Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

98 ex swap or boost

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 ex swap or boost

So now that i have a 98 with a b18 and my wifes still has the D16...boo.....it is such a drastic change of drive everytime i change cars. My delimea is either swaping her car with a B16A2 out of a si and keep it obd2 because we wont be doing anything to her car except I/H/E all shes wants is her car to be loud. The other option is to do a rebuild on her D because it does have 190k on it and then supercharge it. I am trying to figure out which would be best. whichever i do i need to keep the girl friendly think such as PS/AC/heat. If you guys have any input please let me know....and dont flame...its a girls car so i dont need a billion whp all i need is around 175whp
Old 02-25-2012, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 98 ex swap or boost

175hp in a NA D series is near impossible. You could probably do it, but you'd run into so many issues with reliability and parts. EVERYTHING has to be accounted for: compression, components, timing, strength of the parts, etc. Take it from me (someone who has be flamed at about this), if you want 175hp you're better off going turbo or supercharged. My vote is turbo. The fuel will get burned more thoroughly (since it takes the exhaust fumes and runs it back into the cylinders) which means you'll probably pass smog easily. Not to mention that TONS of people turbo Hondas more often than supercharging so there's more support and aftermarket availability for it. Plus you get to choose a blow off valve for the extra cool "PSSSHHH".

But if you want to stay NA, it'll be a lot of late nights with grease all over your hands (get some stuff called "Awesome" if you can find it; great for cleaning hands). However, according to the website down there, it'll cost less than a stock B18C5 and have more torque. BUT, don't quote me on that since this post is about 9 years old and I don't know where he's getting his stats from.

http://www.d-series.org/forums/engin...-d16y8-z6.html

BTW, that's pretty awesome that your wife is into cars. My D has about 140K on it, but I'm still bone stock.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no i wouldnt do a NA D i was going to supercharge if i stay D....but yes i love that she is into cars....her brother has had many many hondas so naturally once she got her honda she was hooked. She just told me she doesnt like the sound of a BOV....im trying to keep it around 2K for everything
Old 02-25-2012, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I wish my gf was into cars..... We both have Civics (hers is 92 LX sedan, I have a 2000 EX coupe). Hers was an amazing find: it had 80,000 miles on it when we bought it, but it wasn't running. My dad and I brought it back to life and it runs like a champ. Our heart and soul is in that engine!

If not NA then I personally would go turbo just because a lot of people have done it and have had lots of experience with it, but if you want to try something different and like the supercharging idea, then I say go for it. It's kind of nice to see something different every once in a while. If you decide to go blown, then make sure all the internals are in good condition and all your numbers are right (compression, temperatures, fluid levels, etc.).
Old 02-25-2012, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

theres a picture of hers and mine in the driveway...

as far as choices im not sure yet depending how much i can pick each one up for....i know ill have to find a JRSC kit i seen them come up on ebay and then build her motor a little....or hunt craigslist for b16 and just piece it together or buy one from HMO
Old 02-25-2012, 10:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Id go for the b16, all motor stock.is easier to maintain and easier to install everything then to turbo the d, you can also sell the d swap for a few hundred so the b will be even.cheaper
Old 02-26-2012, 03:23 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

B16s are gutless POS engines unless you boost them. $2k to boost the D? Not likely unless you're doing all the work your self AND take time to source parts at good deals.

You should really have searched this topic before posting. It comes up at least once a week.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
B16s are gutless POS engines unless you boost them. $2k to boost the D? Not likely unless you're doing all the work your self AND take time to source parts at good deals.

You should really have searched this topic before posting. It comes up at least once a week.
1. i dont pay people to do the work i can do my self
2. yes i plan to find good deals on parts
3. Its for my WIFE, so it doesnt a race car just a little more than it is now.
4 I have searched and can not find anything to justify my anwser

This is why people dont ask for help because its alll search this and search that....if you dont have anything helpful to say please do not post in my thread.

If you read my threard im not turboing her car, so around a grand for the supercharger used and probably another grand to get all other associated stuff that i need for it. Thanks for being a complete no helpful person

/thread
Old 02-26-2012, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by coopsekb18

This is why people dont ask for help because its alll search this and search that....if you dont have anything helpful to say please do not post in my thread.

