'm guessing the shavings were what got into the rod bearing of #1 and tore it up (obviously) but i wasnt sure just what had caused the problem with the cam in the first place (dont think it was tensioned too tight).

I looked into it further and found some rtv silicon also sitting in the pan in random places, and just so happened to look into the pick up and find it plugged with chunks of rtv..this probably caused the lack of oil to the head, which made the cam commit suicide and cause extreme heat enough to tweak it at the end and melt all the plastic..

I hate hackers