Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

98 HX/H2B swap - questions about tranny, OBD, and N/A

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 04:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 HX/H2B swap - questions about tranny, OBD, and N/A

I posted just a generalized post earlier about possibly swapping an H2B into my 98 HX. I have a few specific questions that if I could get answered would be fantastic. First of all, I am new to all of this so don't sugar coat anything. Tell me what I need to know.

1.B18 or B16 tranny and should I swap the final drive in either? To what? Where do I find transmissions online?
2.OBD1 or OBD2? And what would I need for this as far as jumpers, harness etc.
3.I'm staying N/A. Is it possible to pull 300whp from this with the right set up?

Anything else I need to know please feel free to help a brother out!! Thanks a ton from Afghanistan!
Old 08-10-2014, 05:59 AM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Re: HELP

First off never make a post topic title listed "HELP", you need to be way more specific and I'm sure a mod will come fix it but just note that for the future.

That being said what is your goal for this car? Daily driver? Racing? Etc?

Why is 300 HP your goal? To get that NA you're going to have to drop some serious $$$
Old 08-10-2014, 06:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: HELP

Originally Posted by HondaPartsHero
First off never make a post topic title listed "HELP", you need to be way more specific and I'm sure a mod will come fix it but just note that for the future.

OP - Please read the forum Rules sticky.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:47 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: 98 HX/H2B swap - questions about tranny, OBD, and N/A

300 N.A is more easily doable with a J, not to mention more torque
Old 08-10-2014, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok. Well thank you for correcting me. And after doing some research, I don't think this particular swap is going to be a good first. Haha. So, alternatively I have begun looking into a b18. Would I be better off running the Type - R or the GSR with modifications? I am soo confused.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:42 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by ALWAYSREADY
Ok. Well thank you for correcting me. And after doing some research, I don't think this particular swap is going to be a good first. Haha. So, alternatively I have begun looking into a b18. Would I be better off running the Type - R or the GSR with modifications? I am soo confused.
do you have the money to buy a legitimate type R engine? GSRs can go pretty cheap IV seen complete swaps go for less than 1,000. But IV seen lots of people buy cheaper GSR swaps and blow em up rather quickly afterwards.

if you're modifying it, it doesn't make much of a difference. Some people say a GSR makes a better turbo engine, some people say it doesn't flow as well.

maybe you should just yakno not do any of this.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have the funds to purchase a full Type-R swap. I don't really want to get into turbos. But Ive also read that if you spent the money to purchase a type r, it would be silly to start modifying, taking away what the type - r stands for. And why not do any of this??
Old 08-10-2014, 07:53 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I have the funds to purchase a full Type-R swap. I don't really want to get into turbos. But Ive also read that if you spent the money to purchase a type r, it would be silly to start modifying, taking away what the type - r stands for. And why not do any of this??
you need to study old Honda tuning magazines or something to that extent
Old 08-10-2014, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I thought this site was supposed to help answer my questions...not refer me somewhere else. I understand I am not up to snuff like most here, but that's why I am here and all I need is a simple answer. That's all. I am fairly inclined just newer to the Honda world...but thanks for the reference.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:02 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

I thought this site was supposed to help answer my questions...not refer me somewhere else. I understand I am not up to snuff like most here, but that's why I am here and all I need is a simple answer. That's all. I am fairly inclined just newer to the Honda world...but thanks for the reference.
So what is your new goal, since you found out that an h2b is going to be too technical of a swap to do. They have mount kits to make the swap easily installed, they have companies that can take care of the wiring headache, they have tuners that can send you a chipped ecu with an h22 basemap.

Word of advice, before taking any advice from members on this forum you should look into there past posts to see where they are coming from.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, I had read there was a lot of small fabrication to this h2b swap like shaving the balancer and timing cover fabrication etc. And I figured by the time I got done doing all of that and buying everything I need to include tranny and motor I could go with a type r for about the same if not less.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Honestly, I just want a quick fun car to drive around on weekends. If I'm in over my head just let me know.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:10 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by shotoutacc0rd
you need to study old Honda tuning magazines or something to that extent
No. You don't. I've seen people banned for less than the inaccurate ridiculous "tech" advice you've been regurgitating lately. Stop derailing threads when you yourself don't even know what you're talking about.

OP. The quick and easy way to do this is to...
1) Look for a previous COMPLETED well-documented build thread, similar to your current goals and become familiar with it. Take notes (parts list, costs, sources, etc.).
2) Copy it. Do not deviate unless you know EXACTLY what the effect will be to the outcome of the build.

Last edited by grumblemarc; 08-10-2014 at 08:28 AM.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:14 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

You basicly need to pick one and stick with it. If you want a **hp, any motor can make that kind of hp with the right build. The problem is your questions is just the same generic question any beginner asks and you end up with multiple answers that either confuse you more or you end up with more questions.

Any motor can be fun and quick, boost a d motor and its quick. Simple answer right there to a generic question. But if you want go a different route than a swap is in order. Depending on the swap you will lose some qualities of life: no p/s, no a/c.

Some swaps will also require the need of upgrading your braking system.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, thanks a lot for your guys' help. Like I said I'm decently inclined, I just need a jump in the right direction is all. I will definitely keep you posted on what I decide and the progress once I get started...(Once I get back from this **** hole Afghanistan!) Thanks again all! Any further advise will be greatly appreciated!!