If you read my threard im not turboing her car, so around a grand for the supercharger used and probably another grand to get all other associated stuff that i need for it. Thanks for being a complete no helpful person

/thread
^THIS.

And if you're planning to do all that then I say supercharge it. B16s are cool and all, but they don't have great torque numbers when stock. The 1999-2000 Civic Si had a B16A2 with 160hp and 111 lbs.-ft. of torque when the stock D16Y8 had 107 lbs.-ft. of torque. Not too impressive of an increase. At least if you supercharge the D you'll get the power faster than a turbo because you won't have to deal with turbo lag.

BTW, do you have any companies in mind to get the supercharger kit from? I'm a little curious about this now. XD
Old 02-26-2012, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=T_ypEr;46929028
BTW, do you have any companies in mind to get the supercharger kit from? I'm a little curious about this now. XD[/QUOTE]

the main one i have seen for a direct fit is the JRSC but they do not make them anymore, so you have to look in the marketplace or on ebay to find one used or maybe even CL. I have seen some people retro fit eaton superchargers....IMO id rather spend alittle more for a direct fit kit....I am hopeing by the end of the year i can have everything done.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That's too bad. I guess the turbo market really took over. There are good things about a supercharger and they can be effective when tuned right. When you get around to doing it post some pics!
Old 02-26-2012, 09:31 AM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want power and with a 2 grand budget, Id say boost it. It will take time to source deals on parts, but will be worth it in the end.

A compression/leak down should be done 1st to check the health of the engine.

B16 option should be avoided, like stated above, its the worst of the Bseries engines.

If she just wants it louder, then a cat back should be looked into for around 400. You can get a mandrel bend kit here:
http://www.vrsexhaust.com/TUBING_KIT.../honda_tk.html

Then choose your resonator/muffler

Another option is a nitrous kit. No matter what anyone says, if installed right and tuned right, its safe reliable power on demand. 50 shot will be fine if your engine is healthy.

So theres 3 options:

Boost for power
Catback for noise
nitrous for on demand power
Old 02-26-2012, 09:33 AM
The Grumpiest

Originally Posted by coopsekb18

/thread
Hey Mr. man. Boost does not only mean turbo. Forced Induction covers just that so we're talking supercharger, turbocharger and nitrous. Jackson Racing is about the cheapest kit you can get and there is a dedicated thread about them in the FI forum. So please don't tell me you searched when you couldn't POSSIBLY have. There is nothing that you have asked that cannot be answered in that thread.

A B16A? You might as well keep your money in your wallet. I already tried to tell you that they are GUTLESS. I don't care if they came out of an SI. The SIs were nothing and are still nothing to write home about. They were all hype. So a few mods. Get it up to where you want it and still no torque.

Your current engine. Can the engine handle the boost? Get a compression test done. A search would have told you that. I'm running boosted with close to 200k with no issues.

Will a stock engine handle what you plan to put on it? Another search would have told you yes. A stock D-series can handle 200hp safely. A stock B about 300. Common knowledge.

Jackson Racing is about the only option for you at this point and if you find one cheap you MIGHT make you goal and stay under budget.

ALL of this could have been found if you
  1. Read any of the links in my sig and
  2. Read any of the Forced Induction FAQs. So don't tell me you searched.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: On the road...generally in the central United States...

For two grand, you can easily do a B18 swap on the car, keeping the AC and power steering, make it 'loud' and it will have all the performance you're looking for plus stellar reliability. Call me biased, sure...but I'm a firm beliver in the cheap and versatile B18 engines! It's a swap that can be done with mostly factory parts, and none of them are expensive. Anyone who's been at this stuff for any length of time will probably have a lot of the required parts on hand already.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:52 AM
The Grumpiest

