Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

98 ex motor type for swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 ex motor type for swap

Hello! Im inquiring about a motor type for my 98 civic ex. I am not too bright and neglected to change my oil which cracked a piston. The shop my car is currently sitting at will charge me an arm and a leg to rework the involved cylinder (which probably has some decent damage to it) and install the new piston. My friend has urged me to instead perform a motor swap with one from a junkyard. Apparently I could do this with my friend for a fraction of the cost, so I am nearly convinced that financially this could be the better approach. I am looking to find what motor types I should be asking all of my local junkyards for. My honda is an automatic with 121k miles and is non-vtech from what I understand. Could anyone please guide me to the most cost efficiant and readily availible motors that I might be able to swap with? If more information about the car is needed I'll be happy to provide all the knowledge I can.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 98 ex motor type for swap (soylentpie)

QUOTE=soylentpie]I am not too bright

?

QUOTE=soylentpie]My friend has urged me to instead perform a motor swap

I don't know if that is such a good idea for someone who's not too bright...

QUOTE=soylentpie]My honda is an automatic with 121k miles and is non-vtech

QUOTE=soylentpie]I'll be happy to provide all the knowledge I can get.

I'd say that you ought to go GET some knowledge. Read up on the FAQ's, they are very useful. There are even "What engine is good for my car?" threads you can look into that can help you.

However, judging from the quotes I've pulled from your thread, you may get a whole lot more hate than help. I'd suggest looking around on your own. This site can be a wealth of knowledge when you look in the right places.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.Hmotorsonline.com
http://www.JDMengineDepot.com
http://www.PasswordJDM.com

You can find USDM/JDM singlecam motors there for under ~900 shipped to your doorstep.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Neglecting to change oil leads to cracked pistons?

Either way it depends on the damage. If you spotted the problem in time and hopefully didn't damage the cylinder wall too bad you should just replace the piston.

Performing a WHOLE motor swap you're potentially gonna spend 2-3 grand, not to mention the down time to work on the car--and just based on what knowledge you have that might be a while.

Probably the most cheapest way to go is to get another block and swap everything over.

In terms of cost:
1) scope out the damage, see if you just need a new piston
2) replacing the block
3) same motor swap
4) alternative motor swap
Old 06-13-2007, 03:05 PM

Default Re: 98 ex motor type for swap (97Ej6mike)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 97Ej6mike &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">http://www.Hmotorsonline.com
http://www.JDMengineDepot.com
http://www.PasswordJDM.com

You can find USDM/JDM singlecam motors there for under ~900 shipped to your doorstep.</TD></TR></TABLE>

awesome, thank you for these great sites.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Orangedragone &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Neglecting to change oil leads to cracked pistons?

Either way it depends on the damage. If you spotted the problem in time and hopefully didn't damage the cylinder wall too bad you should just replace the piston.

Performing a WHOLE motor swap you're potentially gonna spend 2-3 grand, not to mention the down time to work on the car--and just based on what knowledge you have that might be a while.

Probably the most cheapest way to go is to get another block and swap everything over.

In terms of cost:
1) scope out the damage, see if you just need a new piston
2) replacing the block
3) same motor swap
4) alternative motor swap</TD></TR></TABLE>

My last oil change was roughly around 9k miles before the breakdown so I am assuming there is some significant damage to the cylinder if not then some other random part. If this is the case then obtaining just a new block could be a bit troublesome, no? Not to mention the agony of dis and reassembly. If im picking up a motor from a junkyard and doing all of the work myself wouldn't the cost be much less? Thanks for the insight your help is much appreciated.
Old 06-13-2007, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

true. whole swap would be easier, but you're still paying for the motor, and and potential conversion parts.

Strait block swap, all your paying for is the block. For a bare Y8 block, you shouldn' t pay more than $50. granted you did the work yourself.

Just arguing my point, altho the choice is still up to you. From what your argue tho, whole motor swap would be cheaper, granted it was the same motor.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:31 PM

Default Re: 98 ex motor type for swap (Orangedragone)

thanks for the advice ive found a matching motor locally and working on obtaining it.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you should actually have a d16y8 which is a sohc vtec motor. to make the swap easy get one from a 96-99, or you will have to swap your intake manifold onto it or plug some air injection holes in the 00+ intake manifold.

a sohc swap for even a beginner shouldnt take more than a weekend with basic handtools. and a 12pack of your favorite frosty beverage.

and remember, CHANGE YOUR OIL NEXT TIME, even though i doubt it was the cause of a cracked piston.