Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

98 Civic Si\EX Knocking problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Civic Si\EX Knocking problem

hey guys me again...thanks a lot for the previous input..the link to adjust the cam worked great, the car starts up great and everything and does not stall at all now, but unfortuneately that damn knocking sound is still coming from the engine..i am not sure but i think the jackass at parts source might have given me the wrong size adjusters cuz i used the directions that he printted out for me..anyways i am going to go back tmr and confirm..i was just wondering if it could be another problem ?
Old 03-14-2007, 06:18 PM

Default Re: 98 Civic Si\EX Knocking problem (sweetbai00000)

i didn't read your previous post, but are you sure your engine is knocking? thats pretty ******* bad. You sure your valvetrain isn't just chattering from loose valve lash?
Old 03-14-2007, 06:29 PM

wow.. knocking?? that sucks... plan for a rebuild
Old 03-15-2007, 01:22 AM

Default Re: 98 Civic Si\EX Knocking problem (daliumong)

here's where i am at right now my friend, do you think you can offer any help ? what you mentioned does sound like it could be the problem but i am not sure what exactly that problem is ? i have a 1.6 sohc v-tec

Okay guys let’s try this one again…yesterday I was driving along normally until I came to a complete stop at a light when the engine turned off on it’s own…it had no problem starting back up but I found I had to rev the engine a little, I drove a few meters and noticed that I wasn’t get much power out of the engine and there was a knocking sound coming from the engine..and every time I hit the clutch or brought the car to a stop the engine would shut off on it’s own and I would have to restart it..it did turn off while it was in gear and moving only when I hit the clutch or stopped completely. I got home and turned it off for about five min and restarted it, this time it did not immediately cut off but cut off after I tried putting it in gear as it did before..I did some research and with the help of some great guys on this site I figured out I had to adjust the valves which I tried to do on my own and shortly after that the car would not start at all..so I came back on here and got the proper directions on what to do..I adjusted the valves and the timing is great now it starts fine and runs a little better than before no stalling or engine cutting off, the only problem now is that I still hear the knocking noise coming from the engine..I did however notice that on the site that you guys gave me it said to use 0.18mm - 0.27mm feeler gauges…but unfortunately I did not have any and went to parts source to buy a set of feeler gauges and the costumer service rep gave me a set of power built gauges…heres where I think I might have gone wrong because the feeler gauge that I used (got from parts source) for the intake says {SAE: .008 .203 MM} and for the exhaust valves I used the {SAE:.10 .254MM} this is what the idiot at parts source said I should be using but if I was supposed to use the .18mm and .27mm feeler gauges this might explain why I am still getting the knocking…I just drove the car around the block and back hopefully I didn’t bend any rods or anything….well that’s my story please let me know what you think , so if I should take back the feeler gauges I bought today and get another set and try the whole thing over again to see if it’s any better..thanks