Originally Posted by Blasney
For two grand, you can easily do a B18 swap on the car, keeping the AC and power steering, make it 'loud' and it will have all the performance you're looking for plus stellar reliability. Call me biased, sure...but I'm a firm beliver in the cheap and versatile B18 engines! It's a swap that can be done with mostly factory parts, and none of them are expensive. Anyone who's been at this stuff for any length of time will probably have a lot of the required parts on hand already.
I know you won't listen to anything I've said so listen to this bit of advice. It's as sound as you're gonna get.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Boost.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

buy her a honda ruckus. 100 mpg
Old 02-26-2012, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Blasney
Agreed, b18s are cheaper then b16s and will be relaible, easy to install and be alot quicker then your current engine. I have owned two del sols with b18s and drove a few a of my friends b16s and id rather have my b18
Old 02-26-2012, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I vote Ruckus. LOL XD B18 sounds pretty good too. I didn't think of that, but that could be a pretty good option, especially if it's cheaper.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Hey Mr. man. Boost does not only mean turbo. Forced Induction covers just that so we're talking supercharger, turbocharger and nitrous. Jackson Racing is about the cheapest kit you can get and there is a dedicated thread about them in the FI forum. So please don't tell me you searched when you couldn't POSSIBLY have. There is nothing that you have asked that cannot be answered in that thread.

A B16A? You might as well keep your money in your wallet. I already tried to tell you that they are GUTLESS. I don't care if they came out of an SI. The SIs were nothing and are still nothing to write home about. They were all hype. So a few mods. Get it up to where you want it and still no torque.

Your current engine. Can the engine handle the boost? Get a compression test done. A search would have told you that. I'm running boosted with close to 200k with no issues.

Will a stock engine handle what you plan to put on it? Another search would have told you yes. A stock D-series can handle 200hp safely. A stock B about 300. Common knowledge.

Jackson Racing is about the only option for you at this point and if you find one cheap you MIGHT make you goal and stay under budget.

ALL of this could have been found if you
  1. Read any of the links in my sig and
  2. Read any of the Forced Induction FAQs. So don't tell me you searched.
agreed...if i do boost hers i will have to check the motor first....sorry to snap on you it wasnt right of me....i was only using a B16 because of the fact it came stock in the Si and i could probably find one cheap but if its not even worth it then i wont go that route...i have seen a couple JRSC got for around a grand so i will just have to keep my eyes out and im moving to savannah in a couple months and from what i can see that parts are plentiful in florida

Originally Posted by 96electronH
buy her a honda ruckus. 100 mpg
No we are HD people

Originally Posted by MySickSi
Agreed, b18s are cheaper then b16s and will be relaible, easy to install and be alot quicker then your current engine. I have owned two del sols with b18s and drove a few a of my friends b16s and id rather have my b18
i have thought about a LS/vtec....and i already have a b18c in my car so i know that difference of power between her D and my B

Originally Posted by T_ypEr
I vote Ruckus. LOL XD B18 sounds pretty good too. I didn't think of that, but that could be a pretty good option, especially if it's cheaper.
NO ruckus....only HD if she got a bike.....yes i agree i love the way my B sounds running straight piped with a greddy can
Old 02-26-2012, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EsotericImage
If she just wants it louder, then a cat back should be looked into for around 400. You can get a mandrel bend kit here:
http://www.vrsexhaust.com/TUBING_KIT.../honda_tk.html
She already has I/H/E on her car just the loudness is a requirement for whatever i decide to do to her car
Old 02-26-2012, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I almost forgot, this website will be a huge help to you.

http://6thgenerationcivic.webs.com/modsdiy.htm

Everything from FULL specs to possible mods to engine codes.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

great link thanks
Old 02-26-2012, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No problem.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

B18b swap,, best bang for the buck... and then boost on top,, thats what I did... I had a b16a put in my civic and its no fun... my civic with a bone stock b18 with a greddy turbokit running on 13psi did a 13.4 @ 106mph.. its been running with no prob for the past year and a half.. im pretty sure it can/should run faster,, but I had my buddy tuned it to be a bit more rich just to be on the safe side... so far, after a year and a half,, my headgasket is still dry,,not even a bit of seeping oil,,, and from my experience,,, thats hella good....

Quick Reply: 98 ex swap or boost