Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

98 Civic - shuts off, alternator overcharge, O2 CEL code, speedo and other problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 02:19 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Civic - shuts off, alternator overcharge, O2 CEL code, speedo and other problems

Ok, so I have searched and searched for answers and am not really finding anything, so here goes.

I have a 1998 Civic EX with about 225K on it. Recently an odd issue has presented itself. At times, when I am driving and I touch the brakes, the power flashes to the radio (Aftermarket Sony Xplod installed by previous owner). It is only momentary, and it comes back on just like it does when I start the car. That was a minor annoyance, but one I could live with. However, recently it has gotten more frequent and there have even been times that the car shuts off. I had the alt and battery tested at Advance Auto parts and they both tested fine (slight overcharge on the battery, but nothing major). As far as aftermarket mods, there is an alarm, the radio, and a Xenon HID Kit all installed by the previous owner. Speedometer only works intermittently as well, even though the VSS was replaced (usually sits at about 20 mph when at speed, needle bounces around 20 when going slower).

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions as to what I might be able to check here because I am at a loss?
Old 01-15-2013, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Odd Electrical Issue

What is the over-charge voltage by the alternator?

Is 7.5A dash fuse 15 blown?

Any CEL codes?
Old 01-16-2013, 02:56 AM
Trial User

alternator overcharge was only a couple volts.

I will check the fuse and let you know, I presume you mean the under-dash fuse box.

Only current CEL code is for the Bank 1 Oxygen sensor, which probably just needs replaced at this point, it is the original one that came on the car.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by the_shadow_630
alternator overcharge was only a couple volts.
Given that normal charge voltage is ~14.5V, this^ implies that your overcharge voltage is ~16.5V, which is a huge problem that should be fixed immediately.

Only current CEL code is for the Bank 1 Oxygen sensor
Post the specific code.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:16 AM
Trial User

Default Re: 98 Civic - shuts off, alternator overcharge, O2 CEL code, speedo and other proble

I will have to have the specific code pulled again as they did not give me the specific code the last time I was at Advance.

I checked the fuse and it did not look blown, but given that there was a spare 7.5A fuse already there, I went ahead and changed it out. After I did that the car seemed to do ok for about a day or so, but my wife called and said that it cut off on her this morning when she hit the brake. She restarted it and it was fine.

I will have when I get the code pulled I will also get them to test the battery and alternator again so I can get a specific number on the overcharge, I may be remembering it wrong as the tech there did not seem worried about it.

Something that I don't think I included in the original posting was that there were a couple of times that I would turn the car on and the radio was reset completely to its factory settings (Demo mode, clock was reset, all of the memorized radio stations gone). I also noticed that one of the headlights (driver side) burns less brightly than the other, and that is the side that I had to replace the ballast on.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 98 Civic - shuts off, alternator overcharge, O2 CEL code, speedo and other proble

When you turn the key from off to ON(II) (engine not running), does the charging system light (battery symbol) in the cluster turn on and stay on?

Voltage test installed 7.5A fuse 15. Click the Test Fuses and the Fuse 15 link in my signature.

The reset was probably caused by you or a mechanic disconnecting the battery.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmmm.... most alarms control the lights and remote start alarms kick the vehicle off when you touch the brake without the key. Just throwing this out there but perhaps the alarm or stereo is going bad, or wired wrong??? Any chance of a wire hanging that is getting caught or grounding out on the brake pedal arm up inside the bottom of the dash - thus the problem when you hit the brakes???
Old 01-17-2013, 06:53 PM
Trial User

The battery light does stay on when the key is turned to ON.

I do not have a multimeter to test the fuse with.

The battery was not disconnected by anyone before the radio reset, the car was cut off, then the next time I started the car, the radio was reset to its factory defaults.

The alarm on the car is a basic intrusion and keyless entry system, no remote start. Can check for hanging wires. the wired wrong piece would be odd to me because the entire system has been working flawlessly for over 5 years, so if it was wired wrong, I would imagine it would have already malfunctioned before now.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:56 AM
Trial User

You can close this thread now, the starter motor on the car went out yesterday, so I had it towed in to a dealership and we are going to just trade it in at this point. Thanks for all the help though.