Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

98 Civic - Will Exedy stage 1 clutch hold up for daily use and weekend auto X?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 05:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Civic - Will Exedy stage 1 clutch hold up for daily use and weekend auto X?

I just purchased a 98 civic sedan DX, going to make this short and sweet.

I use my car as a Daily, and considering jumping up to a Exedy stage 1 clutch. I found a Exedy clutch master, and was going to use just a stock slave! My master cylinder and slave are going bad, spongy clutch started last night...although the clutch started grabbing fine when I added fluid. I looked earlier and noticed that my master was leaking a little inside the car. This car is eventually going to be used as a Daily/2 times a month auto X car. I sit in a lot of traffic during my morning and afternoon commute, and do not want my clutch to burn up prematurally.

I am wanting some input (good or bad) on this, if any of you have a similar setup. I just want to make sure that the clutch is going to hold up for daily use as well as a weekend auto X. All input appreciated!!!
Old 01-15-2013, 06:48 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: 98 Civic - Will Exedy stage 1 clutch hold up for daily use and weekend auto X?

I use an Exedy Stage one for Daily driving and autocross and it's holding up more than fine. The "OEM replacement" exedy clutch is honestly terribly soft. The Stage 1 still has a stock feel with ~200lbs tq limitation.

I've been driving nearly a year with 207whp/164ft lbs and it's still an amazing clutch as expected. Exedy will always get my business for clutches.

If you can get away with replacing the Slave/master cylinder and that solves your problem I would.

And if you haven't autocrossed yet, you really don't shift but once. 1st off the line and the rest of your race is in 2nd gear, especially in a d-series. I did a whole season with my d16y7, and now with my H2B + ITR trans I've still yet to feel the need to use 3rd.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 98 Civic - Will Exedy stage 1 clutch hold up for daily use and weekend auto X?

Ok, well let me ask a question. When you were running the d16y7, did you have the stock exhaust? I am curious about changing out the exhaust setup, mine has the cat on the manifold. I want to run like a Eg exhaust style, with the cat under the car. This is my first time owning anything newer than a 95, and it is growing on me...just a few things I do not like.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:30 AM
Ek Forever y0!

I wouldn't bother. You're wasting your money for what? A nuisance?

I've been through that, I spent $300 probably trying to get my DX exhaust to be an EX exhaust and for what? Money better spend on seat time and tires.

Trying to get ANY power out of a d-series is a waste of time unless you're turbocharging it. And SMF is a whole different ball game.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

true, I just need to replace my manifold then. I have that infamous crack that I have been reading so much about. Plus, I need to change the rack and pinion (leaking all out of the passenger side), and the upper ball joint...well control arms! Other than that, that is all the work that it needs. I just need suspension, wheels, and a paint job. Dark green aparently was not a good color choice, it looks like crap right now.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had an Exedy stage 1 clutch on my '95 for about 5 years/35-40k miles and in that time I've done probably done about 100+ autox events on, one being a Pro Solo. It's held up great, sill grabs strong just like when I first put it in. Pedal feel is nice, tiny bit stiffer than OE but not bad. I have nothing negative to say about it.

If you're looking to get into autox though, check class rules. Some do not allow for aftermarket clutches. Honestly most people won't care, esp since a clutch on a low HP fwd car in non-competitive situations won't matter anyways. But still some thing to consider.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:43 AM
Ek Forever y0!

If you're worried about the crack, have a mechanic weld it if he can. I really wouldn't worry about it. You could even JB weld it if it really bothers you. That was probably the one modification I regret ever doing to the waste of an engine the d-series is.

Drive the car stock and in ST, and carefully consider anything else you do to the car.

My car is heavily modified, and SMF is a very competitive class that requires a LOT more money to be competitive in.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:44 AM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

That clutch is fine for what you are doing.
I agree with Libartariat, with the exhaust.
Leave it be and get seat time!
Old 01-15-2013, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Libertariat
Trying to get ANY power out of a d-series is a waste of time unless you're turbocharging it. And SMF is a whole different ball game.
Not a waste of time/money if you're building for a class that everyone else has the same motor in(STC) and trying to beat the next guy by .001 seconds. Every ounce of power matters then lol. I hate blowing so much money to get 1-3hp but I need to..
Old 01-15-2013, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Good info civexspeedy...thanks! I will call one of my friends in that club and ask him what rules are in his class. I think I would run in his, he has a 09 Versa 1.6L that is one of his track cars/Daily. I just cant wait to get this thing rolling, I am 29 year old today...and have never really been on a track. I think that its about time, I have always wanted to do it. LoL!
Old 01-15-2013, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Libertariat
If you're worried about the crack, have a mechanic weld it if he can. I really wouldn't worry about it. You could even JB weld it if it really bothers you. That was probably the one modification I regret ever doing to the waste of an engine the d-series is.

Drive the car stock and in ST, and carefully consider anything else you do to the car.

My car is heavily modified, and SMF is a very competitive class that requires a LOT more money to be competitive in.
I know, but it sounds so horrible...loud and the fumes come in my car at idle. I have a 7 month old that rides in the car with me on a daily basis. I have never liked a lot of noise, I am willing to invest the money in the manifold to get the leak fixed.

Mainly for my sons sake, do not need him breathing in all those fumes!
Old 01-15-2013, 08:13 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Originally Posted by Ej2guy28
I know, but it sounds so horrible...loud and the fumes come in my car at idle. I have a 7 month old that rides in the car with me on a daily basis. I have never liked a lot of noise, I am willing to invest the money in the manifold to get the leak fixed.

Mainly for my sons sake, do not need him breathing in all those fumes!
That's totally understandable. An OEM EX header and an inexpensive vibrant catalytic converter and a little money at an exhaust shop should get you fixed for ~$200 or so hopefully.

It is going to require some welding.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yea, I know that those fumes are hurting me as well. Although, I am a smoker...so cant do that much damage...LoL! I am just going to replace that peice. I want to eventually do a b16 swap in my car, so when that happens I will just get a custom exhaust from the headers back done. That should take care of the whole problem.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:29 PM
On vacation

I run the Exedy OEM replacement in my daily driven, autocrossed, and rallycrossed 1992 Si with no issues to speak of.

However, its hard to say whether or not you'd see the same results because clutch life and reliability is very much dictated by the setup of the car and driving style.