Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

98 civic Tranny

Old 06-02-2006, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 civic Tranny

I'm probably replacing tranny soon, Since I will be doing it on a lift, I was wondering do you have to take the exhaust out? i just read the helms and it says it but i replaced my clutch before and we didnt take out the bottom part of the exhaust manifold. Also will i be needing a clutch alignment tool if im just replacing the tranny? the tranny has a bad ISB ...so i'll just replace the tranny...if you have any tips...please throw it in...first time i'll be doing tranny work with a lift...so definately some safety tips....thanks in advance....and if you're in jersey and by mcguire afb...come on and help - ...i'll be at the hobby shop...
Old 06-02-2006, 06:48 PM

Default Re: 98 civic Tranny (aznrexboi00)

Wow replacing a tranny. Kudos for doing it yourself. This is where we all gain valuable experience and a bit of pride after accomplishing the task.

When my friend ordered a clutch on ebay, it came with the clutch alignment tool, which was also stated on the product bidding page. I'm not sure if you absolutely positively HAVE to take the exhaust out but do it if you think its gonna get in the way. The transmission is a bit heavy (actually its more than a bit heavy) so you might want to be careful and have a transmission jack when taking it out unless you are one very strong individual or have two strong people to help you.

Safety tips? Use the transmission jack, know what you're doing by having an experienced person to watch you do it or a manual to give you directions on what to do next. Don't forget to flush and refill the new tranny with 5-30 motor oil or honda manual transmission fluid, either works. Honda was the only known manufacturer to have motor oil in their trannys I believe. Cool huh?

If you put bolts into zip lock bags and label them you'll know where they're suppose to go later! Thats what we did when me and a buddie did a cam swap. (We only had access to a shop for aprox. 1 or 2 hrs a day depending on the situation so its good to label things.)
Old 06-02-2006, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah, I usually do the zip lock bags and labels...hehe...thanks for replying...so you said tranny stand huh? so if i used the tranny stand....what will support the engine? hmm..so i need 2 stands? and heck no i aint strong..lol just picture an asian guy that weighs 115 soaked and wet...lol...well hopefully a friend could help..but thanks for the tips...let keep it going...more post!
Old 06-02-2006, 07:28 PM

Default Re: (aznrexboi00)

No kidding. Being an asian dude myself I know how you feel. Haha. Its a transmission jack and you don't have to drop the motor all the way to get the tranny out. I know of people who left one mount on and let it bend so you could slip the tranny out but they were professionals and I don't recommend you doing that.

You can either use an engine hoist or one of those bar things that extends across your engine bay and holds the engine while you loosen the mounts and drop it down a couple inches to get the tranny off. Thats what'll be supporting the engine. The transmission jack usually comes in red and looks somewhat like a very small plate on a hydraulic jack that goes up and down. Many are air operated so it goes up and down just like that. They also wobble to a certain angle so you can get the transmission back in place easier.

If you don't have those tools you can still do it. My friend did a complete motor swap along with tranny by dropping the motor out from under the car that sat on TWO jackstands as in one jack stand on another jack stand (totally dangerous) and then I believe they somehow manuevered the transmission in place on a very strong roller. This was back when we were all still in high school and did the ghetto backyard thing because we wanted to be COOL and have DOHC VTEC in our cars. rofl. I think they used a 2-ton or 3-ton floor jack with a big *** plop of wood jacked on the oil pan to support the motor. Pretty creative if you ask me.